PDA

View Full Version : How to upgrade Sun JDK 6 to 6 update 1.

hantsy
June 3rd, 2007, 11:36 AM
I try to use the make-jpkg tool to build deb package from sun binary package for myself . But it prompt the message:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Creating temporary directory: /tmp/make-jpkg.oSMEl13663
Loading plugins: blackdown-j2re.sh blackdown-j2sdk.sh common.sh ibm-j2re.sh ibm-j2sdk.sh j2re.sh j2sdk-doc.sh j2sdk.sh j2se.sh sun-j2re.sh sun-j2sdk-doc.sh sun-j2sdk.sh

Detected Debian build architecture: i386
Detected Debian GNU type: i486-linux-gnu

No matching plugin was found.
Removing temporary directory: done

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I do this?
Why the offical Sun JDK 6 not upgrade to 6 update1?

steve.horsley
June 4th, 2007, 10:19 PM
I haven't a clue what you're talking about there. But I sould suggest downloading the self-extracting binary from Sun, and running that. It installs into /opt - you will need to re-point /usr/bin/java, which is a link to the existing java install.

hantsy
June 7th, 2007, 09:59 AM
I see the method you provided.
I do not understand the ubuntu why not upgrade jdk 6 to 6 update1.
The new version has some feature good for Gnome user.
For example ,
1.Desktop 3D effect bug fix for Beryl decoration
2.More friendly GTK look and feel support to make java GUI application has no difference from other GTK native application.

steve.horsley
June 7th, 2007, 03:34 PM
For stability reasons, Ubuntu is not updated after release - only security updates are released. This is true of most Linux distros, I believe. So if you want updates to a released version, you will have to make your own arrangements.

I have discovered recently that instead of overwriting the symlinks in /usr/bin, you can ut a link in /usr/local/bin and this is earlier than /usr/bin in the path, so you don't need to trash the original link.

JustAnotherVagueAnon
May 20th, 2008, 10:28 PM