PDA

View Full Version : How did the word boot become a computer term

northicert
June 2nd, 2007, 03:39 AM
Do you remeber this. E;)ntering a piece of code through 16 toggle switches that are labeled up = 1 down =0 and the 17th switch labeled enter.

Ireclan
June 2nd, 2007, 04:05 AM
I don't mean to be rude, but how does the content of your post relate to the thread title in any way?

Regardless, my answer is no- I was probably not even born when that method of inputing data was utilized.

muguwmp67
June 2nd, 2007, 04:18 AM
I believe the term is related to the saying of "pulling oneself up by the bootstraps'. An OS has to load the very fundamental aspects of hardware management before it can start doing anything cool. Thus, starting a computer was termed bootstrapping, and from there, shortened to 'boot'.

I'm not an expert on etymology, but I'm pretty sure this is the foundation for 'boot'.

prizrak
June 2nd, 2007, 04:19 AM
I believe the term is related to the saying of "pulling oneself up by the bootstraps'. An OS has to load the very fundamental aspects of hardware management before it can start doing anything cool. Thus, starting a computer was termed bootstrapping, and from there, shortened to 'boot'.

I'm not an expert on etymology, but I'm pretty sure this is the foundation for 'boot'.

You are correct sir! Originally it was called "Bootstrapping" the system.

mips
June 2nd, 2007, 10:02 AM
You are correct sir! Originally it was called "Bootstrapping" the system.

+1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootstrapping_(computing)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootstrapping_(compilers)

northicert
June 2nd, 2007, 04:07 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to post something that was off base. I believe the first computers were booted with a strip that was like a ticker tape and looked like a strap. AND thanks for everyone's help while I'm getting Feisty up to speed

mips
June 2nd, 2007, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE=northicert;2767681]Sorry, didn't mean to post something that was off base. I believe the first computers were booted with a strip that was like a ticker tape and looked like a strap. /QUOTE]

Sounds like you are thinking of punch cards.