PDA

View Full Version : swap takes 30 mins to start

miketowninc
June 4th, 2007, 08:16 PM
is that normal. I did ubuntu with 500 mb and it took 18 mins or so and then i did ubuntustodio with a 1 gb swap and it takes 30 mins to activate the swap file. is that normail. how much swap should i paritition i have 256 ram

ago
June 4th, 2007, 08:24 PM
No it's not normal.
Copy over any another file of 256 MM. Then from linux:

sudo mkswap /media/host/wubi/disks/swap.virtual.disk
sudo swapon -a

miketowninc
June 4th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Copy over any another file of 256 MM. Then from linux:

what does htat mean sorry

ago
June 4th, 2007, 08:41 PM
It's a way to create a brand new swap virtual disk.

miketowninc
June 4th, 2007, 08:43 PM
so should i make my swap file 256?

miketowninc
June 4th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Copy over any another file of 256 MM. what file?

ago
June 4th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Any file. Wubi just need to have a file of 256 mb to convert to swap (it does not have to be an exact size). The easiest way to create that file is to copy on top of it any other file which is large enough. Or you can use qemu-img if you prefer.

miketowninc
June 4th, 2007, 08:58 PM
should i make my swap size 256 ? or larger?

ago
June 4th, 2007, 08:59 PM
make it as large as your memory.

miketowninc
June 4th, 2007, 09:03 PM
just to throw it in i told the podcast maker of sourcetrunk about wubi and he wrote back and said

thanks for the link, I'm including Wubi in the next episode.

I hope you guys get more users!!! So is 256 sound good? im reinstalling because i deinstalled before i ask you this thanks

ago
June 4th, 2007, 09:06 PM
thanks for that

miketowninc
June 6th, 2007, 03:38 PM
hi the swap problem was solved by just reinstalling and making it 256 mb of swap. thanks for the help. i have Although another problem.:( im not sure if it is wubis problem or ubuntusudio. after the installation and such and after the swap is loaded it comes up with graphic problems and says that the server x could not be found. (or not used cant remember) and asks if i want to see the log. If i say no then it just goes to the terminal and waits for me to put an input in. well thanks if you can help

ago
June 6th, 2007, 04:36 PM
hi the swap problem was solved by just reinstalling and making it 256 mb of swap. thanks for the help. i have Although another problem.:( im not sure if it is wubis problem or ubuntusudio. after the installation and such and after the swap is loaded it comes up with graphic problems and says that the server x could not be found. (or not used cant remember) and asks if i want to see the log. If i say no then it just goes to the terminal and waits for me to put an input in. well thanks if you can help

That might be a general issue (new ati?) you are better off to ask on the ubuntu support forum, wubi does not differ from standard ubuntu when it comes to the video card/X.

miketowninc
June 6th, 2007, 05:01 PM
ya i thought so ok i will
but just in case here is the error message i restarted and wrote it down

Failed to start the X server. It is likely that it is not setup correctly.

thanks