PDA

View Full Version : I-Phone looks cool

steveneddy
June 5th, 2007, 02:30 AM
I just saw the new commercial for the new iPhone.

This thing looks so cool.

I think I want one.

Bakerconspiracy
June 5th, 2007, 02:36 AM
I most definitely want one. Apple is defining the new generation of phones and I really appreciate it. I was a the apple convention when they introduced the new phone and people were stomping their black berries after the presentation :D. It's time for a phone with the WLAN capabilities. I hope this hits the microsoft phone os bad when it comes out ;)

Quillz
June 5th, 2007, 02:41 AM
I most definitely want one. Apple is defining the new generation of phones and I really appreciate it. I was a the apple convention when they introduced the new phone and people were stomping their black berries after the presentation :D. It's time for a phone with the WLAN capabilities. I hope this hits the microsoft phone os bad when it comes out ;)
If this is the new generation of phones, I'm not so sure I'd want one. It's not so much the iPhone itself I dislike, but the fact that AT&T gets a free monopoly on it. I can only imagine how much they'll charge, and get away with it.

dbbolton
June 5th, 2007, 03:05 AM
i'd prefer openmoko.

SoulinEther
June 5th, 2007, 03:07 AM
I got Cingular. And I won't be getting an iPhone.

Oh the irony, ;)

starcraft.man
June 5th, 2007, 03:13 AM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gysb9JYFn3k) is the only iPhone I ever thought was cool. :D

Apple should be making that one. Though, I guess I'm not too bothered, I've never bought any apple products ever...

fuscia
June 5th, 2007, 03:15 AM
iphone = black widow

SoulinEther
June 5th, 2007, 03:17 AM
iPhone = me waiting for an open source alternative.

it could happen!

bikeboy
June 5th, 2007, 03:19 AM
i'd prefer openmoko.

Me too, looking forward to the public release of the Neo1973 with it, September I think.

Off topic:
Is it just me or is the whole 'phone tied to particular carrier' thing stupid? We should be able to choose any phone we want for our plans, rather than needing a particular carrier for a certain phone.

SoulinEther, this is what you're looking for.

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Main_Page

SoulinEther
June 5th, 2007, 03:20 AM
Even worse, my internet plan must be tied to my phone provider.

My DSL gives me free dialup. I'd like to be able to use it with my phone. Gah, the possibilities!

fuscia
June 5th, 2007, 03:24 AM
if i haven't mentioned this before, keep this and all other phones tf away from me. drop me a smoke signal every once in a while.

dbbolton
June 5th, 2007, 03:31 AM
if i haven't mentioned this before, keep this and all other phones tf away from me. drop me a smoke signal every once in a while.
iPhone users will be easily avoidable. they can be heard from blocks away, shouting over their music during calls.

fuscia
June 5th, 2007, 03:34 AM
iPhone users will be easily avoidable. they can be heard from blocks away, shouting over their music during calls.

that's right, and they all live north of raleigh, while i live southwest.

Sunflower1970
June 5th, 2007, 03:36 AM
I just saw the iPhone commercial myself and was going to come here to post about it.

Now, that just "wow'ed" me. Almost makes me want to get one. (more impressive than Surface IMHO)

...but the price deters me, a bit. I'd rather wait for the Razr2 or Rizr which are supposed to have Linux on them...or even the openmoko...

steveneddy
June 5th, 2007, 03:42 AM

Keep it down guys - I'm rockin' out with my new iPhone.

dbbolton
June 5th, 2007, 03:47 AM
I just saw the iPhone commercial myself and was going to come here to post about it.

Now, that just "wow'ed" me. Almost makes me want to get one. (more impressive than Surface IMHO)

...but the price deters me, a bit. I'd rather wait for the Razr2 or Rizr which are supposed to have Linux on them...or even the openmoko...

the motorola Scalpl will be linux-based, too.

Keep it down guys - I'm rockin' out with my new iPhone.

can you hear me now?

steveneddy
June 5th, 2007, 03:52 AM
can you hear me now?

WHAT!

Bakerconspiracy
June 5th, 2007, 03:54 AM
If this is the new generation of phones, I'm not so sure I'd want one. It's not so much the iPhone itself I dislike, but the fact that AT&T gets a free monopoly on it. I can only imagine how much they'll charge, and get away with it.

Well yea the only G3 capable part sucks, but you cannot deny that another carrier will be coming out with a phone just like the iphone soon. Actually I was reading the BBC the other day and Ubuntu was creating a phone os. It might be a year or two, but soon enough you might own a phone with Ubuntu! Sorry I can't seem to find the link for this info.

fuscia
June 5th, 2007, 03:55 AM
show me a phone that'll mow the lawn and i'll soften my bitter viewpoint.

SoulinEther
June 5th, 2007, 04:02 AM
Direct me as well to such phone.

OpenMoko looks cool, too.

SoloSalsa
June 6th, 2007, 01:55 AM
I have been waiting for OpenMoko, too. It would be the most awesome thing if only it had WiFi and a camera. I mean, practically all phones have cameras now. And WiFi, internet, come on! That's where all the open source development is! Or, for Skype, at least...

ThinkBuntu
June 6th, 2007, 02:03 AM
$500 for a phone? Mine's a $20 Sanyo Vi-2300. Looks good, works great. I much prefer the awesome $570 Electra Amsterdam bike I just bought. And I'm saving for a motorcycle...

ThinkBuntu
June 6th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Oh, and I forgot. CDMA sounds like a land line (real phone) and GSM sounds like a walkie-talkie. At best, when you're using GSM, everyone you're talking to knows you're on a mobile. Which is why I'll always use Sprint as my only phone.

riven0
June 6th, 2007, 02:37 AM
I thought the i-Phone couldn't run third party applications. If that's the case, I don't see the use for it. In either case, I refuse to carry a cellphone. Nothing but a headache.

jrusso2
June 6th, 2007, 02:58 AM
I don't need an iPhone with a $500 price tag for the low line model and two year contract. DRM and no third party apps.

I don't care how cool it looks

FuturePilot
June 6th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Definitely don't want one.

areteichi
June 6th, 2007, 04:02 AM
It is a great shame to see free software users getting hyped up over products like iphone. Oh wait, indeed that is why we have the convenient term 'open-source', so people don't have to give up or compromise their choices at all when they see something conflicting with their wants and desires. They support open-source in one area by saying proprietary is inferior to open-source, while in other areas, they forget about it because they simply think 'it is cool'.

I guess that's why I advocate free software and not open-source, I do not like this sort of pragmatic views for I think such views are inconsistent and capricious. As Kant writes, "the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."

Well with this thread, I was introduced to openmoko which I wasn't aware of before. Now, that's pretty exciting.

PartisanEntity
June 6th, 2007, 10:03 AM
I must say I am quite impressed with the iPhone, I like the design and the features. If the price is not too steep then I may get one should it become available in Europe. I have always been a fan of multi-purpose phones with large screens, and the iPhone seems to have it all.

sorcererx84
June 6th, 2007, 10:35 AM
I'd buy an iPhone if I had the money but my second pick would be Qtopia Greenphone (http://trolltech.com/products/qtopia/greenphone). Probably the most hackable phone in the world :D.

SoloSalsa
June 7th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Greenphone is nice, too. But, it costs a bit more than OpenMoko, and has a little less of the simple innovative cool appeal to it.