PDA

View Full Version : Left Fedora...

Casemyster
June 2nd, 2007, 12:16 PM
I feel bad, I had fedora ever since I started linux, they are just falling apart and not updating as much. The pathetic thing is I feel bad for leaving it, when it is just 1's and 0's at the basics. :( Im such a geek, but I hope I enjoy Ubuntu and can be a happy and active part of the community! Hola ;)

Tux Aubrey
June 2nd, 2007, 12:23 PM
And Hola to you, Casemyster. Welcome!

I'm sure all your experience will come in very handy - both for you and the community here.

Funny, I just downloaded the Fedora 7 live iso and was going to try it out. I love Ubuntu, but I do stray now and again.

RomeReactor
June 2nd, 2007, 12:32 PM
Hi Casemyster. I'm sorry you had to part ways with Fedora under unpleasant circumstances; I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard good things about it. However, now that you are here, you'll see that this is a very vibrant community. Welcome!

bapoumba
June 2nd, 2007, 02:03 PM
Thread moved to "Community Cafe".
And welcome aboard :)

Chilli Bob
June 2nd, 2007, 02:33 PM
Fedora (or maybe it was Red Hat) was my first attempt at Linux a couple of years ago. I never managed to get it to install successfully on anything, and I went around telling people Linux was crap. I tried Ubuntu back in March and now I'm 100% Microsoft free at home. Welcome aboard!!

penncon
June 2nd, 2007, 02:35 PM
I've been using Linux since Red Hat 5.2 and I've tried just about every distro known to man. I've been running Ubuntu for a while now and love it. Ubuntu does so many things right that other distros just haven't caught onto.

That being said, I did d/l the Fedora 7 Live CD to try out. I booted to it, got a kernel panic, and now probably won't try again.

starcraft.man
June 2nd, 2007, 03:00 PM
Welcome to the community Casemyster. Don't be sad about changing distro, we are all one big family of Linux. Anyway, I'm sure you'll have fun with Ubuntu, if there's any problems we'll be here to give ya a little help. :)

Gargamella
June 2nd, 2007, 03:28 PM
welcome to ubuntu community!

The thing that made me move from mandriva to ubuntu was the help of the people in here and the very good speed that has the ubuntu project

so don't worry, I think and hope you will be fine here

ThinkBuntu
June 2nd, 2007, 03:49 PM
Welcome! I'll be the guy who recommends other distros to you down the road just to keep your mind open.

shijirou
June 2nd, 2007, 04:38 PM
Oh I was going to try out Fedora 7 as well, maybe I can install Fedora 7 on my old box. Still I think Fedora has its stengths, so don't feel bad.

LightB
June 2nd, 2007, 06:22 PM
Uh yeah, Fedora does have it's strenghts. Take scim for example. You don't need to hack around with Xsession to install writing in another language, you just install a package. And it also works with everything unlike on Ubuntu which crashes some mozilla apps unless you use the "xim" setting - but then that causes other bugs. On Fedora it just works. There are other examples I could note. I'm not putting down Ubuntu, just saying it's true, distros have strenghts and weaknesses.

igknighted
June 2nd, 2007, 07:21 PM
I've been a big fan of Fedora (the only gnome distro I will use) for some time, but I ran into issues with Fedora 7. While I had been waiting for the release, I had installed Suse 10.2 again... and everything has been so easy, from enabling dual monitors to configuring everything just how I like it... I think I might just stick with it for a while. Point being, I feel very much like you do. I love Fedora, but at this point I just can't use it.