PDA

View Full Version : Vote on the new Compiz/Beryl merge name

hanzomon4
June 4th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Here's the long-awaited poll :) (http://www.opencompositing.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=559&st=0&sk=t&sd=a)
The full question is : What should be the master name of the Window Manager stuff (plugins, decorators) from Compiz/Beryl merge?

5 of the top names (by mentions) have been selected, plus Nova which looked especially shiny. Sorry for the other suggestions, but technical restrictions (max of 10 options for the poll) made it hard to select more names.
The initial discussion can be found at viewtopic.php?f=46&t=478

The poll will end at midnight UTC on the 11th of June 2007 (the midnight between next Sunday and next Monday).
The next step will be to get some artwork :) Artists, get ready!

** UPDATE **

The poll was reset with the addition of a new option, "None of these".

In the event that the votes for "None of these" outnumber all of the other votes _combined_, a new poll will be started with a new set of names.

Otherwise, the name with the majority of votes will be accepted as the winner (in the normal fashion).

We apologize for the reset of the poll, adding the "None" option was really necessary. Thank you for your comprehension.

Reset time : June 4th, 00:54 UTC +0200

Well folks go and vote on the new name here (http://www.opencompositing.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=559&st=0&sk=t&sd=a)

starcraft.man
June 4th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwwww, can't we keep Beryl? I'm used to it and the bright red gem... Well I dunno. I'm just gonna sit on the fence... never was really good at names. >.>

Tux Aubrey
June 4th, 2007, 01:22 PM
I shall always call it "That Wobbly Windows Rotating Cube Thing".

thebye85
June 4th, 2007, 02:59 PM
In my opinion Nove is the best:popcorn:

smoker
June 4th, 2007, 03:33 PM
hme, eveyone knows about Beryl, why change it? why isn't Beryl an option on the poll?

aw, well, i suppose i would vote for:
apt get install 'none of these'

eentonig
June 4th, 2007, 03:48 PM
hme, eveyone knows about Beryl, why change it? why isn't Beryl an option on the poll?

Because Beryl was a fork from the Compiz project. And later on, Beryl and Compiz decided to join forces again. So, politically neither of the two will be two happy to accept the others name for the combined project. It would feel too much as if they 'lost' somehow.

ThinkBuntu
June 4th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Drumroll...

Bloaty 3D Window Manager

delfick
June 4th, 2007, 04:23 PM

politics unfortunately

you see, the devs want to remove the "taint" of the beryl fork from this "new" project.....

(well those devs that post on the compComm ML anyways....(that ML is a disaster zone))

so ye, now we need a new name for this compComm project (because beryl/compiz-extra/compComm, which imho are appropiate names for the community side of compiz....are so evil and we need a new start, etc, etc, blahblahblahblahblah.....*shakes head*)

what's worse is that no-one can come up with a name that isn't some really bad combination of compiz and beryl or some pretty object like a crystal.......

then even worse is the two sides of the argument surrounding the name

one side says the name is unimportant, which it is, it is only a word, and has no relation to the code itself

but on the other side, is the fact that the name of something generally gives a general sense of that thing, and for new users, the name can mean something...blablablablabla(insert theological statement about the meaning of names and identity, etc, etc) which is also slightly true......

i hate politics.....

so what we need is someone to come up with an original name that is appropiate to the project, which i can't see happening on the opencompositing.org forums.......

junior aspirin
June 4th, 2007, 04:33 PM
nooo, not Nova.

a suppose the majority of people on that board must live out side the uk

vauxhall nova's are the favourite cars of chav's/racerboys. for those who have no idea, these are the people who drive around in their overly modified cars all day(think spoilers, oversized exhusts, and a massive subwoofer playing trance music or hiphop at full volume) they also like to where tracksuit bottoms, baseball caps and massive gold chains. they are not the brightest of people either.

so that is a definate no on Nova!

edit:
here are some done up novas
http://www.barryboys.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5145&highlight=nova
http://www.barryboys.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23846&highlight=nova
http://www.barryboys.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4183&highlight=nova

nice ay?!

tehkain
June 4th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Nova = Bad

Ubuntu can not have nova! We must have Fusion!

the8thstar
June 4th, 2007, 04:55 PM
A new name is fine but does that mean also that the program is being improved so it doesn't crash unexpectedly, doesn't conflict with the video streams or video rendering and is easy to configure??? I want to see THAT happen!

Nova is my favorite pick. Fast, easy to say in many languages and 'stellar' in design ;-)

Sunflower1970
June 4th, 2007, 04:55 PM
There used to be a car, the Chevy Nova in the 60s & 70s....There's also the PBS show called Nova. And Nova spelled backwards is Avon...a cosmetic company :)

None of those names on that list really came out and said wow! to me...Coral is okay...but makes me think of the photo program--similar to Photoshop--that I learned how to use many years ago..I kind of like just...opencompositing, or OC as the name...

forrestcupp
June 4th, 2007, 07:06 PM
None of those names on that list really came out and said wow! to me...Coral is okay...but makes me think of the photo program--similar to Photoshop--that I learned how to use many years ago.

Are you thinking of Corel? My wife still uses Photopaint.

I picked Fusion, even though it's the same name as a drink. It gives me the idea of a compositing window manager that is seamlessly fused with the DE. I don't think any of them are that great. If you think about it, Beryl isn't a great name either. It's just that we didn't get a choice in naming it, so it's good by default.

Sunflower1970
June 4th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Yes, thanks Corel. That's it :)

ButteBlues
June 4th, 2007, 08:10 PM
To be honest, each and every one of those names is awful, and I'm quite glad I only use the default plugins that come with Compiz so I don't have to install any bit of that mess.

ezphilosophy
June 4th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I think Beryl is a great name but I can see why the parties would see it fit to change it. Coral has a nice sound to it and it somewhat phonetically combines the names. They should just change the spelling -- Coryl.

EDIT: Just noticed that this name has already been talked about. Well, glad people agree. :)

mech7
June 4th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I vote for Desktop effects ;)

starcraft.man
June 4th, 2007, 09:25 PM
*just checked poll*

Noooooooo, can't let Nova win... if it does I'll be constantly reminded about Starcraft Ghost and Nova and the game I'll never ever have cuz of a stupid companies politics... *stares at Blizzard with flames in his eyes, "Burn"*.

Come on people, take pity on an Ol' Zealot, please? :D

Znupi
June 4th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Umm... I don't like any of the names.

So... Compyl? Beriz? :|

hanzomon4
June 4th, 2007, 09:39 PM
FYI: "None of these" is an option you can vote for....

Cows
June 4th, 2007, 09:43 PM
nooo, not Nova.

a suppose the majority of people on that board must live out side the uk

vauxhall nova's are the favourite cars of chav's/racerboys. for those who have no idea, these are the people who drive around in their overly modified cars all day(think spoilers, oversized exhusts, and a massive subwoofer playing trance music or hiphop at full volume) they also like to where tracksuit bottoms, baseball caps and massive gold chains. they are not the brightest of people either.

so that is a definate no on Nova!

edit:
here are some done up novas
http://www.barryboys.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5145&highlight=nova
http://www.barryboys.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23846&highlight=nova
http://www.barryboys.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4183&highlight=nova

nice ay?!

I live in the US and I say that those cars are like 1980 style and they suck. This is just my opinion from the observations about the cars I see everyday. I wouldn't drive a car like that. Also Nova and Fusion are both good names. Maybe something related to a gem like name... Maybe Prism, Pearl, Diamond..?

ButteBlues
June 4th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Why related to a gem? That seems particularly unnecessary and to cater solely to the Beryl crowd.

H.E. Pennypacker
June 4th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Fusion? That's ridiculous. If you Google "Fusion," you'll find over 97 million results. How is this new project supposed to distinguish itself from other results, and stand out? Does anyone take name branding seriously these days?

It's unbelievable that a Google search is not even taken into account. The scientific community owns "nuclear fusion," something that will always produce more results than an open source project. In the software world, there's already something called Macromedia ColdFusion.

Nova (214 million Google results) seems to be even worse, although it is not as generic as the word fusion. Besides, its probably horrible from a UK perspective.

Kobalt
June 4th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Is it just me or does Cobalt sound really great ? :)

Kingsley
June 4th, 2007, 11:02 PM
I'd vote for the name to stay as Compiz. Everything else on the poll is just boring or unoriginal.

egon spengler
June 4th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Nova (214 million Google results) seems to be even worse, although it is not as generic as the word fusion. Besides, its probably horrible from a UK perspective.

Beryl is a horrible name from a UK perspective, nova is a definite improvement.

icechen1
June 4th, 2007, 11:56 PM
I think Nova is a good name.After that,I think Fusion is a good name too.

Drooling Iguana
June 4th, 2007, 11:59 PM
If they end up calling it CoCo, will that mean that we'll get a psychedelic multi-coloured blinking cursor in our terminal windows?

LOADM, EXEC for life!

forrestcupp
June 5th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Beryl is a horrible name from a UK perspective, nova is a definite improvement.

Why is Beryl horrible to UK people? It is just a type of gem.

egon spengler
June 5th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Why is Beryl horrible to UK people? It is just a type of gem.

Is it really? Wow, thanks for the insight

forrestcupp
June 5th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Is it really? Wow, thanks for the insight

You still didn't answer why it is horrible to UK people. I really want to know.

maniacmusician
June 5th, 2007, 03:18 PM
well, looks like coral is winning out for now.

hanzomon4
June 5th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Someone please kill Coral. it sounds like a bathroom product.

delfick
June 6th, 2007, 12:37 AM

well said :D

starcraft.man
June 6th, 2007, 12:43 AM

LOL, I prefer it to Nova. I don't can't be reminded of Starcraft Ghost, the game I'll never have every time I open my computer, I'd go insane. Besides, Coral is both a beautiful marine formation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral) and pretty polished stone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_%28precious%29). Whats not to like?

I don't see the bathroom affiliation... am I missing something in Canada?

ButteBlues
June 6th, 2007, 01:16 AM
The fascination with mineral names never really stuck with me.

forrestcupp
June 6th, 2007, 01:04 PM
It doesn't surprise me that Coral is winning. That is what the first rumor of the new name was right after the announcement of the rejoining. It seems like if the people in charge want something, it usually gets done one way or another.

artir
June 6th, 2007, 03:24 PM
FUSIOn RULES1

Spike-X
June 6th, 2007, 11:44 PM
...no-one can come up with a name that isn't some really bad combination of compiz and beryl...

So somebody's already suggested 'Bizeryl'?

Bugger.

the8thstar
June 9th, 2007, 08:04 PM
How about Big Whoop? Or Big Fart?

DeadSuperHero
June 9th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Yeah, might be too late to suggest new names, but what the heck.

-Xion
-AfterBurner
-FireForge
-Virgil
-Tesla
-Rocketeer

I'd pick any one of those over "Coral", "Nova", "Blitz", or any of those other ones.
Then again, I thought that list of names up, so I'm inclined to like them...

Znupi
June 9th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Xion, AfterBurner and FireForge are really cool!!

hanzomon4
June 9th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I like Tesla

loserboy
June 9th, 2007, 10:11 PM
is this over?

lol i didnt even know they were merging again

I didn't care for any of those names, so I made up my own and pretend that it will make a difference :)

- Gelato

- Fission (instead of fusion...i dunno)

- Alloy

- Dali FX (compiz/beryl for some reason reminds me of S. Dali)

- iCandy (cuz it's cliche)

DeadSuperHero
June 9th, 2007, 10:15 PM
In any case, if they don't use the names everybody's been suggesting (too late, though), I suppose the names could be used for other projects. Looking through here, there's quite a few good ones.
EDIT: Geez, only a few days left. Better start voting on the "none of these", whoever doesn't like those names!

orange2k
June 9th, 2007, 10:16 PM
I would like it to be called:

- Delta (because I like delta - the old C64 game)

- Ronhill (because I like the cigarette)

- Pokia (because I don`t like the Nokia)

- Bompiz (because I like both Beryl and Compiz)

loserboy
June 9th, 2007, 10:16 PM
what did they end up going with?

loserboy
June 9th, 2007, 10:17 PM
I would like it to be called:

- Delta (because I like delta - the old C64 game)

- Ronhill (because I like the cigarette)

- Pokia (because I don`t like the Nokia)

- Bompiz (because I like both Beryl and Compiz)

lol Bompiz, Pokia

macogw
June 10th, 2007, 01:07 AM
Anyone else unable to vote?

srt5
June 10th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Bompiz :)

jgrabham
June 10th, 2007, 01:21 AM
As I have heard it called loads of times - "That cool cube thing on youtube"

maniacmusician
June 10th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Anyone else unable to vote?
are you registered on those forums? you have to register to vote...

macogw
June 10th, 2007, 04:29 AM
are you registered on those forums? you have to register to vote...

Yeah, I registered, confirmed the email address, logged in, and went back to that thread. All that shows are the current votes. There's no buttons to click or anything.

sabrewolf2006
June 21st, 2007, 11:10 PM
Nova = Bad

Ubuntu can not have nova! We must have Fusion!

NoVa!!! Noo disassemble!

:lolflag:

orange2k
June 21st, 2007, 11:30 PM
Once more, I vote for Bompiz...

haricharan
June 21st, 2007, 11:38 PM
but are they gonna stick with compiz logo or the beryl logo..i like the beryl's logo than compiz's :D

delfick
June 22nd, 2007, 03:03 AM
they've chosen compiz fusion

(though remember the window manager is still called compiz, this is just the package of enhancements)

and we've started a creative phase for the icon http://forums.opencompositing.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=835&st=0&sk=t&sd=a :D

oobuntoo
June 22nd, 2007, 10:36 AM
They should've dropped the "piz" part and go with "ComFusion" :idea:;)

On the serious side, has any one tried this out on KDE ? I'm hoping that it integrates better with KDE than Beryl and Compiz. It's too obvious during login/logout of KDE that Beryl and Compiz is not part of the DE. They need to be more seemless when they (Compiz and Beryl) start.

megamania
June 22nd, 2007, 10:42 AM
I would call it "The program formerly known as Beryl", or in short "The Program".

Seriously, I'd go for "Cube", "Cubed", "nCube".

crimesaucer
June 22nd, 2007, 10:50 AM
How about this name:

Cubensis

or:

Cubenensis

daverich
June 22nd, 2007, 05:06 PM
at least beryl stands out.

Kind regards

Dave Rich