PDA

View Full Version : Perceptive Pixel Simply Awesome | 1000 times better then Surface

RAV TUX
June 2nd, 2007, 08:27 PM
http://multi-touchscreen.com/perceptive-pixel-jeff-han.html

Perceptive Pixel is a startup founded by Jeff Han. Working all but alone from his hardware-strewn office, Jeff Han is about to change the face of computing. Not even the big boys are likely to catch him. Jeff Han and Phil Davidson shows how a multi-touch computer screen will change the way we work (and play).

Where Microsoft got the idea for surface.

H.E. Pennypacker
June 2nd, 2007, 08:31 PM
I really don't get the hype. I don't want other people touching my laptop screen (LCD), so why would I? Anything that comes in contact with a human hand will eventually become dirty (since its kind of a pain to clean the LCD screen, I don't want it dirty). I am perfectly fine with a keyboard.

RAV TUX
June 2nd, 2007, 08:35 PM
I really don't get the hype. I don't want other people touching my laptop screen (LCD), so why would I? Anything that comes in contact with a human hand will eventually become dirty (since its kind of a pain to clean the LCD screen, I don't want it dirty). I am perfectly fine with a keyboard.watch the video on the link....

btw my wife owns a Fujitsu Lifebook T4210 with an active digitizer you don't have to touch the screen, the active digitizer pen works by simply hovering over the screen, you can touch it with the pen but don't need to. Also with the active digitizer touching the screen with your hand or fingers doesn't effect anything. This is an advanced hybrid of touch screens available now.

RAV TUX
June 2nd, 2007, 08:48 PM
watch the video on the link....

btw my wife owns a Fujitsu Lifebook T4210 with an active digitizer you don't have to touch the screen, the active digitizer pen works by simply hovering over the screen, you can touch it with the pen but don't need to. Also with the active digitizer touching the screen with your hand or fingers doesn't effect anything. This is an advanced hybrid of touch screens available now.

The latest version is Fujitsu Lifebook T4215 which I plan to purchase for myself

maniacmusician
June 2nd, 2007, 09:04 PM
Why are you linking people to that page? Why not just link to perceptive pixel's homepage? http://www.perceptivepixel.com/ It's got the same video demo.

RAV TUX
June 2nd, 2007, 09:09 PM
Why are you linking people to that page? Why not just link to perceptive pixel's homepage? http://www.perceptivepixel.com/ It's got the same video demo.

Ahh Thanks buddy for the better link.....I linked to the other one because it was my introduction, the link a friend sent to me.

Thanks for the 411 ;)

prizrak
June 2nd, 2007, 10:30 PM
It's the same tech. Both are nothing but a multi-input touchscreen, you can make software to work with it. MS Surface is actually alot more like bump top than anything else.

Adamant1988
June 3rd, 2007, 02:33 AM

You know, interesting thing about new technology and innovations, it's usually not the innovator that really benefits from it. Companies like Microsoft that sit back and watch the technology carefully and then step in at just the right moment succeed with it. Making it first also doesn't make it any better.

RAV TUX
June 3rd, 2007, 02:49 AM
You know, interesting thing about new technology and innovations, it's usually not the innovator that really benefits from it. Companies like Microsoft that sit back and watch the technology carefully and then step in at just the right moment succeed with it. Making it first also doesn't make it any better.

I have also heard that many new ideas enter the universe through the thought process of many, it is just who can bring it to market first that is important. The origin of the idea isn't so important.

hanzomon4
June 3rd, 2007, 02:52 AM
Cool, both are very impressive. I like the practicality of the MS implementation, or what they plan on using surface for. This one has a minority report thing going on. It looks like we're one step closer to the Jetson's, now where's my flying car?

RAV TUX
June 3rd, 2007, 02:54 AM
Cool, both are very impressive. I like the practicality of the MS implementation, or what they plan on using surface for. This one has a minority report thing going on. It looks like we're one step closer to the Jetson's, now where's my flying car?

I want the foodarackascker from the Jetsons.

forrestcupp
June 3rd, 2007, 02:54 AM
Why doesn't someone make a desktop environment for a regular computer that will accept 2 mice inputs each with their own pointer?

mech7
June 3rd, 2007, 02:56 AM
Why doesn't someone make a desktop environment for a regular computer that will accept 2 mice inputs each with their own pointer?

That allready exists for a while.. there is also a app for XP i believe :)

RAV TUX
June 3rd, 2007, 03:02 AM

I have used two mice on my computer before, but unfortunately I forgot with which OS. It was just a novelty for me so I didn't commit it to memory.

Why would anyone want this?

It may have been in XP, and one of the Mice or both may have been a Razer mouse which of course have their own drivers. again I can't quite remember, I just remember, wheeee I am using two mice for about 5 minutes then I probably went back to doing something normal.

darklemming54
June 3rd, 2007, 03:03 AM

They have been doing R&D for the project for years, since 2001 which is before they video came out. They didn't steal the idea.

I really don't get the hype. I don't want other people touching my laptop screen (LCD), so why would I? Anything that comes in contact with a human hand will eventually become dirty (since its kind of a pain to clean the LCD screen, I don't want it dirty). I am perfectly fine with a keyboard.

its not for desktop use, mostly businesses will be buying them like restaurants or places that print photos.

RAV TUX
June 3rd, 2007, 03:04 AM
They have been doing R&D for the project for years, since 2001 which is before they video came out. They didn't steal the idea.

its not for desktop use, mostly businesses will be buying them like restaurants or places that print photos.
I could see them in road side rest stops, with state information.

hanzomon4
June 3rd, 2007, 03:20 AM
It would be neat if(when) devices around the house are truly connected wirelessly you could control your house with a device using this technology. Check email, select movies on your computer(or the web) to play on your living room tv or every tv in the house, set/control house and car security systems, check the amount of energy you're using and how much it's going to cost you in realtime, or some other junk.

Honestly I can't make this technology sound more then just neat in the home.

prizrak
June 3rd, 2007, 03:26 AM

MITS technology has been around since the 70's. In fact we rarely see actual new technology in our day and age. Alot of stuff has been out for decades before but was either to expensive to produce or way ahead of it's time (i.e. you couldn't market it because no one saw the need for it). Time to market is just as important as technological innovation. Imagine if Linux was out same time as DOS was first introduced.

RAV TUX
June 3rd, 2007, 03:26 AM
It would be neat if(when) devices around the house are truly connected wirelessly you could control your house with a device using this technology. Check email, select movies on your computer(or the web) to play on your living room tv or every tv in the house, set/control house and car security systems, check the amount of energy you're using and how much it's going to cost you in realtime, or some other junk.

Honestly I can't make this technology sound more then just neat in the home.

It would be nice if it would clean my house, do the dishes, do the laundry and run errands for me.

kamaboko
June 3rd, 2007, 04:02 AM

Truth be told, multi-point touch sensitive pads were developed by Bill Buxton from Toronto University back in 1985. Guess who Bill works for? Microsoft. Who do you think Jeff Hann credits for inventing multi-point touch sensitive technology? Bill Buxton.

starcraft.man
June 3rd, 2007, 04:24 AM
Bah, I don't care who developed it (MS or a Uni).

Back to the matter... I just don't see the utility, maybe I'm a bit grumpy/old fashioned but there isn't anything wrong with my good ol' keyboard and mouse. It's proven itself over the years to be reliable and effective. I think I'm gonna stick with what I know. Not to mention, this will like stated cost a fortune and be limited to major businesses and the rich for a (likely long) time... I don't see a real point in ogling (I spell that right?) at it. The only advantage I see to having one done thats not run by MS, is that they can't screw it up (like Vista, Zune, OneCare, etc....)

Oh and this message has been typed on my reliable keyboard and mouse :).

slimdog360
June 3rd, 2007, 06:53 AM
yeah, Ive seen stuff like this for a few years now, well before 'surface' became so publicised.

hanzomon4
June 3rd, 2007, 06:54 AM
How old are all of you jaded users? I like new stuff, it's shiny and pretty like.
But yeah I can't make this make sense in the home, like the internet way back when... I was so wrong on that one :(

RAV TUX
June 3rd, 2007, 06:57 AM
Truth be told, multi-point touch sensitive pads were developed by Bill Buxton from Toronto University back in 1985. Guess who Bill works for? Microsoft. Who do you think Jeff Hann credits for inventing multi-point touch sensitive technology? Bill Buxton.good to know, thanks for the 411...I new that post would inspire someone to post where the origin came from, I was too lazy/busy to research it.

tehkain
June 3rd, 2007, 07:15 AM
I remember when people used to flip at the idea of a mouse ruled gui. Now this will make them insane!

Unless they come up with some super command line touch interface like on spaceships in sci fi.

EdThaSlayer
June 3rd, 2007, 08:43 AM
I like this idea of multi-touch screen. It would be pretty cool to be able to just carry a flexible screen around that can be rolled into a newspaper and just use my fingers to make a keyboard pop up. Ah, the future looks great.

RAV TUX
June 3rd, 2007, 08:52 AM
I like this idea of multi-touch screen. It would be pretty cool to be able to just carry a flexible screen around that can be rolled into a newspaper and just use my fingers to make a keyboard pop up. Ah, the future looks great.

The closest to this is the Nokia 888 concept phone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3dF44XtHek

LightB
June 3rd, 2007, 09:20 AM
I've seen stuff like this at the mall. And even better stuff in VR-like arcades. It doesn't matter if it's good or not. If you can afford it go for it. The only big deal I see here is that something has been trumpeted by MS.

forrestcupp
June 3rd, 2007, 01:15 PM
I have used two mice on my computer before, but unfortunately I forgot with which OS. It was just a novelty for me so I didn't commit it to memory.

Why would anyone want this?

It may have been in XP, and one of the Mice or both may have been a Razer mouse which of course have their own drivers. again I can't quite remember, I just remember, wheeee I am using two mice for about 5 minutes then I probably went back to doing something normal.

Well, people might want it for the same reasons that multi touch screens would come in handy. In real life, it is more useful to have two hands than just one. With two mice, I could do the same resizing and flipping windows around that you see in Surface. In gimp, I could be using a paint brush with one hand and a smudge tool with the other. I'd say for most things people would still use one mouse, but innovation comes from thinking outside the box. We've been trained to be one-handed computer people, while in real life having only one hand would make life hard. If you could get past thinking like this, you might realize lots of reasons that 2 mice might be cool.

edit:

But software would have to be written to take advantage of it before we would see the benefits.

Lord Illidan
June 3rd, 2007, 01:19 PM

Actually, Surface has a glass surface, so you won't clean up anything related to the LCD.

starcraft.man
June 3rd, 2007, 01:26 PM
How old are all of you jaded users? I like new stuff, it's shiny and pretty like.
But yeah I can't make this make sense in the home, like the internet way back when... I was so wrong on that one :(

LOL! Geez, just because I'm a little grumpy and sceptical I "have to" be old and jaded :p. BAH!. In any case, it takes more than "shiny and pretty" to impress me, you have to actually deliver on it (involves me seeing and using) til then its just like all the promises Vista made and then dropped like a rock in months before launch. Or all the claims of OLED which have yet to produce a viable product...

And for the record I'm not "old" and I don't feel like disclosing my age. >.>

kamaboko
June 3rd, 2007, 02:07 PM
good to know, thanks for the 411...I new that post would inspire someone to post where the origin came from, I was too lazy/busy to research it.

Pullleeezzz. You, like many other people here, jumped on the bandwagon of ignorance and hammered MS.

NumberOne
June 3rd, 2007, 02:32 PM
This technology is great but no one will be able to afford it. Have you ever priced a regular touchscreen for a pc? A good one starts at about $500, and they have been around for years.

I think a more pratical inovation has come from Sony. Have you seen there plasitc film than can be used as a display. It looks like a peice of mylar. This can be rolled up and bent without damage. Looks promising.

starcraft.man
June 3rd, 2007, 02:44 PM
Pullleeezzz. You, like many other people here, jumped on the bandwagon of ignorance and hammered MS.

Well, I can't speak for everyone else but I couldn't care less if the Queen of England herself made it, I still wouldn't be interested in the technology! Secondly, what's your point? I'd say its no worse (in fact I'd say better, most of us have seen both sides like me, though in this particular case windows experience means little) than the unfounded Linux bashing that goes on a good majority of other sites/forums/blogs I've seen. And what do you expect? The forums is called "Ubuntu Forums" not "Grovel at Microsoft's feet", so we have a slight bias I guess. This forum also has a large chunk of (I assume disgruntled and unhappy, else they'd prolly never have looked for another OS) ex-Windows users (like me) who (insert reason for being upset) have decided they are tired of Windows and its problems (or maybe tired of getting treated like a pirate by WGA) and sought another solution.

So in all honesty, what do you expect from this forum? If you want a site where everyone worships MS like a god, go to one of those sites... they aren't hard to find. Oh and one last thing, if you find us so "ignorant" and disagreeable then theres nothing forcing you to stay here and be in our "ignorant" presence/forum >.>.

*end of mild rant*

Oh and, back on topic, me still grumpy and me still sceptical till I got one right at my fingertips >.>.

psyopper
June 3rd, 2007, 05:48 PM
Oh and, back on topic, me still grumpy and me still sceptical till I got one right at my fingertips >.>.

And that is the purest form of "ignorant", directly from Mirriam Webster (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/ignorant): lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified.

You are in fact ignorant of the Microsoft surface. The persons posting about your ignorance are in fact ignorant on the use of the word ignorant.

And this discussion room is set up specifically for this purpose, to discuss things other than Ubuntu while staying within the philosophy of the word and idea "ubuntu" itself.

forrestcupp
June 3rd, 2007, 06:21 PM
And what do you expect? The forums is called "Ubuntu Forums" not "Grovel at Microsoft's feet", so we have a slight bias I guess. This forum also has a large chunk of (I assume disgruntled and unhappy, else they'd prolly never have looked for another OS) ex-Windows users (like me) who (insert reason for being upset) have decided they are tired of Windows and its problems (or maybe tired of getting treated like a pirate by WGA) and sought another solution.

Give me a break, man. Not everyone in this forum is a Microsoft hater. Anyone who has that much hate has a problem. Some people just choose to use Linux because they like it. You don't have to be out to destroy Microsoft to be a happy Linux user.

Tux Aubrey
June 4th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Back to http://www.perceptivepixel.com/

This is awesome! I'm a very visual and kinaesthetic thinker and a lot of my work involves translating complex (and often abstract) concepts into something people can understand and relate to - ecology, law, resource allocation, that sort of stuff. This technology would help enormously - being able to physically manipulate images on such a large surface would be heaven! The GIS stuff was particularly thrilling to me - Google Earth x 1 million.

This is something I must have before I die (but long enough before so that I really get to play with it, not like five minutes before when I'm gasping for air and muttering "Rosebud". That would be a real bummer.)

If this site had one of those "Add to Shopping Cart" icons, I would have clicked it. I have already sent the link up the line at work with a suggestion they buy me one ASAP.

burt_57
June 4th, 2007, 02:14 PM

I am with you, no one will and shall touch my screen... or out they go.
:popcorn: