PDA

View Full Version : Dell giving up on Ubuntu already?

Starks
June 4th, 2007, 03:54 PM
http://digg.com/linux_unix/Dell_quietly_drops_extended_warranty_support_for_U buntu

God, this is so depressing.

BarfBag
June 4th, 2007, 03:59 PM
They're not giving up. Just dropping the extended warranty. To be honest, I don't care. It's not like they're selling like hot cakes. Kinda understandable if you think about it.

Starks
June 4th, 2007, 04:03 PM
They're not giving up. Just dropping the extended warranty. To be honest, I don't care. It's not like they're selling like hot cakes. Kinda understandable if you think about it.

Will Dell honor extended warranties sold before they removed the options?

HotShotDJ
June 4th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Hmmm. That is disturbing.

HotShotDJ
June 4th, 2007, 04:14 PM
They're not giving up. Just dropping the extended warranty. To be honest, I don't care. It's not like they're selling like hot cakes. Kinda understandable if you think about it.Really?? Are you privy to sales numbers that the rest of us have overlooked??? Are the sales of Linux preloads below target? Did they meet quota? How well did hot cakes sell during the same time period? Inquiring minds want to know.

Eddie Wilson
June 4th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Its not really that big of a deal. The extended support option for a computer system seems like a waste anyway. I really don't think that many of us would buy it.
Eddie

Starks
June 4th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Its not really that big of a deal. The extended support option for a computer system seems like a waste anyway. I really don't think that many of us would buy it.
Eddie

I'm not worried about us. I'm worried about the Linux n00bs who don't know about the vast support community of Linux users.

jrusso2
June 4th, 2007, 04:47 PM
While an extended warranty maybe not needed for a desktop it is something I would consider for a laptop depending on price.

Since I don't' feel comfortable fixing a motherboard in a laptop and laptop parts can be pricey.

fuscia
June 4th, 2007, 04:51 PM
'pr move'? LOL!1

amoore
June 4th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Versions of Ubuntu other than LTS are ONLY supported for 18 months by Canonical!!!!

Ubunutu LTS is supported for 5 years

All other versions are supported for 18 months

Why should Dell support a Ubuntu distro any longer than Canonical?

Dell sell boxes with 7.04.

7.04 is not a LTS release, it is only supported for 18 months by Canonical which is who ends up doing support for Dell anyway.

arsenic23
June 4th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Here's a thought:

Even though Dell sells official Ubuntu supoort, if something happens to the computer that that customer feels is a hardware issue, they will still be calling Dell to get it fixed. If you've ever called Dell for a hardware problem as a home customer, you'd know that you get to talk to a person that follows a scripted dianostic line that pretty much amounts to Windows trouble shooting. If they can show the user that the problem they are having is not hardware, or just convince them that, then Dell saves money on the repairs. Otherwise Dell pays to ship the machine to a shop where they have the most likely isses(s) fixed with replacement parts.

I'd wager that Dell doesn't have a great plan yet for warrenty suport on these linux PCs they're selling now, and that suddenly someone in the company realized that if the linux PCs were moderately popular then they'd more then likely loose money on either false positive hardware repairs, or linux savy warrenty suport people.

Or something like that.

stmiller
June 4th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Versions of Ubuntu other than LTS are ONLY supported for 18 months by Canonical!!!!

7.04 is not a LTS release, it is only supported for 18 months by Canonical which is who ends up doing support for Dell anyway.

I think you are missing the point: it's the Dell hardware extended warranty options that are gone now. It comes with a 1-year Dell hardware warranty, without options to extend that coverage. Not talking about Ubuntu support.

Syke
June 4th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Eddie

Actually, extended hardware warranties are very popular, especially on laptops where replacement parts are hard to come by, or very expensive. Laptops take an extra beating being hauled around, which leads to earlier hardware failures than a desktop system.

It's a shame Dell has dropped such an important option, but we at ZaReason (http://www.zareason.com) are happy to offer extended warranties on all our systems.

hanzomon4
June 4th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Actually, extended hardware warranties are very popular, especially on laptops where replacement parts are hard to come by, or very expensive. Laptops take an extra beating being hauled around, which leads to earlier hardware failures than a desktop system.

It's a shame Dell has dropped such an important option, but we at ZaReason (http://www.zareason.com) are happy to offer extended warranties on all our systems.

Nice plugg.... ;)

use a name
June 4th, 2007, 10:44 PM
I'd like to have some hardware warranty indeed. :( Now I'm not too sure if I would buy a Dell... Oh well, things may change again. They're not even selling where I live and I don't have the money and desire for one right now. But I already embraced the idea...

kamaboko
June 4th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Really?? Are you privy to sales numbers that the rest of us have overlooked??? Are the sales of Linux preloads below target? Did they meet quota? How well did hot cakes sell during the same time period? Inquiring minds want to know.

Take a poll here. Poll those that have purchased a Dell/Ubuntu machine, not do they "intend" to buy one. Intention doesn't mean ****. I intend to buy a new Ferrari, but doesn't mean I'll do it.

jrusso2
June 5th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Take a poll here. Poll those that have purchased a Dell/Ubuntu machine, not do they "intend" to buy one. Intention doesn't mean ****. I intend to buy a new Ferrari, but doesn't mean I'll do it.

That would prove nothing the only reliable record is from Dell and how many they sold and what they expected to sell.

smiggs
June 5th, 2007, 12:15 AM
This is a pretty big deal especially if we're talking laptops, I always recommened to my semi computer literate friends to get the extended warranty option if they're buying a laptop. Laptop components are tightly packed so far more prone to failure than desktop ones.

Has anyone tried ordering on the phone, you might be able to get the extended warranty if you want it.

southernman
June 5th, 2007, 06:35 AM
wheeeeeew. And to think I saw a couple of nasty, rude people on this forum. That's really the first time I looked at digg. Those folks get downright ****kicking mean over there ----->

On topic again - Personally, I'd of thought Dell had they really wanted to push the Ubuntu offering, would have done more pushing. Maybe it's early still. Maybe Billybob got to them before they could... dunno.

Giving up? Don't buy it. Retreating for a stronger surprise attack? One can hope, can't we?

FuturePilot
June 5th, 2007, 06:42 AM

Ubunutu LTS is supported for 5 years

All other versions are supported for 18 months

Why should Dell support a Ubuntu distro any longer than Canonical?

Dell sell boxes with 7.04.

I think the warranty goes for the hardware not the OS.
And that's also why dist-upgrade every 6 months.
But nonetheless, rather disturbing.
I'm thinking PR stunt.

kevinlyfellow
June 5th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Will Dell honor extended warranties sold before they removed the options?

They need to since they did sell an extended warranty. You can't charge someone for something and not follow through.

Lucifiel
June 5th, 2007, 07:05 AM
I wonder if this move is connected to the recent layoffs at Dell.

Perhaps, they're trying to cut losses and expenses and maintain a certain amount of profit.

kevinlyfellow
June 5th, 2007, 07:13 AM
I wonder if this move is connected to the recent layoffs at Dell.

Perhaps, they're trying to cut losses and expenses and maintain a certain amount of profit.

That's pretty good insight. I think your right. We've become very used to being ignored and forgotten, so we've come to expect that we're going to be rejected yet again.

shijirou
June 5th, 2007, 07:13 AM
THe layoffs could probably be connected as a part of their so-called "streamlining" as well as removing the extended warranties on the Dell machines.

A very bad move Dell... Just when I was considering buying a laptop.

Lucifiel
June 5th, 2007, 07:24 AM
That's pretty good insight. I think your right. We've become very used to being ignored and forgotten, so we've come to expect that we're going to be rejected yet again.

Well, I'd prefer that Dell cut some warranties for now so they can keep their profits.

Let's remember that we need Dell to survive in order to make the Ubuntu brand and name more renowned. Though Dell's not the only brand out there, I'm sure the other vendor brands will pay attention if the sales figures of Ubuntu-ready Dell pcs are healthy.

Thank you. :p Hmmm... ignored and forgotten? Hmmm... actually, I'd suspect that many organisations and consumers pass over Linux due to factors like ignorance, XP/Win 2K meeting all their needs, etc. I'd love to elaborate but there are many thread discussing such factors already. :)

kevinlyfellow
June 5th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Turns out it was all a big mistake. :-b
http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/06/05/17450.aspx

southernman
June 5th, 2007, 09:01 PM

Three cheers for Dell... [-X ok just two! I guess this only proves that a computer is only as good as the operator.

Ebuntor
June 5th, 2007, 09:10 PM

Well that sure was a surprise. :o

FuturePilot
June 5th, 2007, 09:20 PM
we inadvertently removed the extended warranty and CompleteCare options associated with Ubuntu systems from the configurator on Dell.com
Sure.....

They probably started taking some heat from people.

macogw
June 5th, 2007, 09:51 PM
The support contracts weren't Dell's, they were Canonical's. If that's missing from the Dell store now, it's because they want people to buy their support contracts direct from Canonical.

liquidfunk
June 5th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. Windows needs the support, not Ubuntu.

hanzomon4
June 6th, 2007, 06:11 AM
we inadvertently removed the extended warranty and CompleteCare options associated with Ubuntu systems from the configurator on Dell.com

Inadvertent my ***, Linux user carry a mean whip... Beware :shock: