PDA

View Full Version : Please, speed up KUbuntu

speedygeo
June 4th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Why Kubuntu is less faster than MEPIS or openSUSE?
I tested on the 3D games.
Please, speed up K/Ubuntu!!

pbw
June 5th, 2007, 12:24 AM
kubuntu runs plenty fast for me (i was pleasantly surprised). If you're unhappy with the speed, then shut off unneeded services and startup daemons. Maybe check a better kernel and install preload as well. There's a ton of howtos popping up almost daily on tweaking *buntu for speed. Take a look around, but be sure to understand and read what the tweaks do before blindly applying them,

If your complaint is regarding 3d games, perhaps you just need to install the propriety driver for your video card.

-- pbw

Andrewie
June 5th, 2007, 12:59 AM
kde4 should see a speed boost

zgornel
June 7th, 2007, 01:25 PM
kde4 should see a speed boost

Provided they put it into 7.10 at least ;)

mips
June 7th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Provided they put it into 7.10 at least ;)

Estimated release date is 23 October 2007. Somehow I dont think it will find its way into 7.10

http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.0_Release_Roadmap

Erunno
June 7th, 2007, 01:35 PM
From my subjective experience Kubuntu is slower than openSUSE out of the box. Applications start faster on openSUSE and the desktop feels more responsive. I'm not sure what causes this but judging by all the people that claim SuSE is bloated and slow the Kubuntu developers must be doing something horribly wrong.

maniacmusician
June 7th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Estimated release date is 23 October 2007. Somehow I dont think it will find its way into 7.10

http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.0_Release_Roadmap
might have the beta

Detonate
June 7th, 2007, 01:39 PM
I'm not unhappy with my Kubuntu speed. But I noticed an improvement when I upgraded to KDE 3.5.7.

I tried PCLinuxOS-2007 on another partition, nice distro, but very slow.

DigitalDuality
June 7th, 2007, 03:15 PM
d

speedygeo
June 17th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Now, It works very good!!
Because I have updated the kernel?

PhatStreet
June 17th, 2007, 04:12 AM
Kubuntu was decently fast for me, but there were times when it just froze during a task, which didn't happen on any other distro for the same tasks and general use. The constant crashes were also enough to drive me away from Kubuntu for the time being. Perhaps I'll give it another chance next release.

speedygeo
June 17th, 2007, 04:29 AM
I consider kubuntu is fast enough. I have an /home partition. When I installed kubuntu after I had previous another distro the /home had pollution. I cleaned it from all the files (and hidden files) that didn't contain my data.
After that the crashes became a rare thing.
After I fixed kubuntu video issue for my ATI using the MEPIS XWindow utility it runs well. Why? I don't know!

Castar
June 17th, 2007, 05:13 PM
I also believe that openSUSE has a faster and more responsive KDE. True, it takes more time to startup and shutdown, but the actual performance is very very good.

zgornel
June 19th, 2007, 01:31 PM
I also believe that openSUSE has a faster and more responsive KDE. True, it takes more time to startup and shutdown, but the actual performance is very very good.
Interesting. I was curious about Fedora 7 and their KDE, seemed to be fast even though KDE is still the same in every distro (at least it should be).

Castar
June 19th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Interesting. I was curious about Fedora 7 and their KDE, seemed to be fast even though KDE is still the same in every distro (at least it should be).

I think it has to do with the compilation options, if I'm correct openSUSE compile their packages for i586 whereas K/Ubuntu for i386, so there are more optimisations.

I might be wrong though :)

photomusti
February 27th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I have an oldskool laptop :) HP 4150 omnibook that has mobile p2 and 128 mb ram. I installed Kubuntu 7.10 on it and i turned off some KDE effects (shadows, show window content etc.), now my laptop's speed is pretty fast than before .. but still "some" slow..
Any ideas ?

Joeb454
February 27th, 2008, 12:11 AM
KDE might be a bit too heavyweight for a laptop with those specs.

I'd try Xubuntu, or possibly even Fluxbuntu :)

photomusti
March 3rd, 2008, 02:23 AM
thanks Joeb454 :) i tried Xubuntu before. but i didnt like the interface and visulation of Xubuntu. so i guess it will bearable for me with my laptop's config.