PDA

View Full Version : Unable to login

joshier
June 3rd, 2007, 07:28 PM
I'm unable to login. tried ubuntu/wubi and my default windows login.

skezza
June 3rd, 2007, 07:37 PM
I have just tried Wubi for the first time on a laptop. Although its not essential i use it, i just wanted to give it a try. Three times i have had invalid username on the text based installer and it doesnt allow me to enter an alternative. It says the username should have lower case letters etc, which it does. I have tried 3 different usernames. What do you recommend i do? is this common?

notquitemichael
June 3rd, 2007, 07:40 PM
just a suggestion, but if you use some more exciting charectors, noteabley ~ and @ in your password it may just be because your keyboard is mapped wrong (i.e. it thinks you've got an american keyboard when your british.) try typing in your password in the username box just to check it's writing right.

this ALWAYS happens to me after letting nvidia-settings save changes.

ago
June 3rd, 2007, 08:34 PM
When you installed wubi didn't you see this screen?

http://cutlersoftware.com/ubuntusetup/wubi/en-US/screenshots/wubi-main.jpg

Whatever username/password you used there is what you have to use. Press alt+f2 just to check that the keyboard is ok.

skezza
June 3rd, 2007, 08:39 PM
i did, but even having entered a very simple username and password, i got invalid username on the text based installer. looks like im going to have to use the live CD by the looks of it :(

Vadi
June 3rd, 2007, 11:23 PM
Did you try 'ubuntu'?

ago
June 4th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Do you see any other error message? Did you try to login from terminal (alt+f3)? Did you check that the keyboard is correct (type something in the terminal)?

MikeM709
June 4th, 2007, 01:09 AM
did you try it with and without caps lock?

skezza
June 4th, 2007, 01:13 AM
yes but i tried ubuntu studio on this machine and it worked fine :) really well, in fact im on it right now.

Healer77
June 4th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Hi Skezza,

I experience the same. The installer halts, and I can't select another username.
This didn't occur in Test1. Didn't test in Test2.

Tried to change to another instance, and the keyboard works there (with Danish special characters).
I selected US English during installation.

Best regards

ago
June 4th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Can you guys please try Wubi Test3?

I'll try to help but please use latest release.

ago
June 4th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Make sure that you use the same username/pwd you entered in the dialog. Keep username and password simple with no white spaces.

http://cutlersoftware.com/ubuntusetup/wubi/en-US/screenshots/wubi-main.jpg

If you do have issues, press Alt+F3 and try to login from there. See the logs in /var/log for any hint.

joshier
June 4th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Shortly after I posted this, it worked with me, quite odd! maybe I done it wrong. Anyway, thanks for all your help.

Healer77
June 4th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Just tried again with Test3.
The installer still fails saying that my username is illegal, an I must create a new one.
I simply chose: afr
So no fancy stuff or anything... :)

When I select alt+F3 I get a Busybox shell. No need to login. I browsed through the logs,
but none seemed to contain any useful info.

I also tried UbuntuStudio with the exact same result.
Lastly I tried to change my Windows locale to US English, but still nothing.

Any more thoughts?
All your help is greatly appreciated!

ago
June 4th, 2007, 08:48 PM
If you get a busybox it means that some step failed. See if /home is mounted. See the logs in /media/host/wubi/lupin.log and /var/log/syslog

Healer77
June 4th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Hi again,

Must say.. This is isn't the easiest thing to do for a Windows-nerd like me. :)
But i managed to salvage the different logs you requested.
It does mount a /target/home, but I'm not sure if something else fails.
It looks like it has some problems regarding the creation of user-space.

I put the logs here: http://www.sonicboom.dk/wubi/

Please take a look at them if you get the chance.
Thanks. :)

ago
June 4th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Hi again,

Must say.. This is isn't the easiest thing to do for a Windows-nerd like me. :)
But i managed to salvage the different logs you requested.
It does mount a /target/home, but I'm not sure if something else fails.
It looks like it has some problems regarding the creation of user-space.

I put the logs here: http://www.sonicboom.dk/wubi/

Please take a look at them if you get the chance.
Thanks. :)

Healer those are installation logs not normal boot logs. Did the installation complete at all?

Healer77
June 4th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Nope, It's in the installation phase i get the error: Invalid Username
Sorry if I wasn't clear. It seems that 2 threads has gotten mixed up somehow.
Don't know what happened... :)

It happens right after it tries to get an address from DHCP.

ago
June 5th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Nope, It's in the installation phase i get the error: Invalid Username
Sorry if I wasn't clear. It seems that 2 threads has gotten mixed up somehow.
Don't know what happened... :)
I merged them I thought you meant login at normal boot

before rebooting from windows have a look at c:\wubi\install\preseed.cfg, see if the username line looks suspect, and if you get asked a username try to type another username.

shadow01
June 5th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Hi people,

I also get that unable to login...think it can't be the username/pw cause I used the same as on an other computer...

After getting "invalid user", I hitted "ESC" and got to the installer menue...there I tried to configure user/pw, and got error: couldn't unmount hda1 ... don't know what could be the problem...

I have 2 partitions, c: with windows as FAT 32 and d: as NTFS ... I have the wubi-installer and the disc-image on d: and tried to install to d:\wubi ... tried it 3 times, shut down windows manually, all times the same error...
Oh, and D:\wubi\install\preseed.cfg doesn't exist...

Any help would be appreciated...

THx in advance,
shadow01

Edit: Btw if it is helpfull: the computer is an acer aspire 1350

ago
June 5th, 2007, 02:45 PM
You need uninstall then run wubi again, preseed is deleted every time you install. Try to enter a different username/password and see if it works. You can check d:\wubi\install\pressed.cfg before rebooting

shadow01
June 5th, 2007, 03:05 PM
wow, fast reply, thanks...

now I found the preseed.cfg ... it sais:
(don't mind to post name cause it's only temporarily - username=pequet ; pw is a combination of 8 numbers-only, no letters,caps,etc.)

#to create a normal user account.
d-i passwd/user-fullname string pequet user
d-i passwd/username sting pequet

I wonder about that user-fullname string ... the windows user name, which is offered by the installer first is name [space] surename, what is said to not work because of the space ... I mean not that the windows-name is imported for any reasons, even if i change it to be pequet for wubi?

thx, shadow

PS: sorry for my bad english...

camericob
November 18th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Hi Skezza,

I experience the same. The installer halts, and I can't select another username.
This didn't occur in Test1. Didn't test in Test2.

Tried to change to another instance, and the keyboard works there (with Danish special characters).
I selected US English during installation.

Best regards

made the download (ok) but unable to login. my first time! keeps asking for user name and password and telling me they are wrong. i canīt say is userfriendly system

ago
November 18th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Make sure username and passwords are what you expect. You can type the password in a clear text field (the username...) to check that there are no unexpected chars (because of wrong keyboard layout). The username used is spelled in the wubi log within windows, in your user temp folder.