PDA

View Full Version : Please, for the love of god... Don't play this game...

Adamant1988
June 1st, 2007, 05:47 PM
Whoever said that you needed fancy graphics, amazing sound effects, or even a decent story to build a fun and addictive game can go DIAF.

I present to you.. Desktop Tower Defense (http://www.kongregate.com/games/preecep/desktop-tower-defense?facebook_id=546395530). I discovered this through Facebook apps and I've been addicted to it ever since. I've managed to get to level 50 on easy mode (I didn't win, mind you, but I haven't been playing long).

If you value your free time, your family, your friends, or your life... don't play this game..

azkehmm
June 1st, 2007, 06:24 PM
That's some good ****!!!

justin whitaker
June 1st, 2007, 06:34 PM
Whoever said that you needed fancy graphics, amazing sound effects, or even a decent story to build a fun and addictive game can go DIAF.

I present to you.. Desktop Tower Defense (http://www.kongregate.com/games/preecep/desktop-tower-defense?facebook_id=546395530). I discovered this through Facebook apps and I've been addicted to it ever since. I've managed to get to level 50 on easy mode (I didn't win, mind you, but I haven't been playing long).

If you value your free time, your family, your friends, or your life... don't play this game..

Another one falls to DTD. The folks over at Gamers With Jobs have been talking about this for weeks...forgoing just about any other game! That's unheard of for a Flash game.

Quite addictive.

ajeffreys
June 1st, 2007, 06:55 PM
You should never have linked to it :)

Kingsley
June 1st, 2007, 06:56 PM
Is it an RPG or what?

justin whitaker
June 1st, 2007, 06:57 PM
Is it an RPG or what?

Strategy, sort of.

starcraft.man
June 1st, 2007, 07:11 PM
Lol, reminds me of lemmings... except destructive rather than constructive.

I'll stick to green lemmings on my PSP :).

Adamant1988
June 1st, 2007, 07:14 PM
I finally beat level 50 on easy lol... took a bit of stratemagizing. Onto the next level up... Wheeew.

Raccoonzers
June 1st, 2007, 07:19 PM
....One game, at the easiest difficulty, to boot, and I'm already addicted. Good thing I don't have class until the fall <_<

natedawg
June 1st, 2007, 07:27 PM
Desktop TD is a fun game!

If you want an even more addicting tower game play Onslaught.

http://ec2-1.playr.co.uk/onslaught/

I have been playing it all week. The game even has its own forum :)
Best score I can get so far is around 320,000,000 on level 192.

JC_510
June 1st, 2007, 07:48 PM
looooool!! Every now and then a great flash game comes along.

Reminds me of IT lessons at school where we used to play 'Heli Attack 3' - Now that was a game!!

Anthem
June 1st, 2007, 07:58 PM
I've beaten it on medium without losing a single life. I've played "The 100" challenge and gotten almost all the way to the end... level 79.

Adamant1988
June 1st, 2007, 08:24 PM
My first go at medium, had 13 lives left at the end of the game...

Dragonbite
June 1st, 2007, 08:31 PM
You Are Evil!

Anthem
June 1st, 2007, 09:24 PM
Try this.

garba
June 1st, 2007, 09:40 PM
somebody please take that website down

pacman2440
June 1st, 2007, 09:59 PM
GAH! I'm going to get in so much trouble at work for playing this, and being on this board to much!! Fun game though, very addicting.

Engnome
June 1st, 2007, 10:54 PM
I haven't played this version but the original version in Warcraft 3 was great if you had a lot of time to spare.

Very interesting:
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000872.html

argie
June 1st, 2007, 11:18 PM
Wow, I love this game. So much fun.

speedemonV12
June 1st, 2007, 11:23 PM
this game is amazing.. im addicted...

init1
June 2nd, 2007, 01:09 AM
Can't stop playing. Very adictive

tcpip4lyfe
June 2nd, 2007, 02:27 AM
I can't stop.......help me!

Adamant1988
June 2nd, 2007, 02:58 AM
I'm moving up to the next level now./.

I officially call this meeting of DTD-anonymous to order

Billy_McBong
June 2nd, 2007, 03:54 AM
i think im gonna become addicted to this game

reacocard
June 2nd, 2007, 04:27 AM
I'm moving up to the next level now./.

I officially call this meeting of DTD-anonymous to order

All present and accounted for. Would the first speaker please take the stand?

(This is incredibly addicting, I haven't beaten Easy mode yet, but I've gotten to the 40s EDIT: beat easy!)

Nikron
June 2nd, 2007, 04:36 AM
Have to say, after playing Warcraft's myriad Tower War map, easy was ridiculously easy, beat it on the first try. Fun though, reminded me of old times =P

Billy_McBong
June 2nd, 2007, 04:44 AM
beat easy moving on to medium

Adamant1988
June 2nd, 2007, 05:32 AM
I got through medium on my first try, now I'm just refining my technique. My second try at medium, thanks for the tips.

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/2562/dd3nr7.th.png (http://img66.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dd3nr7.png)

TheRingmaster
June 2nd, 2007, 06:27 AM
That game reminds me a lot of this game (http://mofunzone.com/online_games/flash_element_td.shtml). It is a very addictive game too. The sound effects are really good.

WinterWeaver
June 2nd, 2007, 07:24 AM
omg... my life is gone ... >.<

BuffaloX
June 2nd, 2007, 08:36 AM
Level 50 on easy,
Which is as it says -easy-, when you figure out just one little trick.

awakatanka
June 2nd, 2007, 08:55 AM
I hate you for posting this link, now bugs are walking over my screen and i must kill them. My wife wants me to leave my pc and do other things but i can't these bugs keep coming. She warns me see will leave me if i keep doing that. But i can't they keep coming. My son hates me i don't play with him anymore, my family hates me because i never visit them anymore. The all call me a game junk, but i'm not i just want those little bugs of my screen but the keep coming and i hate they beat me, i'm the boss not those bugs i will kill them all.

GSF1200S
June 2nd, 2007, 11:39 AM
I think the secret of this game is pockets that use ALL the weapons... If youve got a freeze cannon slowing them, while a bash cannon has more shots to stun them, with the fast cannons blasting them, they cant do crap... Of course, thats just on Easy right now...

You suck man- i HAD a life!

Heres my win on 50 showing the maze+pocket combo..

Adamant1988
June 2nd, 2007, 02:26 PM
I think the secret of this game is pockets that use ALL the weapons... If youve got a freeze cannon slowing them, while a bash cannon has more shots to stun them, with the fast cannons blasting them, they cant do crap... Of course, thats just on Easy right now...

Nice, I'm impressed. :D

Gargamella
June 2nd, 2007, 03:41 PM
this game is EVIL!!!! ;D i love it

happy-and-lost
June 2nd, 2007, 06:03 PM
Thanks. I'm sitting my AS levels on Monday. CURSES!

Adamant1988
June 2nd, 2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks. I'm sitting my AS levels on Monday. CURSES!

Sorry :(. For what it's worth.. I did warn you (in a reverse psychology kind of way).

BuffaloX
June 2nd, 2007, 06:29 PM

I can't believe it can be done that simple. :lol
I used a tactic of making two paths and closing one, when they got too close to exit, which made them backtrack through my entire labyrinth, going for the other exit. I can even kill the invulnerable ones, on highest levels of easy. I just send them back and forth enough times, and they will eventually die.

Adamant1988
June 2nd, 2007, 06:39 PM
I can't believe it can be done that simple. :lol
I used a tactic of making two paths and closing one, when they got too close to exit, which made them backtrack through my entire labyrinth, going for the other exit. I can even kill the invulnerable ones, on highest levels of easy. I just send them back and forth enough times, and they will eventually die.

Oh, yeah, I did that.

Anywho, I'm trying to do Hard level now but the flying ones get me every time.

BuffaloX
June 2nd, 2007, 07:07 PM

Yup as I suspected, tried your setup, and got to lvl 31.
Ice canons seem to have little effect here, Bash tower doesn't seem very effective either.
I was actually surprised I got past lvl 30, but thats because of having 20 lives from the beginning.

There must be some sort of bug, making the game behave differently on different setups.
I thought it was a bit weird I had to use such a demanding tactic on easy level.

Btw. Your method very much resemble my own second attempt (which failed), Except I had to extend the labyrinth all the way through, just to get to level 40, getting beyond 42 or 44, seemed impossible, thus I changed my tactics so I could send the monsters back into the labyrinth by closing and opening two alternate exits.

BuffaloX
June 2nd, 2007, 07:10 PM
Oh, yeah, I did that.

Anywho, I'm trying to do Hard level now but the flying ones get me every time.

You also did the back and forth thing?
Or "GSF1200S" thing?

Anthem
June 2nd, 2007, 08:21 PM
Hey guys, it's not difficult. Really. At least not on Easy or Intermediate.

I've already posted an easy map that will allow you to beat Intermediate without losing any lives.

It's "Hard" and "The 100" that are hard to beat.

BuffaloX
June 2nd, 2007, 09:10 PM
Hey guys, it's not difficult. Really. At least not on Easy or Intermediate.

I've already posted an easy map that will allow you to beat Intermediate without losing any lives.

It's "Hard" and "The 100" that are hard to beat.

As I mentioned, there must be a bug in this game.
My very first map on medium, looked almost exactly the same, only I used different canons,

Just to make sure, I build an exact copy of your map, it was finished very early in the game, because it has almost only cheap canons. except the two air-defense very few quick shooters.
The first monster escapes at level 26, almost all planes escape a little later mostly unhamed, and at lvl 34 a group of blue monsters gets through, also mostly unharmed.

I promise you, on my system, any configuration of a single threaded labyrinth doesn't stand a chance of finishing the game, not even on easy.
I'm sure your solution works great on your system, but mine is different.

sloggerkhan
June 2nd, 2007, 09:29 PM
This is exactly a tower defence like custom War3 mapss...

Adamant1988
June 3rd, 2007, 02:36 AM
As I mentioned, there must be a bug in this game.
My very first map on medium, looked almost exactly the same, only I used different canons,

Just to make sure, I build an exact copy of your map, it was finished very early in the game, because it has almost only cheap canons. except the two air-defense very few quick shooters.
The first monster escapes at level 26, almost all planes escape a little later mostly unhamed, and at lvl 34 a group of blue monsters gets through, also mostly unharmed.

I promise you, on my system, any configuration of a single threaded labyrinth doesn't stand a chance of finishing the game, not even on easy.
I'm sure your solution works great on your system, but mine is different.

It's about upgrades, and Anthem is right, easy and medium are a joke. I've stepped into Hard and I can get into the 40s before I lose, it's those flying ones that get me every time, it seems like I can't build enough anti-air towers to combat them.

Celegorm
June 4th, 2007, 02:41 AM
I just beat hard for the first time. Lovely game.

init1
June 4th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Desktop TD is a fun game!

If you want an even more addicting tower game play Onslaught.

http://ec2-1.playr.co.uk/onslaught/

I have been playing it all week. The game even has its own forum :)
Best score I can get so far is around 320,000,000 on level 192.
Onslaught is fun, but too easy. It is playing in the background and does not need my input. I am on 60 so far.

Polygon
June 4th, 2007, 04:59 AM
there is also a similiar game, called Element TD

http://novelconcepts.co.uk/FlashElementTD/

but this is pretty fun as well

BuffaloX
June 4th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Try this.

Image shows level 50, all lives remaining. Almost no upgrades, and just two airdefenses.
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=34060&d=1180729445

I got through medium on my first try, now I'm just refining my technique. My second try at medium, thanks for the tips.

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/2562/dd3nr7.th.png (http://img66.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dd3nr7.png)

This image shows level 50, 3 lives lost, only light upgrades, this makes it to level 38-42 on my system if I stop planes with air defense towers. (middle of map not visible.

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=34121&d=1180780754

Nice setup but not enough to reach higher levels on my system.

How far do you get using the Anthem map?
I only get to lvl 34 on easy.

I bet the results will be different on different systems, or maybe different flash versions.
Which makes the highs-core completely useless

Adamant1988
June 4th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Image shows level 50, all lives remaining. Almost no upgrades, and just two airdefenses.
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=34060&d=1180729445

This image shows level 50, 3 lives lost, only light upgrades, this makes it to level 38-42 on my system if I stop planes with air defense towers. (middle of map not visible.

Nice setup but not enough to reach higher levels on my system.

How far do you get using the Anthem map?
I only get to lvl 34 on easy.

I bet the results will be different on different systems, or maybe different flash versions.
Which makes the highs-core completely useless

Pretty interesting I'll take that to heart.

ghandi69_
June 4th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Love this game.

Polygon
June 5th, 2007, 01:09 AM
at the end of the game if you get a decent score it asks you to submit your score, then after that it takes you to a image of your base setup. Just take a SS of that :D

BuffaloX
June 5th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Uuuups
Seems I made a mistake about upgrades.
Sorry guys, please disregard my previous posts. :oops:

Adamant1988
June 5th, 2007, 04:02 AM
Uuuups
Seems I made a mistake about upgrades.
Sorry guys, please disregard my previous posts. :oops:

Happens, lol.

ghandi69_
June 5th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Yeah... I think if you focus on upgrades your better off... If you get more than 10 of those "sniper towers" your sitting pretty good.

BuffaloX
June 11th, 2007, 07:15 PM

I tried the pocket thing, hard to make that work IMO.

But I finally got normal mode without loosing a single life.
I measured that with diagonal lines I achieve exactly 24% longer path through the entire map.
compared to simple horizontal lines.

Yeah I wasted a bit of time on this. :rolleyes: