PDA

View Full Version : Your Views On Downloading Movies Or Software

netyire
June 3rd, 2007, 03:47 PM
Hey Guys! :D What do you think about downloading movies, software, songs and generally copyrighted material via p2p applications? (Please don't answer if you live in Canada or any country which allows you to legally download stuff which is copyrighted ;))

Answer 1 if you think it is okay to download copyrighted material as long as you don't get caught. Answer 2 if you think it is plain wrong and should never be tolerated. What about 3 and 4? :D

Adamant1988
June 3rd, 2007, 03:58 PM
IMO, it depends on the company producing it. If the company is viewing their software, movie, w/e as a product, then I won't download it out of respect for that philosophy. However, if the software is trying to basically advertise for a service, then I have no issue at all with downloading it.

jgrabham
June 3rd, 2007, 04:08 PM
Its OK to pirate MS software, but not music! :]

zenwhen
June 3rd, 2007, 04:08 PM
I downloaded tons of TV before I got a DVR. I downloaded tons of music before iTunes Music Store came about.

I'm still waiting for a viable way to obtain movies legally...

Bachstelze
June 3rd, 2007, 04:12 PM

Amen to that !

(Assuming we're talking about real music, of course :p)

jgrabham
June 3rd, 2007, 04:13 PM
Amen to that !

(Assuming we're talking about real music, of course :p)

naturally, but Bat out of Hell 3 was a rip off, couldn't get it for less than £13 (US$26)!

reacocard
June 3rd, 2007, 04:18 PM
My policy is to use it as a sort of test-before-you-buy. Download it, if you like it, buy it and delete the download. That way everyone's happy; I get things I like, the companies get money. As for TV episodes, I think its okay as long as you're already paying for the TV service.

smoker
June 3rd, 2007, 04:26 PM
if it is on the internet and can be downloaded, then as far as i am concerned it is in the public domain, so while some downloads may be illegal, i don't regard it as morally wrong. the internet has introduced me to a wealth of music i would never have bought or found by any other method, so in a certain regard, i buy more music legally now due to the fact i can download and try it first. i will never buy drm music though, even if it is the only way to have it, i would rather do without:-)

JC_510
June 3rd, 2007, 04:32 PM
I don't agree with directly pirating software, or any other type of digital media for that matter.

What I do have an issue with, is that it is illegal to upload TV programmes to Youtube (or similar), when they were free to watch in the first place. For instance, if you miss a TV programme, and forget to tape it, or record it digitally, I do not see why you shouldn't be able to watch it or even download it from the internet, if it could be recorded legally in the first place.

jgrabham
June 3rd, 2007, 04:38 PM
I don't agree with directly pirating software, or any other type of digital media for that matter.

What I do have an issue with, is that it is illegal to upload TV programmes to Youtube (or similar), when they were free to watch in the first place. For instance, if you miss a TV programme, and forget to tape it, or record it digitally, I do not see why you shouldn't be able to watch it or even download it from the internet, if it could be recorded legally in the first place.

Because then then the networks get less money next time they air them or put them on DVD because more people have already seen them.

juxtaposed
June 3rd, 2007, 05:00 PM
Your Views On Downloading Movies Or Software

Piracy and FIle Sharing are the best things since... the internet.

It takes away power from large corporations and gives it to artists and normal people.

And come on, who would want to pay 20$ for something like epic movie? :P

Adamant1988
June 3rd, 2007, 05:09 PM
Piracy and FIle Sharing are the best things since... the internet.

It takes away power from large corporations and gives it to artists and normal people.

And come on, who would want to pay 20$ for something like epic movie? :P

I think part of the reason that piracy and file sharing as we know it exists is a 'try before you by' sort of situation. Or because people only wanted part of a CD, etc. Honestly though, a lot of the situations that resulted in piracy over the internet are fixed, we just need to find a way to let people try movies before they buy them.

I'd personally like to see something like "YouTube Theater" where you can spend a completely insignificant amount of money to view a movie ($0.99 or so) and if you like it you can purchase it.

juxtaposed
June 3rd, 2007, 05:20 PM
I think part of the reason that piracy and file sharing as we know it exists is a 'try before you by' sort of situation.

Yes, I agree.

That is part of taking power away from corporations - someone sees an album, and downloads it to see if they like it. They do, and they buy it and see the artist live. Or they don't, and they don't buy it or see the artist live. Before you could only listen to some hit single from the album on the radio, or some TV station, and it wasn't a good representation of the whole album.

eggdeng
June 3rd, 2007, 05:29 PM
A lot of the publishing companies, especially in the music and film industry make use of don't give a damn, swaggering, rebellious, rule-breaking, substance-abusing, self-destructive role models to sell their merchandise, with no regard for the consequences for the easily influenced kids they sell it to. When they turn around and sue for their royalties, my heart bleeds for them.

Personally, I download very little which I could easily get hold of legally. It's just as easy to drop round to the video store for a DVD or to get the latest Tom Waits on Amazon. I wouldn't download MS stuff for the same reason I wouldn't buy it ie I don't want it. Very few people would have MS Office on their home computer if it weren't for piracy and the fact they have it just contributes to vendor lock-in.

Bladerunner71
June 3rd, 2007, 05:50 PM
None of these pertain to me I just buy the DVD/CD's so I have them (the last Barney or Teletubbies I bought was VHS when my kids were toddlers). Also I feel that legally making movies/music/software available online for rental or purchase can possibly reduce piracy. I will, however, download movies, music and software that are either open source or creative commons. Theres a lot of good independent stuff out there that could use a little support (even free software put out by commercial companies).

Thats my take on the subject.

a12ctic
June 3rd, 2007, 05:54 PM
For the kind of music i listen to cds are rare unless you accualy see them, and ordering them from various sources is just a pain in the ***. So piracy is really the easiest solution. Find me a link to buy a Arsonists Get All The Girls cd. You can't theyre just not around. Bands get more money from merch anyway, thats why i own like 40+ band shirts.

starcraft.man
June 3rd, 2007, 06:25 PM
(responding to OP btw, didn't glance over everyone else's posts, maybe later...)

Well, lets see, this topic's a bit vague... I download free software and music all the time (creative commons). I also happen to use Ktorrent (p2p client of course) a lot because I think its a great way to download distros and other huge files while cutting costs to the producer and sometimes being faster than the download. I also make sure I always seed at least 2 or 3 copies (ratio), call me generous (see, I'm not always grumpy.)

Now, as for software (plus movie and music) piracy... if you want my honest opinion. Its all overrated. Sure, there is piracy in the world, but there is a simple reason why... companies began piling on DRM technologies/piracy protection layers and annoyed average users (like DRM in iTunes, complex Key authentication processes that sometimes fail, etc...). Now its kinda a chicken or egg kinda thing where DRM/piracy spawned at the same time, and I won't deny that there are hardcore downloaders who care nothing for the authors of software and crack every piece they put on their Windows OS (often even windows) and probably annoyed the authors. The companies need to be smarter, they make a big fuss, they annoy the average users, they turn em to piracy. They are feeding the very problem they are trying to stop, when the process becomes harder than piracy, people choose the path of least resistance. They can't (its impossible, they just fail to realize it) stop all piracy, I think thats a fact, every DRM scheme to date has been broken.

There is a solution. Companies have to actually compete (yup, I said it) with Piracy. Stores like iTunes simply have to wake up and stop selling music with any DRM, its not in CDs, so why should it be online? Software companies have to give up on the insane paranoia of software DRM (like Steam with Half-life, and others) and just distribute their software legitimately with user registration and no keys, that simple. Lastly, the movie industry has to wake up, the movies aren't being cam corded a lot are ripped off masters or preview copies. They need to make a competitive digital distribution network based on p2p that young folks can log into pick a movie and download a good copy.

The bottom line is, the big companies need to take the internet into their business plan as a main market and make something quality and competitive with what they sell as hardware/hard copy (referring to cds/dvds).

Thats what I think anyway, and yes, I've had a lot of time to think about it.

Edit: Hope that's coherent enough to convey my meaning, doesn't sound so well laid out after rereading, but good enough I suppose.

Double Edit: Maybe I should write a book/essay on this... just a thought. Oh and I didn't vote, I didn't like any of your options...

bobbocanfly
June 3rd, 2007, 06:35 PM
I download most of my music but not from bands on independant labels (Or if i do it is "try-before-buy", if i like it i will go out and buy it). I NEVER buy Music CD's though. £15 for something that cost at max £5 to make ($10 USD). Vinyl is a bit more expensive (£1 or £2 more) but totally worth it. You dont feel as ripped off leaving an independant record shop with a shiny new 12" LP under your arm as you do leaving HMV with a CD.

Even if i dont buy the album and i like it. If it is really good i will pay £10 to go see them live. IMO going to a gig is a LOT more fun than sitting in a room listening to a bit of...whatever CD's are made of....

As for movies, i hardly ever buy them. Same as CD's i will buy movies from smaller or independant filmmakers, or if the movie is just stunningly good, like Downfall :D

Software, anything that isnt open-source should be, and open source is free so i dont pay.

Operating Systems, anyone that pays several hundred pounds for Vista (Without a just reason like, i need it for your work) is stupid. Thats why i use Ubuntu.

Also anything with any sort of DRM i just dont touch. software that forces you to use a special locked format i just wont use. i dont trust the big companies with my personal/ computer information. Thats exactly why i dont use Microsoft Windows, dont trust Bill Gates with my BIOS info.

Polygon
June 3rd, 2007, 06:43 PM
i download movies that i already own...... i downloaded a couple of movies that are on VHS tape and i cant in my house a lot of the time as we only have one vhs tape player and its in the room with the good tv so everyone always goes in there first

of course comcast yelled at me about the, but i dont care. i bought the video legitly... what are they going to do?

and i also downloaded a couple of tv show specials, i downloaded the oscars cause i missed em for example. For some reason dling TV shows/specials doesnt seem as bad as you can just record them on your DVR or VHS tape if you really want to... is that the same as pirating?

EdThaSlayer
June 3rd, 2007, 08:08 PM
Piracy is a blessing, to us, but not for the show producers since we won't watch all the ads that subsidize the people viewing the show.But it does help advertise the show.

Kingsley
June 3rd, 2007, 08:24 PM
I don't see why I should pay for my movies, music, and software when it's just sitting there on the Internet. Piracy is something I admittedly take for granted.

Sunflower1970
June 3rd, 2007, 08:36 PM
I also d/l as a try b4 you buy. I've become a fan of many a group/singer because of something I downloaded (then went out and bought). Otherwise, if I already own it, and want a digital copy, I'll look to see if I can find it to download (even though I could rip it myself, sometimes it's just easier to find a copy already somewhere). Same for videos. We have a bunch of vids that aren't on DVD, yet, so we look to see if someone has digitized it already and uploaded it somewhere. Saves me the work ;) We also look for bootlegged concerts/musicals online too. Things that cannot be bought anywhere anyway. Only way to find it is online. And TV shows. If it's a show I missed, and forgot to set the DVR, someone, somewhere has uploaded it. I'll find it, d/l it, then delete it. Kind of like how DVR works.

I don't do it with sofware (anymore) since I moved to using Linux. Don't need to :)

karellen
June 3rd, 2007, 09:59 PM

I think it's not ok to pirate anything if it's copyrigthed. if someone doesn't like ms software, it's simple, it shouldn't buy it. but if he says "I don't like it/I hate it/is sucks" but still he uses it because it's free (pirated) then he is what we it is called a hypocrite.

Spr0k3t
June 3rd, 2007, 10:02 PM
The way I look at it, it is 100% legal for me to purchase a movie and then make a backup of that movie to be reproduced in any medium I choose to view it on.

Another point, if you have kids, you don't want your kids messing with the original movies, instead you want to make a stripped down backup of the original so they can pop in whatever movie and have it go right to the source of the movie bypassing all the lame premercials. Lest we not forget to mention the destructive nature of some kids.

I refuse to purchase any medium that has an installed method of restricting the end user from making a personal backup for the above reasons. It is my opinion, that with the DMCA, consumers must fight against the system. According to the AACS, DRM was created to restrict the medium options to which the end user is allowed to view. The fact that DRM helped fight piracy was a double edged sword. The fuel burned in the victum of the commerce giants in the industry. Fat cats who sit on their thrones citing vicious lies about those who do want a choice. The creation of DRM is nothing more than a hack-job to keep a dying business model afloat for another 10 years. They never expected the type of backlash they received.

Software is a different story. But I won't go there.

spacegypsy
June 3rd, 2007, 10:13 PM

Sorry to disappoint you but the 'majors' in the music industry are as evil as MS.

Same in the movie industry.

http://www.stealthisfilm.com/

peace

jgrabham
June 3rd, 2007, 10:20 PM
Sorry to disappoint you but the 'majors' in the music industry are as evil as MS.

Same in the movie industry.

http://www.stealthisfilm.com/

peace

I know, but the artists still need the 20p or whatever EMI/sun gives them these days for each album

spacegypsy
June 3rd, 2007, 10:31 PM
music is about live music not records

I know what I'm talking about I'm a musician myself

donatelo7
June 6th, 2007, 05:23 PM
hi