PDA

View Full Version : Question - would MS rather have me use an illegal XP or Vista, or Ubuntu?

bishop9226
June 4th, 2007, 05:45 PM
For some reason I think they'd LOVE me to use an illegal copy over linux because it still allows them to send all my info away and make me use IE for some apps.

goumples
June 4th, 2007, 05:50 PM
I'd agree. Unless your illegal copy of windows is thoroughly cracked and crippled from phoning home.. then it still does phone home.. And then they can bother you to no end to get a valid copy of windows..

Henry Rayker
June 4th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I believe they are quite content with your using Windows because they figure, at some point in the future (granted you have a decent experience), stealing it will be too much of a hassle and you will break down and buy it. However, if you use Linux (and you have a good enough experience) you will steer clear of Windows.

It's an odd case of vendor lock-in, but that's what it is.

bishop9226
June 4th, 2007, 06:03 PM
it really never gets any harder. the people who hacked vista did a bang up job. too bad they went through all that trouble for a crappy OS, i was going to stick with XP til i switched to ubuntu.

Sunflower1970
June 4th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Didn't Bill Gates say something like this, he didn't mind people using a pirated copy of Windows, because he felt that at some point they'd end up buying a legit copy or it...?

GeneralZod
June 4th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Didn't Bill Gates say something like this, he didn't mind people using a pirated copy of Windows, because he felt that at some point they'd end up buying a legit copy or it...?

Yep:

Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though. As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours. They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to collect sometime in the next decade."

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-212942.html

starcraft.man
June 4th, 2007, 06:16 PM

LOL! I don't think gates would ever say that on TV :p.

Edit: So he did, to get money out of them in future of course.

Back on topic. I'm pretty sure MS prefers you to use a pirate copy, cuz then at least you are still using windows. I guess that helps two fold, 1) you don't feel the need to go out and try other things, thus at some time in future might just become locked in to the platform or otherwise forced to purchase a copy (business, new DRM, other reason). 2) Since you aren't trying different things, you won't know about Linux and won't tell friends about it, helping its spread (maybe even the reverse, you get pirate copy of Vista and really like it and tell friends to go buy license).... thus it effectively slows spread of Linux (which usually translates to sales of windows or mac to friends).

So ya, I guess they do prefer you pirate their OS, instead of Linux. Course they would really prefer you buy a 400$ Copy of Vista....

az
June 4th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Whether they sell windows or give it away for free, the fact that they have a majority marketshare means a lot of money coming their way.

I wouldn't be surprised to see MS give out free copies of windows to compete with FLOSS in the future.

jgrabham
June 4th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Does anyone else hate their "your copy of windows is not real. Grass on who sold you it and well sue them for everyhting they have, and you'll get a nice shiny CD" (would anyone actuallyh tell them; I deliberetly bought a fake copy of win2k once, because I wanted indows for £10 and would never tell them where I got it, even if they sued me)

smoker
June 4th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see MS give out free copies of windows to compete with FLOSS in the future.

they are already offering $3 dollar windows to some third world countries, ms will do what they can to hold on to their monopoly:
http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/004160.html

eentonig
June 4th, 2007, 06:58 PM
As long as people keep using illigal windows at home, companies will keep buying official licenses for their environments.

So yes, they definitively preffer you to use illegal Windows over any linux.

JAPrufrock
June 4th, 2007, 11:57 PM
BG and SB would rather you use an illegal Vista over XP, and an illegal XP over Ubuntu. Right now XP is the biggest competitor to Vista, which is why MS makes crappy OSs- if they made a great OS, it would be very difficult to replace it in the marketplace when they issued their next OS. Years ago BG said that the biggest competitor to windows 95 was Windows 3.1.

Adamant1988
June 4th, 2007, 11:59 PM
For some reason I think they'd LOVE me to use an illegal copy over linux because it still allows them to send all my info away and make me use IE for some apps.

Microsoft has already stated that they would prefer you hack, crack, and pirate their software than to use competing software. The reason is simple, you'll get hooked on the software, and eventually you'll be a customer when the money is available.

Andrewie
June 5th, 2007, 12:33 AM
I have a illegal copy of XP and Vista and I still use Linux