PDA

View Full Version : Maya users

tocky
June 2nd, 2007, 04:18 PM
I was wondering what kind of distribution Maya users use, since at least I feel that Maya doesn't work properly under Ubuntu, so i wonder if you got it working flawlessly or you use other distributions in order to satisfy Maya. Other distributions that I'm thinking about trying is, PCLinux OS, OpenSuse and Fedora. Do they have better compability with Maya?

v8YKxgHe
June 2nd, 2007, 04:24 PM
When I run Maya in Ubuntu it seems to work great, better than on Windows I'd say. What is it that doesn't work?

mech7
June 2nd, 2007, 04:25 PM
It does run ok with me on Ubuntu some bugs though.. but i suspect it has more to do with my ATI card.. I think best bet if you are going to use it allot is to grab a supported distro like RedHat or SUSE. Something which can install RPM nativly.

tocky
June 2nd, 2007, 04:30 PM
Well, the shelfs are missing which is very bad. But most of all, the performance is outrageous, even though my pc isn't in fact an monster, still Maya does perform a lot better in Windows XP with the same hardware.

Don't you have these problems?

Engnome
June 2nd, 2007, 05:03 PM
I was wondering what kind of distribution Maya users use

Windows XP 64bit = /

Tried with ubuntu, not worth the effort IMHO. (YMMV)

EDIT: The big maya thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=66859

mech7
June 2nd, 2007, 05:07 PM
Well, the shelfs are missing which is very bad. But most of all, the performance is outrageous, even though my pc isn't in fact an monster, still Maya does perform a lot better in Windows XP with the same hardware.

Don't you have these problems?

Shelves work with me.. but indeed i run under XP x64 too.. performance is not less with me under ubuntu if any it's faster. but the interface in linux is buttugly :(

Engnome
June 2nd, 2007, 05:15 PM
but the interface in linux is buttugly :(

Yes, uses OpenMotif IIRC.

tocky
June 2nd, 2007, 06:37 PM
Shelves work with me.. but indeed i run under XP x64 too.. performance is not less with me under ubuntu if any it's faster. but the interface in linux is buttugly :(

Well how did you install Maya, I did exactly as the tutorial shows on these forums, and I got Maya to work, but the speed and my shelfs are missing. I'm now downloading Fedora, as it should be compatible with Maya.

mech7
June 2nd, 2007, 07:16 PM
Well how did you install Maya, I did exactly as the tutorial shows on these forums, and I got Maya to work, but the speed and my shelfs are missing. I'm now downloading Fedora, as it should be compatible with Maya.

Yup just installed it same way as in the tut.. i did need to change something in the .env file for the cursor and i had to set a dir to writable for mentalray.

mech7
June 2nd, 2007, 08:13 PM
Btw to add.. use proper drivers the default ones have crap 3d support, and also the Shelves where hidden by me at default show i had to turn them on ;)

tocky
June 2nd, 2007, 08:52 PM
If you mean the nvidia drivers, then I do use them, but I'll check into the shelfs.

tocky
June 3rd, 2007, 08:33 AM
I've now got it to work much faster, I reinstall ubuntu 7.04 from scratch, and then installed maya again, and now it works fast, plus that I got the shelfs (thanks for the tip!).

One more question though, when I use maya, my cursor changes to an ugly black X, which stays until I reboot or restart the x-server. Do you have the same problem, can it be fixed somehow?

Cheers

tocky
June 3rd, 2007, 01:32 PM
And also how to you rotate the view? Alt + rmb doesn't work

mech7
June 3rd, 2007, 02:35 PM
And also how to you rotate the view? Alt + rmb doesn't work

Set the alt key System -> Preferences -> Windows and change alt to Super (windows key) for example..

For the black cursor edit Maya.env and put in: MAYA_MMSET_DEFAULT_XCURSOR=1

Also you need to chmod a tmp dir to 777 for maya for mental ray don't remember which one but it is in the manuel :)