PDA

View Full Version : What new software would you like to programmers do for linux?

visionaire
June 4th, 2007, 09:24 PM
I want to learn python + GTK or QT, and curious what kind of software Linux lacks, not game please, nor photoshop clon, last night i remember webshots desktop software from windows, exists some app similar to that in gnome or kde?

Sorry if i repeat existing threads

juxtaposed
June 4th, 2007, 09:32 PM
The major thing linux lacks, in my opinion, is a really good GUI to encode DVDs to H.264/Xvid/Theora, that supports AAC/Vorbis/MP3 audio, and can use Matroska/OGG/OGM/MP4 containers that is easy to use, and can do things automatically if wanted, but can also do things manually. And the ability to set a target fileszie would be great.

Sure, there is mplayer, even though it's not a GUI; but still.

Then there are many GUIs for different command line programs, but i've found them all to have one (major) problem or another.

If by some odd chance of luck someone does that, i'd most likly probably be able to test it for them.

If I ever learned to program, I would consider adding support for my favorite formats to thoggen.

BigSilly
June 4th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I'd love to see a DVD ripping and burning suite that's as easy to use and update as DVDFab Decrypter and DVDShrink in Windows. K9 Copy is excellent, but doesn't seem to quite give me the control over picture quality that DVDShrink does, and the alternative programs are practically nonsensical to me. That's about it really. It's all I keep XP around for anyway.

ButteBlues
June 4th, 2007, 09:39 PM
What I want most, in all honesty, is a working application to completely manage all aspects of Del.icio.us bookmarks _and_ sync them with Firefox at the same time. Frankly put, all the browser add-ons for Del.icio.us on all platforms are fairly inadequate.

juxtaposed
June 4th, 2007, 09:42 PM
I'd love to see a DVD ripping and burning suite that's as easy to use and update as DVDFab Decrypter and DVDShrink in Windows.

I see the potential for an amazing new suite of video applications, that includes the features of AutoGK, Nero Recode, DVDShrink, etc to compress DVDs to smaller DVDs, and compress DVDs to more efficient formats :)

visionaire
June 4th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Seems like a DVD suite is popular request!

Adamant1988
June 4th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I want to learn python + GTK or QT, and curious what kind of software Linux lacks, not game please, nor photoshop clon, last night i remember webshots desktop software from windows, exists some app similar to that in gnome or kde?

Sorry if i repeat existing threads

Personally, I would like to see some productivity software that innovates rather than clones. I'm not really particularly thrilled with how OpenOffice.org develops (matching functions with Microsoft Office). So, I would be particularly happy with even a Word - like program that takes a more innovative stance to Microsoft's Office. Interoperable and then some. Oh, and please make that integrate well into the KDE environment... thanks for offering to help out. People like you make open-source work.

visionaire
June 4th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Yeah I'm frustrated with OO myself, sometimes is just hard to come up with a totally innovative idea, but that a nice community like this are for, brainstorming ideas and make it real, although, I'm not that talented software writer either but i make attempts :P

Adamant1988
June 4th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Yeah I'm frustrated with OO myself, sometimes is just hard to come up with a totally innovative idea, but that a nice community like this are for, brainstorming ideas and make it real, although, I'm not that talented software writer either but i make attempts :P

Haha, we all have our talents, I suppose. Honestly, I like how light Abiword is, but I'm thoroughly disappointed by it's functionality. A light, easily extensible, word processor would be a great addition to the open source applications of today. Honestly, if I had the code knowledge to create applications like this myself, I'd do it in a heart beat.

I think whatever you create, should be light, and extensible. That is one thing about firefox that I love, it's a platform for plugins, and because of the fact that it's a platform I can't stop using it. Truly, whatever you make, plugins should be easy to install and available. Definitely try to get some more developer mind share for whatever it is though.

Prisma
June 4th, 2007, 11:29 PM
I would like to see a decent application to clone DVDs and games and create images out of them like alcohol 120% does. And also, something with a decent GUI and a wizard that would allow you to set up your webcam and make it automatically available to IM programs like amsn or kopete.

Just my 2 cents :D

aktiwers
June 4th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Or a simple GUI app that mounts ISO's. I think this is easy, maybe there is already such an app?

Or a plugin for Nautilus that makes a bottun that says "Make root here". I have the script, would be nice with a bottun.

Znupi
June 4th, 2007, 11:41 PM
The thing I'd like to see most is a better IM client. I'm using GAIM and I have only one account, on Yahoo!. Now, the thing is, I can't receive files, I can't have an avatar (I can set it but it doesn't show up) and I can't chat with MSN-users (I could on Windows using Yahoo! Messenger 8.*). That's the thing I pretty much miss most :(

Edit: that and Paint.NET, but I won't get into that. I'll probably try to get a vm running some time during holidays, and use that to run XP.

visionaire
June 4th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Or a simple GUI app that mounts ISO's. I think this is easy, maybe there is already such an app?.

Maybe i'll make that this night just because i like your eyelash lol :P

tagra123
June 4th, 2007, 11:44 PM
I'd love to see a DVD ripping and burning suite that's as easy to use and update as DVDFab Decrypter and DVDShrink in Windows. K9 Copy is excellent, but doesn't seem to quite give me the control over picture quality that DVDShrink does, and the alternative programs are practically nonsensical to me. That's about it really. It's all I keep XP around for anyway.

DVD Decrypter and DVDShrink work perfectly using wine.

Here's the how to.

http://mrbass.org/linux/ubuntu/dvdshrink/

tagra123
June 4th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Or a simple GUI app that mounts ISO's. I think this is easy, maybe there is already such an app?

Or a plugin for Nautilus that makes a bottun that says "Make root here". I have the script, would be nice with a bottun.

I found these a while back. Seems I had to make an adjustment somewhere to make it work the way I wanted -- I think it may have been a typo on my part. Anyway two link to mount and unmount isos.

http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Mount_ISO_script

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=87369

smoker
June 4th, 2007, 11:54 PM
i would like to see more gui equivalents to the cli. the cli is fine and i don't advocade replacing or undermining it, but i prefer the click-click method everytime:-)

juxtaposed
June 5th, 2007, 12:02 AM
I would like to see a decent application to clone DVDs and games and create images out of them like alcohol 120% does.

Or a simple GUI app that mounts ISO's.

Both could be part of the potential DVD suite :)

visionaire
June 5th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Both could be part of the potential DVD suite :)

Yes, indeed...

visionaire
June 5th, 2007, 12:25 AM
I dunno if i'm so much a dreamer, but wouldn't be cool if we can make sort of a "comunity software designer enterprise", so, the comunity pick a sotware to develop, for example, this DVD suite, and all of us make the effort to make it good and right, programmers, artist, testers,people in general, and then, move to another app that we choose, etc...

Adamant1988
June 5th, 2007, 12:28 AM
I dunno if i'm so much a dreamer, but wouldn't be cool if we can make sort of a "comunity software designer enterprise", so, the comunity pick a sotware to develop, for example, this DVD suite, and all of us make the effort to make it good and right, programmers, artist, testers,people in general, and then, move to another app that we choose, etc...

I would personally like to see a software collaboration site, like launchpad and then some. It should use sort of a demand based interface to float the priority of applications to the top, and users should, in turn, be able to vote with their wallets to donate X amount of money to a pool of money for that particular piece of software. The person to make the software happen will get the money for it. Perhaps more like Digg + Launchpad + Google Code. lol.

ButteBlues
June 5th, 2007, 12:39 AM
I would personally like to see a software collaboration site, like launchpad and then some. It should use sort of a demand based interface to float the priority of applications to the top, and users should, in turn, be able to vote with their wallets to donate X amount of money to a pool of money for that particular piece of software. The person to make the software happen will get the money for it. Perhaps more like Digg + Launchpad + Google Code. lol.
That's actually a very good idea.

23meg
June 5th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Launchpad already has a bounty system, but there are plans and suggestions to make it better integrated, as well as of implementing collective bounties, where a large group of people with small amounts of money would be able to place collective bounties on a specification. You'll find a couple of related specs for Launchpad if you do a search.

Adamant1988
June 5th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Launchpad already has a bounty system, but there are plans and suggestions to make it better integrated, as well as of implementing collective bounties, where a large group of people with small amounts of money would be able to place collective bounties on a specification. You'll find a couple of related specs for Launchpad if you do a search.

Yeah, I'm liking launchpad a bit, but I find it too slow to navigate most times. Every time I visit launchpad, it's almost grudgingly.

visionaire
June 5th, 2007, 12:54 AM
well, I'm a programmer in the windows world, that's my job, doing financial and database oriented application for banks, etc, i don't have experience either in Linux, nor multimedia like programming, but that is why i want to get involved and learn, i think i will grasp language like python or ruby easily, it just will be nice if this idea can grow so we can do something useful for us, I'm in whatever project this community impulses, i like the idea of Adam very much

ButteBlues
June 5th, 2007, 01:01 AM
well, I'm a programmer in the windows world, that's my job, doing financial and database oriented application for banks, etc, i don't have experience either in Linux, nor multimedia like programming, but that is why i want to get involved and learn, i think i will grasp language like python or ruby easily, it just will be nice if this idea can grow so we can do something useful for us, I'm in whatever project this community impulses, i like the idea of Adam very much
Just so you know, you can fo .NET C# over Mono in Linux. :)

Adamant1988
June 5th, 2007, 01:01 AM

Open will always be a winner, whether the code is open, or the program is open, open wins because it can be made a platform.

Firefox - is open-source, and open (extensions can be developed by ANYONE) which makes it a blessing as a browser.

Facebook - is closed source (AFAIK) and open as in applications can be developed for it to integrate right into the site. Because of this is it is now my most used social network, and a lot of my friends have started really using it a lot more.

So, I'm proposing that you develop something this community needs, (I'd like a better word processor) and you can then let the community innovate by offering plugins for the application. Also, whatever you make, I have a request. PLEASE let it be cross platform, I want to be able to offer this application up to my windowsy friends.

visionaire
June 5th, 2007, 01:17 AM
sure thing, the only thing that can motivate me to make a sotware is people, specially this community and linux en general, i'm so bored to code in my daily work but i need to survive :P
Of course will be open, i just doing research of what the most of us want/need right now, i know will be fun for me to learn and do it

Adamant1988
June 5th, 2007, 01:19 AM
sure thing, the only thing that can motivate me to make a sotware is people, specially this community and linux en general, i'm so bored to code in my daily work but i need to survive :P
Of course will be open, i just doing research of what the most of us want/need right now, i know will be fun for me to learn and do it

Perhaps you could utilize the input we've given you and turn that into a poll for another thread? Although I would wait for more suggestions.

init1
June 5th, 2007, 03:10 AM
One of the most complained about things about linux is its lack of game support. Many people say they only use windows for games, so maybe a really good wine alternative would be nice. Wine is not very reliable for me, and there just isn't much choice went it comes to such things.

sparkster666
June 5th, 2007, 03:14 AM
I would like to see a winscp for linux

SoulinEther
June 5th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Cross platform? Like that one guy said, Mono wlll be pretty useful for someone who already knows how to program in windows.

visionaire
June 5th, 2007, 03:46 AM

You have scp in Linux, of course is console-based, but is weird that no one made a GUI for it, that could be a nice little project to start with

Znupi
June 5th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Umm... have you ever tried to open nautilus, and type in the location bar

ssh://[server]:[port]

? ... It works for me :)

Prisma
June 5th, 2007, 08:38 PM

I think that your idea is quite interesting. That way we could support great software like Amarok or amsn. deves could make a living out of coding free software... quite interesting

Prisma
June 5th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Cross platform? Like that one guy said, Mono wlll be pretty useful for someone who already knows how to program in windows.

what about that new technology called Lina? http://www.openlina.com/

aktiwers
June 5th, 2007, 11:15 PM
I found these a while back. Seems I had to make an adjustment somewhere to make it work the way I wanted -- I think it may have been a typo on my part. Anyway two link to mount and unmount isos.

http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Mount_ISO_script

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=87369

Thanks I will have a look at them, though I have tried some scripts.
A small gui based app would be nice :)

@visionaire (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=237425)
Sounds great! Cant wait :P

tagra123
June 6th, 2007, 04:15 AM

Try gftp for ftp (universe repository -- I think)

for scp from the terminal type man scp -- I don't recall seeing a gui scp for linux - - that would be nice.

Eoghanalbar
June 6th, 2007, 05:23 AM
I'm jumping in here without reading anything, sorry, but I wanted to say that maybe the most efficient way to improve the quality and range of linux, in the long run, would be to write programs that helped people to learn programming. :P

About computers in general, in fact.

the_darkside_986
June 6th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Maybe instead of cloning existing programs we could invent our own unique software technology--for example, gnash is a good project and good idea--to create a free open flash player, but what if the community developed our own browser-embedded virtual machine language that would be original and add our own ideas for features?

I mean, flash is closed-source and clumsy, and Java will be "free" to redistribute whenever pigs learn to fly. I did some messing around with virtual machine by writing my own virtual machine assembly byte code language. It doesn't really do anything but it is a start. If I knew how to write browser plug-ins I would learn more.

delfick
June 6th, 2007, 07:32 AM
excuse me whilst i "accidently" don't read pages before this one.....

what would be good is an opensource alternative to the flash ide :D

you could help convert flashdevelop to linux :D http://www.flashdevelop.org/community/viewtopic.php?t=615&highlight=linux

jonathan21
June 6th, 2007, 08:25 AM
I totally agree more audio and video encoders.also something that does not crash as much as wine would be nice.other than that am happy with current programs

bullgr
June 6th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Id' like to see a full dvd suite
-video editor to render mpeg ready for dvd authoring (without the need to re-render in dvd authoring tool the mpeg's)
-dvd ripper like dvdfab (with updates for every new lock appears in dvd's)
-dvd authoring tool to create dvd's with professional look (not just a background image and text buttons like dvdstyler)

mech7
June 6th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Something like After Effects would be nice :D

bailout
June 6th, 2007, 01:04 PM
I have been meaning to write a post on this for a while. One of the big problems in floss, as I see it, is the adhoc development of apps. If you look at the sites like kde apps there are lots of similar projects that never really get anywhere and it seems like a waste of resources. I am not a programmer and am very gratefull for those who write the apps I use but I do wish the process was more organised and productive.

Instead of starting your own project couldn't you either pick up an existing app that would be useful but has died or join an app in development that needs more help? Apollon is a great potential app that provides p2p in a native linux app but I found it quite unstable and it hasn't been updated or developed further for a couple of years now.

If you are experienced in finance type apps what about joining one of the projects currently developing those apps. kmymoney is good in a lot of ways but development seems very slow over the past year I have been using it. Digikam and Krita are both in very active development but could always need more help. etc etc

I can understand why someone wnts to do their own thing but it would often be more help to join in existing projects.

Scruffynerf
June 6th, 2007, 02:11 PM
I'd like to add my name to a DVD backup utility with a usable GUI as well. If it'll strip out DRM from the DVD / CD / Games then that's a bonus!

I'd also like to see a linux port of something like Daemon Tools (http://www.daemon-tools.cc), - something that will mount a .iso or other image file as a usable drive.

Something else that i'd like to see (but don't know if it's technically or 'patentally'/ legally possible) is something that can virtualise an application (or even the Windows OS directly) from an existing install - say as a dualboot option, to be able to run windows applications 'natively' through a virtual window. So, instead of pointing to the XP Disc in a drive, point to the windows directory on the NTFS partitions that users may have. That way, people are using the licenced XP installs that their computers often will have come with, in addition to running windows only software natively, without the hassles of Wine etc.

cheers

Scruffy

Edit: Oh - how about a script that allows users to securely delete files that can be run from a right-click in Nautilus?

EdThaSlayer
June 6th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Here are some of the things I would like to say:
1. A plugin for Pidgin that allows voice or video to work
2. An easy to use video editor, which allows you to edit videos more easily than the Microsoft Windows Moviemaker 2 and allows many plugins for effects and such

silent1643
June 6th, 2007, 05:09 PM
how about make other programs that are hard to install for others easier!

examples: conky, make a gui based config or OnTv.. it took me 5 minutes of reading how to install this to learn that this potiental program wasn't worth my time even tho i wanted to use it or at least try it :D

delfick
June 8th, 2007, 01:11 PM
or a program that makes it easy to launch programs in other x displays with the click of a button :D