PDA

View Full Version : Anyone miss the dial up sounds?

jgrabham
June 2nd, 2007, 12:22 PM
Just thought of it, used to be really annoying, but now i miss it!

Chilli Bob
June 2nd, 2007, 12:26 PM
Nope! I heard them about 30 seconds ago.

(Makes downloading upgrades a pain.)

akudewan
June 2nd, 2007, 12:34 PM
Oh yeah, I miss it. I had this weird "External Voice Speakerphone" modem. It made 4 times the noise other modems did.

I remember I was trying to play Descent over the modem with a friend. It ended with him picking up the phone! LOL!!

mech7
June 2nd, 2007, 01:49 PM
no i dont miss it at all :)

nickburns
June 2nd, 2007, 02:00 PM
What is dial up???? :)

shijirou
June 2nd, 2007, 02:03 PM
I gotta admit I got by using dial up during my high school and college days. Even if it was annoyingly slow I managed to download a lot of files.

Kinda miss it but wouldnt want to be using it again anytime soon.

jgrabham
June 2nd, 2007, 02:09 PM
It was fine for browsing the web before videos and animations started being everywhere!

notwen
June 2nd, 2007, 02:18 PM
dial up + qmodem + local bbs + lord = first net addiction *twitch*

hanzomon4
June 2nd, 2007, 02:38 PM
Ah yeah, Those sounds we're like an electroacoustic master piece ready-made. The first time I heard the modem sounds was with aol on win95,

ogregore
June 2nd, 2007, 02:38 PM
Hey,

If you just miss the sound but not the slow burning agravation.....here you go. Just untar and listen (it's actually a ringtone mp3).

Cheers
Ogre

BWF89
June 2nd, 2007, 02:39 PM
I remember teh first time I heard those sounds.

Me: "WTF"

After awhile I found out you could disable them on AOL

bchaffin72
June 2nd, 2007, 03:11 PM
No. I always manually disabled the modem speaker when I had dialup.

kostkon
June 2nd, 2007, 03:33 PM
Hey,

If you just miss the sound but not the slow burning agravation.....here you go. Just untar and listen (it's actually a ringtone mp3).

Cheers
Ogre

Thanks for the mp3. I had almost ten years to listen to this sound! It brought back memories!

a12ctic
June 2nd, 2007, 04:06 PM
I had an external dial up modemn that didn't make any noise, i still use that thing at my summer house :)

Dragonbite
June 3rd, 2007, 03:12 AM
Nope! Use it every day (or so). Actually I have the volume down or off so I don't have to listen to it.

shen-an-doah
June 3rd, 2007, 03:23 AM
I remember having an internal modem that didn't make any sound, instead it just played the sound through the speakers... O_o

prizrak
June 3rd, 2007, 03:30 AM
I miss it too, I used to feel like I accomplished something when going online, there was an old school sci-fi feel to it. Now I just open up Firefox.

Compucore
June 3rd, 2007, 06:13 AM
Oh hell yeah I do miss that. I remember those days. COnnecting to a local BBS. Downloading and uploading mailpackets and answering them offline Dpes amyone reember Silly little Mail reader or Bluewave mail reader for offline where they would decompress the message packet. Read through, reply to any and send the reply packet back up. Those were the days I miss a lot.

:D

Compucore

FuturePilot
June 3rd, 2007, 06:20 AM
Don't miss it one bit. Now every time I do hear it, it brings back bad memories. All those memories of slow page loading, painfully slow download speeds. Not to mention, now it sounds like nails on a chalkboard:-&

Lol at that ringtone:lolflag:

Blarion
June 3rd, 2007, 07:20 AM
Yeah, I miss it, but dial up was so slow. Good riddance.

runningwithscissors
June 4th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I still listen to them everyday.
And for extra l33tness, I use pppd directly. None of this n00bish wvdial nonsense. :lol:

Dragonbite
June 4th, 2007, 03:31 PM
I still listen to them everyday.
And for extra l33tness, I use pppd directly. None of this n00bish wvdial nonsense. :lol:Do you know of any good documentation on using this? I've been using the wvdial stuff for a while, which unless RedHat has made any changes to it (which I doubt.. it's a dying technology) it has never worked correctly for me without tweaking.

Bartender
June 4th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Yeah, sure, easy for you guys who don't have to deal with dial-up any more to wax nostalgic.

I wish I could reminisce about the "good old days" :roll:

Bakerconspiracy
June 4th, 2007, 03:43 PM
hey, any of you guys know any programs to utilize that old modem?.... It would be cool if you could make phone calls with your computer and be able to talk through a mic on the computer on the telephone line or have a computer voice talk as soon as someone picked up.

UbuntuniX
June 4th, 2007, 03:46 PM
I never found it annoying, so yes, I do miss it. :(

My computer's internal modem never made any sound when dialing, though...

runningwithscissors
June 4th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Do you know of any good documentation on using this? I've been using the wvdial stuff for a while, which unless RedHat has made any changes to it (which I doubt.. it's a dying technology) it has never worked correctly for me without tweaking.
Well, wvdial sets pppd up for you, and I suspect does a very good job of it unless you know a lot about your modem. With pppd you have to manually send those initialisation and dialling commands to the modem.
I don't have a step by step guide with me right now, but I can post one when I get home if you're feeling particularly masochistic. :lol: