PDA

View Full Version : Making Ubuntu look like Windows XP

wie6Ein0
June 2nd, 2007, 09:25 PM
Here's my attempt at making Ubuntu look like Windows XP. I would like to know what you think!

Screenshot is attached.

MetalMusicAddict
June 2nd, 2007, 09:28 PM
Not that I approve but I have to say its not a bad effort. I think you could get a little closer though. :)

jgrabham
June 2nd, 2007, 09:29 PM
looks good

FuturePilot
June 2nd, 2007, 09:34 PM
Scary :eek:
Changing the icon theme would complete the look
Looks good.

Ebuntor
June 2nd, 2007, 09:37 PM
That's no bad. :) If you can find some Windows-ish icons it would be pretty close. (some would call it pure blasphemy though ;))

If you're looking for a XP login window and a splash screen you can find it here (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/*******+Professional?content=53906&PHPSESSID=b7776a0e8812ec0e16c847ab81eaddab) and here (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Windows+XP+Login?content=57773&PHPSESSID=b7776a0e8812ec0e16c847ab81eaddab) respectively.

kamaboko
June 2nd, 2007, 09:40 PM
not bad

AndyCooll
June 2nd, 2007, 09:42 PM
That's not bad. I'm sure there's a "Windows" theme somewhere on the GNOME Art website.

:cool:

starcraft.man
June 2nd, 2007, 10:08 PM
Uh well the try seems ok, could be better like said... glaring Ubuntu logo certainly not in XP.

I don't really see why you'd want to though, I'm trying to forget XP... just a bad memory now. Not to mention there are so many other themes that aren't clones of Windows and Mac out there... like mine (http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b324/FFManiac1/Desktop.png). Anyway, thats me, do what makes ya happy.

Ebuntor
June 2nd, 2007, 10:10 PM
I don't really see why you'd want to though, I'm trying to forget XP... just a bad memory now. Not to mention there are so many other themes that aren't clones of Windows and Mac out there... like mine (http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b324/FFManiac1/Desktop.png). Anyway, thats me, do what makes ya happy.

That theme, isn't that "Smoked Glass"?

starcraft.man
June 2nd, 2007, 10:12 PM
That theme, isn't that "Smoked Glass"?

Yup, plus I changed the icon set (I think its called corsair on gnome look) and modified an emerald theme for my window look :). Took me a while to find a theme I liked.

Ebuntor
June 2nd, 2007, 10:15 PM
Yup, plus I changed the icon set and modified an emerald theme for my window look :). Took me a while to find a theme I liked.

I tried it some time ago but it had some problems with text in certain apps making it unreadable (such as in Firefox).

Is that still the case?

hraposo
June 2nd, 2007, 10:15 PM
If you want that your ubuntu seems like windows xp, the best one is you use windows, not ubuntu.
If you use ubuntu you must forget windows. If you like so mutch the look of windows forget ubuntu and still use Windows! I don't understanding people like you...

raldz
June 2nd, 2007, 10:20 PM
what did you do with the notification area? I would like to hide the icons in my notification area too.

starcraft.man
June 2nd, 2007, 10:23 PM
I tried it some time ago but it had some problems with text in certain apps making it unreadable (such as in Firefox).

Is that still the case?

Nope, there is an easy fix to get firefox looking right.

Link! (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Neutronium+Unity?content=59189) Download Classic at bottom.

Download and extract the pack. Read the instructions and then use the firefox fix written in, involves replacing the CSS for it.

I have trouble with the OO fix, I'm not sure why it doesn't work, I just got used to high contrast look, its not so bad. Maybe next release will make it easier to fix...

Oh and one more thing, if you want all your apps to look the same (ones launched by root and system) you'll need to run this command after installing smoked glass and setting it...

sudo cp -r ~/.themes /root

Thats it, give smoked glass a try again :D.

Ebuntor
June 2nd, 2007, 10:27 PM
what did you do with the notification area? I would like to hide the icons in my notification area too.

Right click on one of the panels and choose "Add to panel"
In the "Desktop & Windows" section choose "Drawer" and click the "Add" button
There should now be a drawer where you right clicked on the panel
Again right click this time on the drawer icon and select "Add to drawer"
In the "Utilities" section choose "Notification Area" and click the "Add" button
Done(sorry if it's a little too detailed ;))

DJ Wings
June 2nd, 2007, 10:28 PM
It burns! It burns!
I thought I was past the last time I had to put with WinXP's UI...

Ebuntor
June 2nd, 2007, 10:35 PM
Nope, there is an easy fix to get firefox looking right.

Link! (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Neutronium+Unity?content=59189) Download Classic at bottom.

Download and extract the pack. Read the instructions and then use the firefox fix written in, involves replacing the CSS for it.

I have trouble with the OO fix, I'm not sure why it doesn't work, I just got used to high contrast look, its not so bad. Maybe next release will make it easier to fix...

Oh and one more thing, if you want all your apps to look the same (ones launched by root and system) you'll need to run this command after installing smoked glass and setting it...

sudo cp -r ~/.themes /rootThats it, give smoked glass a try again :D.

Oooh that worked great! Thanks! I tried so much dark themes but I always preferred Smoked Glass.

That command is extremely handy, wish I knew about that earlier, ty :D

EDIT: now I look at it I feel kinda stupid not thinking of that solution myself, it's so simple.

Pikestaff
June 2nd, 2007, 10:42 PM
Haha wow, I'm pretty impressed (even if I wouldn't use it, myself ;) )

raldz
June 2nd, 2007, 10:43 PM
Right click on one of the panels and choose "Add to panel"
In the "Desktop & Windows" section choose "Drawer" and click the "Add" button
There should now be a drawer where you right clicked on the panel
Again right click this time on the drawer icon and select "Add to drawer"
In the "Utilities" section choose "Notification Area" and click the "Add" button
Done(sorry if it's a little too detailed ;))

Thanks.. no problem.. but you could just have said "use the drawer" to avoid the details... hehehehe... thanks again...

starcraft.man
June 2nd, 2007, 10:44 PM
Oooh that worked great! Thanks! I tried so much dark themes but I always preferred Smoked Glass.

That command is extremely handy, wish I knew about that earlier, ty :D

EDIT: now I look at it I feel kinda stupid not thinking of that solution myself, it's so simple.

Yay, I'm glad. Always on the look out to show more people the beautiful smoked glass theme :D

Oh and for everyone else, give it a shot :) (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Smoked+Glass+v0.9.5?content=27141) Always nice to experiment.

Anyway, I suppose we should stop digressing... >.>.

Ebuntor
June 2nd, 2007, 10:49 PM
Thanks.. no problem.. but you could just have said "use the drawer" to avoid the details... hehehehe... thanks again...

ROFL, that just cracked me up. :biggrin: Me carefully typing for 2 min all the steps making sure I explain it properly while I just could have typed "use the drawer".:p

hraposo
June 2nd, 2007, 10:55 PM
Luke at my ubuntu. It's beautiful! It's a ubuntu like ubuntu... And seems like ubuntu too...34160

wie6Ein0
June 3rd, 2007, 01:12 AM
Luke at my ubuntu. It's beautiful! It's a ubuntu like ubuntu... And seems like ubuntu too...34160

Trust me -- it wasn't an easy choice to make... I debated with myself on whether or not I should change to an XP look for almost an hour. I probably won't stick with it long anyway before I decide to go back to the normal GNOME Ubuntu look. I was mostly just bored and wanted to see how close I could get to the XP (with Royale visual style) look.

picpak
June 3rd, 2007, 02:37 AM
I fail to see why you'd want to look like XP, but a good effort nonetheless.

Also: how'd you get the system tray icons hidden and pop up like that?

wie6Ein0
June 3rd, 2007, 02:45 AM
I fail to see why you'd want to look like XP, but a good effort nonetheless.

Also: how'd you get the system tray icons hidden and pop up like that?

I used a drawer. You can find instructions on how to add a drawer in a previous post in this thread.

init1
June 3rd, 2007, 03:36 AM
Nice, not that I like win xp themes but still rather close. Try editing the menu so that all of you programs are found in the same list. It gets very annoying, but it is, after all, one of the things that has stayed the same from win 95 to win xp.

JReagan1990
June 3rd, 2007, 03:49 AM
hmmm... nice job... It's kinda creepy, but nice!

I was trying out some themes and found a vista theme, and it looks JUST LIKE vista basic, and acts like it... scared the heck out if me.

guitarmaniac
June 3rd, 2007, 05:39 AM
@westoncampbell

Please write a Howto for this theme.
My mother in law hates using ubuntu, but if I change the theme for her user account to me more XP like, it might make her more comfortable.

H.E. Pennypacker
June 3rd, 2007, 06:26 AM
How did you change the panel? Your panel is blue (much like Windows Media Center edition). It looks great, including the Ubuntu icon part (the green all the way on the left). Tell us about the panel work.

Quake
June 3rd, 2007, 07:02 AM
I have to say that the theme looks better than Windows XP :p

shijirou
June 3rd, 2007, 07:04 AM
Nice getting it to look like windows, but well yeah, I guess some of you still have your preferences and want the old windows look. I don't miss it one bit...

mpgarate
June 4th, 2007, 09:48 PM
what theme are you using? could you provide some details about how i could recreate this?

cstudent
June 4th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Here's my attempt at making Ubuntu look like Windows XP. I would like to know what you think!

Screenshot is attached.

But why would you want to? The real trick is to make XP work like Ubuntu. :)

ALBERT6
June 4th, 2007, 09:51 PM
;) nah

lemonwonder
June 13th, 2007, 09:03 AM
1 Word To Say:

POO!

Lotza More Words To Say:

Poo I didnt have that installed when I had ubuntu on computa. May consider puttin bak on. Thats incredible! How fast does it run?

nnvincent
December 31st, 2008, 01:49 AM
looks cool, but how did you do it?