PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning from GNOME to Fluxbox

marsm
June 2nd, 2007, 07:50 PM
I love Ubuntu for its hardware detection and drivers/patches, the ginormous repositories and of course the general easiness of it all (bye, Slackware!). I believe it can and will seriously challenge Windows and Mac OS (especially since it's being shipped pre-installed by Dell).

I really don't like GNOME, though. It hides too much functions from me that I'd like to change and it's usually very slow on my nx6310 laptop (1.5GHz, 512MB, integrated GPU). When I had 500MB instead of 1.5GB of swap space it crashed more regularly than Windows did. Most of my applications (firefox, thunderbird, acroread, thunar, vim, vlc) don't depend on GNOME libraries anyway and neither do I need any kind of integration between them. Besides, for me, Fluxbox is a lot easier to control, anyway (once it's all configured and set up).

I'm not going to switch to Fluxbuntu just because of that, though. I don't think we really need another distro just because of that. So how can we convert some of the basic functions (that make GNOME attractive to some extent) to Fluxbox? Shouldn't be too difficult, right? Well, I googled and searched the forums for quite some time and I'd like to spare that time for whoever prefers Fluxbox, but doesn't want to switch to Xubuntu/Fluxbuntu etc.

Commands for some of the GNOME functions in Fluxbox (I assume you type sudo before some of these):

reboot
poweroff
/etc/acpi/hibernate.sh
gdmflexiserver #start gdm for another user
amixer #instead of gnome-volume-control

Most applications listed in the panel menu can be imported to the fluxbox menu if you do as it says in ~/.fluxbox/menu.

Any additions?

a12ctic
June 2nd, 2007, 07:54 PM
Just use XFCE, it has more features than fluxbox, has a light memory footprint, is effient, has excellent thunar intergration and its based on GTK.

BOBSONATOR
June 2nd, 2007, 08:18 PM
Fluxbox is great, very minimalistic and very fast,

use programs like xcompmgr, gtk-chteme, and to use gtk-icons nano your ~/.gtkrc-2.0

mips
June 2nd, 2007, 10:29 PM
Weird, I have a nx6110 1.4GHz celeron, 512MB, 1GB swap and KDE runs just fine on it. Although I must say I find ubuntu slow on it but other distros perform better.