PDA

View Full Version : KDevelop vs Anjuta vs CodeBlocks

ishaqmalik
June 4th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Hi,

which IDE offers most features for C/C++ development, Eyecandy doesn't matter for me, I have been a Windows user for a long time and don't really know much about IDEs on Linux, so It would be very helpful if you people could guide me to something here.

I have downloaded and installed all of them today (KDevelop and Anjuta through Ubuntu's Add/Remove option). till now I like CodeBlocks and KDevelop, (infact I am more in a favour of KDevelop, but it is giving me a hard time building my projects as I have mentioned in another thread).

And also, I have been using Eclipse for Java development, I hear there are C/C++ plugins available, should I try them?

Regards,
MI

ankursethi
June 4th, 2007, 01:58 PM
You should definitely try the C++ plugin for Eclipse. Then choose yourself.

Max_Might
June 4th, 2007, 02:34 PM
My vote for code::blocks :D

daxumaming
June 5th, 2007, 06:41 AM
if you're comfortable with Eclipse, then I would definitely suggest you use the C/C++ plugin. This way, you don't have to go through the hassles of learning another IDE. This will save you time you'd rather use on developing apps.
Goodluck!

ishaqmalik
June 5th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Okay, I have installed CDT, will be playing around with it tonight. I am also looking for some good plugins that could help me out in C/C++, will post a list here if I found some. Also, if you know some, do suggest.

Regards,
MI

hantsy
June 7th, 2007, 10:12 AM
You can try to download Sun Studio 12 (just release), a complete C/C++/Fortran development tools , support linux and sun Solaris.
Netbeans C/C++ Pack is the open source version of Sun Studio and the Sun compiler is not included. Eclipse CDT
lack some feature in Netbeans C/C++ Pack.

ishaqmalik
June 7th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Can you elaborate what features are provided by Sun Studio. It would be helpful for me in deciding whether those features are worth an IDE shift, since I am quiet comfortable with CDT in eclipse (it looks just like the JAVA environment), then I have SVN plugins installed for eclipse...

I had used NetBeans about 6 months ago, it's a very nice IDE, but then due to company standards, I had to keep my self to Eclipse so couldn't really explore all of it's features. One thing that I believe (but I could be wrong) that nothing beats eclipse in number of plugins available and the amount of ease provided to the developer.

Waiting for your response...

Regards,
MI

lazertek
August 2nd, 2008, 05:45 PM
I have been IDE hoppin for a week now..... I looked around and the three best ones I found was Netbeans 6.5 eclipse 3.4 and code::blocks

Netbeans 6.5 --- The best looking ofcourse but that's not as important as features... Eclipse with its wide varitey of plugins was unbeatable until the 6.5.... If you haven't tried this out yet I suggest you do. I can't find one feature in C++ that eclipse or code::blocks has that Netbeans 6.5 doesn't plus you get the good looking IDE... isn't that part of the idea of an IDE...

Eclipse -- impressive but after netbeans 6.5 its got tough competition

Code::blocks -- havent tried this out yet but its downloading right now...

on addition I have VS studio 2008 but i like the netbeans espcially its syntax checking and auto complete that vs studio isn't a choice anymore... i can't tell you how many syntax errors it saves you from as you type instead of finding them each time you compile.. correct one and then compile again.... i say that feature is a must...

POW R TOC H
August 2nd, 2008, 09:40 PM
It is basically just a matter of taste.
When working on something small, I usually use gedit (with autocomplete plugins, and C/C++ highlighting), and I have a terminal embedded into it.

I use Code::Blocks for bigger projects, but generally I like to stay free of IDEs that force you to create project files, or enforce their own dir structure for your projects (as Code::Blocks does, which is the reason I don't use it for smaller ones).

I have tried Eclipse, but couldn't get my head around it (as confusing as Stargate Atlantis, at least to me)

So far, I'm good with Code::Blocks, but I'm going to try out Netbeans...

drubin
August 3rd, 2008, 01:16 AM
Please read the stickies before posting.... This is one of those "which IDE to use things"

mssever
August 3rd, 2008, 06:17 AM
Um, this thread is more than a year old, and it's covered by the FAQ anyway. Perhaps it should be closed.

LaRoza
August 3rd, 2008, 06:25 AM
Closed. Let the dead rest in piece.