PDA

View Full Version : What game are you playing this time Billy?

Prisma
June 4th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Microsoft is partnering with its most threatening competition: Linux distributors. But what for? What is the strategy of Microsoft this time? Many years ago Microsoft did the same with IBM and other colossal vendors. Now all we know how the story ended. So, I am wondering pretty seriously if there is a plot for Linux? These guys are up to something, i know that is just I cant figure it out what is it.

Any ideas or comments?

I copied this article from a news website so everybody can read it and know what I am talking about.

;)

Microsoft Enlists Second Linux Vendor For Controversial Patent Covenants

12:16 PM EDT Mon. Jun. 04, 2007
In a Tech-Ed keynote laden with predictable demos and execuspeak about "dynamic IT for the people-ready business," Microsoft quietly slipped in a bombshell: Linux vendor Xandros has signed on for a broad alliance that includes Microsoft's controversial patent-covenant protection.

The deal mirrors the one Microsoft struck with Novell in November, which includes intellectual property license rights guaranteeing that neither vendor will sue the other or their customers for patent infringements. While Microsoft hasn't backed its rhetoric with legal action, the company claims that the Linux operating system infringes hundreds of its patents.

Bob Muglia, senior vice president in charge of Microsoft's server and tools business, slipped mention of the Xandros deal into his opening keynote at Tech-Ed, being held this week in Orlando, Fla.

"We work with industry partners to ensure that when customers want to use open-source software, they can do so with the knowledge and security that the software offers all the licenses and rights that the software requires," Muglia said.

Xandros is one of many second-tier vendors vying for a share of the enterprise Linux market. The Debian-based distribution is its desktop operating system, but during the past year Xandros has shipped business servers for SMB and corporate audiences. In a competitive bake-off of Linux desktops for enterprise users, CRN's Test Center ranked the Xandros 4 Professional Desktop second, behind Novell's SUSE Enterprise Linux Desktop.

Microsoft's deal with Novell sparked a firestorm of criticism from open-source advocates irate at the idea of Microsoft pressuring Linux vendors to pay fees to license its intellectual property or risk lawsuits against them and/or their customers over the infringements alledgedly lurking in Linux.

While Microsoft's arrangement heavily favored Novell, financially "- Microsoft agreed to give Novell approximately $350 million for software purchases and a licensing "balancing payment" -- it also set a precedent of a Linux vendor paying Microsoft to stave off patent litigation and tacitly legitimize Microsoft's intellectual property claims. Novell agreed to make ongoing payments to Microsoft of at least $40 million over the next five years, based on a percentage of its Linux platform and server revenue.

A Microsoft representative said the company is not releasing any details on its financial arrangements with Xandros.

Not eager to wade into a legal morass, Microsoft is hoping to resolve its licensing dispute with Linux distributors through alliances rather than lawsuits. But some key players have balked: Red Hat published a manifesto in opposition and pledged never to pay an "innovation tax," and the Free Software Foundation reworked the soon-to-be-adopted GNU General Public License 3 to prohibit users of GPL 3 software from entering patent-convenant arrangements that protect only their customers.

Swab
June 4th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Microsoft says Linux violates 250 of it's patents.
Microsoft pays a couple of Linux vendors to give credibility to this claim.
IT managers get scared and only buy from Microsoft approved vendors.
Microsoft wins.

That's what I think they are thinking anyway. Don't believe it will work out for them though :)

Ebuntor
June 4th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Don't believe it will work out for them though :)

I really hope you're right! :neutral:

jrusso2
June 4th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Microsoft says Linux violates 250 of it's patents.
Microsoft pays a couple of Linux vendors to give credibility to this claim.
IT managers get scared and only buy from Microsoft approved vendors.
Microsoft wins.

That's what I think they are thinking anyway. Don't believe it will work out for them though :)

It already appears to be working. Corp execs are scared of being sued by MS and are asking linux distros to make these deals.

I would expect more of these to be announced soon.

Linspire is working on one now

use a name
June 4th, 2007, 10:54 PM
If they are talking to the distro's, then that's a moment to explain things.

Maybe some general press release can be set up in which all out-of-the-pact distro's explain their deal with MS:

"No need for a deal." With all necessary explanations.

Swab
June 4th, 2007, 10:58 PM
It already appears to be working. Corp execs are scared of being sued by MS and are asking linux distros to make these deals.

But we all know MS are not going to sue anyone because most of these patents are bogus.

jgrabham
June 4th, 2007, 11:07 PM
We all know that ubuntu will never give in to them!

Adamant1988
June 4th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Deals like this one are made in the name of business, and the fact is, Microsoft is losing business. Their BIG customers are saying: "Look, we're going to use Linux either way, so shove off." Which is what's promoting Microsoft to work on interoperability agreements like the ones with Xandros and Novell. Microsoft can either be a blessing to work with, or a curse, in this case it's a boon for the rarity that the company accepts the deal.

Honestly, I doubt there is some master plan. Microsoft might make be trying to set up it's successors of Windows so that it can stay profitable in the OS market while Windows use declines. But, no one really knows but them.

Adamant1988
June 4th, 2007, 11:14 PM

Linspire stands to benefit GREATLY from a deal like that with Microsoft. Since one of their main 'features' is compatibility with Microsoft's formats. More interoperability and such between those two companies would probably be a great thing for Linspire co.

jrusso2
June 4th, 2007, 11:27 PM
But we all know MS are not going to sue anyone because most of these patents are bogus.

We may know but this is not going to keep business quiet.

smoker
June 4th, 2007, 11:47 PM
it's ms divide and conquer tactics, they're obviously hoping to bribe, coerce, tempt, pay off, as many distros as possible to start a domino effect... the trouble with toplling dominos is, though, once they start, they're hard to stop. i would like to see some 'no-go' pacts made by the main distros to not deal with ms.

Adamant1988
June 4th, 2007, 11:57 PM
it's ms divide and conquer tactics, they're obviously hoping to bribe, coerce, tempt, pay off, as many distros as possible to start a domino effect... the trouble with toplling dominos is, though, once they start, they're hard to stop. i would like to see some 'no-go' pacts made by the main distros to not deal with ms.

I don't believe that. I truly do think that these deals are being made with the customers in mind. Right now, companies that play on Microsoft's field will see an immediate advantage. We will just have to see how Xandros benefits from this, if it means growth for a distribution that stopped mattering a long time ago, then that is good.

smoker
June 5th, 2007, 12:03 AM
I don't believe that. I truly do think that these deals are being made with the customers in mind. Right now, companies that play on Microsoft's field will see an immediate advantage. We will just have to see how Xandros benefits from this, if it means growth for a distribution that stopped mattering a long time ago, then that is good.

well, i guess time will ultimately tell, but normally, in life, when little fishes decide to play with the shark, everything is fine, till the shark gets hungry:(

Adamant1988
June 5th, 2007, 12:07 AM
well, i guess time will ultimately tell, but normally, in life, when little fishes decide to play with the shark, everything is fine, till the shark gets hungry:(

Actually, it's entirely possible for certain types of fish, and sharks to have a symbiotic relationship. So the analogy works to that extent. Linux distributions are just not an appetizing menu item for the Redmond behemoth, because trying to kill them off is just a fruitless strategy.

Andrewie
June 5th, 2007, 12:16 AM
I believe Adamant1988 has got it right, I see these as nothing but business. This is hard for a lot of people but Microsoft isn't some great "evil", its competition. Its time to wake up, Linux is no longer a basement O.S. its big business.

jiminycricket
June 5th, 2007, 01:13 AM
The problem is circumventing the GPL via patent licenses to customers, as this (http://www.itnews.com.au/newsstory.aspx?CIaNID=53516&src=site-marq) article states Xandros is doing (royalty payments to MS). The strength of the GPL is that it prevents the incompatible forks that the UNIX world fell into.

If you think MS is for interoperability, you are definitely in for a surprise on what they mean by that.