PDA

View Full Version : Philly: What's next?

lamalex
June 4th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Girls inc is this weekend, but what is our next major community event? Software freedom day isn't until september so we should probably do 1 more medium sized event before then, so what do we want to do? Just info distribution? A FSF benefit show? Free (as in freedom) Barbecue? I think we should do a small-medium sized event and then do something awesome for software freedom day (which we should start planning now)

elizabeth
June 4th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I like the BBQ idea, even if it's just a "social" thing.

PLUG used to have annual picnics but they stopped being terribly successful and sort of died out (last one was in 2003 for the 10th anniversary of Debian). It'd be good to hook up with them (I say "them" but I am a PLUG admin ;-)) and do something jointly.

jedijf
June 5th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I like the BBQ idea, even if it's just a "social" thing.

I agree with Lyz, with 2 successful events already completed, and Kevin's ongoing stuff with malt / Girls, Inc., we need to back it off just a little and give the Philly / Southeast team the opportunity to grow.

I haven't actually checked the numbers, but I don't think we realized a great bump in loco members after these events. With the exposure that these events created, you would expect / hope that some of these people would become loco members and start to get involved.

Maybe add a new post to www.meetlinux.com (http://www.meetlinux.com) thanking everyone for coming and participating, and a prominent link to the resources page.
And asking people to join the LoCo and get involved. Sometimes all you have to do is ask.

A laid back BBQ / Picnic event can help the recent relationships created develop into full blown active membership; hopefully.

If we run too quickly from event to event without membership growth, we end being event promoters, not community builders.

kejava
June 5th, 2007, 08:18 PM
A laid back BBQ / Picnic event can help the recent relationships created develop into full blown active membership; hopefully.

If we run too quickly from event to event without membership growth, we end being event promoters, not community builders.
Well put Jim! After the install-fest I was a little sad that I didn't get to talk with anyone from our team for very long. It would be nice to recap in person. I know of a cookout that's coming up on June 23rd ... lemme see if they won't mind us crashing it ;-)

elizabeth
June 5th, 2007, 08:49 PM
June 23rd is pretty soon (and I already have plans) - perhaps we could do something a little further in the future so we all have a bit of a break and can coordinate this with other Linux groups?

kejava
June 5th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Yeah Lyz, you're right. The 23rd is a bit soon. I guess I still running on an overdose of adrenaline from the install fest. Perhaps a month or two from now? I guess we should figure out where we're going to do this first. Maybe a park, camp ground, or something?

naknak987
June 6th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I like the sound of a camp ground. But maybe we should just have it something thats laid back and not centered it around any kind of a theme.... except ubuntu of course.