PDA

View Full Version : imporving plugins for rhythmbox and/or exaile

drobvice
June 3rd, 2007, 10:12 PM
Hello all. Not knowing anything about programming except browsing through a couple of manuals, I'm curious how difficult it is to make improvements to plugins. Specifically, how rhythmbox (and possibly exaile) handle podcasts. I have been searching for the perfect podcasting app in linux for awhile but just can't seem to find it. Rhythmbox has a great base but could use some tweaking. Amarok is close but I am trying to stick to gnome. Ideally, I would like to limit a feed to keep 2 items and auto delete old, prefer renaming tag based on the feed info (audio and video) and transfer to ipod under 'Podcasts' lists. I would also like for rhtythmbox to recognize video feeds/files and transfer to iPod and if tried to play within rb, it would kick it over to Totem. Video tagging can be accomplished with Atomic Parsley. I have been playing with mypodder recently and it's fairly straightforward for what I want but it would be great to have these features in the default audio app.

ButteBlues
June 3rd, 2007, 10:53 PM
Hello all. Not knowing anything about programming except browsing through a couple of manuals, I'm curious how difficult it is to make improvements to plugins. Specifically, how rhythmbox (and possibly exaile) handle podcasts. I have been searching for the perfect podcasting app in linux for awhile but just can't seem to find it. Rhythmbox has a great base but could use some tweaking. Amarok is close but I am trying to stick to gnome. Ideally, I would like to limit a feed to keep 2 items and auto delete old, prefer renaming tag based on the feed info (audio and video) and transfer to ipod under 'Podcasts' lists. I would also like for rhtythmbox to recognize video feeds/files and transfer to iPod and if tried to play within rb, it would kick it over to Totem. Video tagging can be accomplished with Atomic Parsley. I have been playing with mypodder recently and it's fairly straightforward for what I want but it would be great to have these features in the default audio app.
I'm fairly sure that both of them use... ah, Python plugins.

At the very least, the entirety of exaile is in python. Everything installs to, most likely, /usr/share/exaile