PDA

View Full Version : New laptop: Dapper Vs Feisty

FRuMMaGe
June 1st, 2007, 12:35 PM
I've ordered a new laptop which will most likely work perfectly with Ubuntu. I have already had Dapper on my desktop for a few months now and I love it! However, i'm considering upgrading to Feisty when it comes to the new laptop. What are the advantages/disadvantages Feisty has over Dapper? I have heard that Feisty is a bit sketchy with wireless.

Comments?

Mazza558
June 1st, 2007, 01:02 PM
I've ordered a new laptop which will most likely work perfectly with Ubuntu. I have already had Dapper on my desktop for a few months now and I love it! However, i'm considering upgrading to Feisty when it comes to the new laptop. What are the advantages/disadvantages Feisty has over Dapper? I have heard that Feisty is a bit sketchy with wireless.

Comments?

Desktop Effects, it's slightly faster, and the wireless is actually better under Feisty (network manager)

Sepp1
June 1st, 2007, 03:22 PM
I have tried 6.06, 6.10 and 7.04

Seen in retrospect i should have kept Dapper, and only upgraded to the next LTS (Gutsy).
There is nothing that i canīt live without in edgy and Feisty.

However, I only use my Ubuntu laptop for writing, email and surfing.

Sepp1

FRuMMaGe
June 3rd, 2007, 06:37 PM
Desktop Effects, it's slightly faster, and the wireless is actually better under Feisty (network manager)

And how steep is the learning curve? Is it much different?

starcraft.man
June 3rd, 2007, 06:50 PM
And how steep is the learning curve? Is it much different?

I dunno, I don't think its that much different, you'll probably feel right at home... I vote Feisty. There aren't really any problems with it, none that we haven't got fixes/solutions for. I'd say go for it :). Oh and when it comes to effects, I go with Beryl. Though, I wonder if its mute recommending that... they merging again huh? Well, I still say Beryl for now, and whatever they become later.

The Noble
June 3rd, 2007, 08:28 PM
Feisty is quite a bit faster in both boot time and file access (for me). It's been incredibly stable, so there are no worries there. On the wireless front, I don't understand why network manager is preferred; it's never worked well for me at least. I just installed wicd over it and it's smooth as silk now. I say upgrade.

FuturePilot
June 3rd, 2007, 08:44 PM
Feisty is a lot faster, it has the latest version of programs. It also has some nice extra packages that aren't available for Dapper like Exaile (I love that music player:D) and the Murrine gtk engine.
However all that cutting edge software comes at a price. Bugs. Feisty has some really annoying bugs in it still. Not to mention when I had it on my laptop all it did was freeze up.
Good old Dapper has been rock solid stable for me. That's why I went back to it on the laptop.

v8YKxgHe
June 3rd, 2007, 09:35 PM
I have tried 6.06, 6.10 and 7.04

Seen in retrospect i should have kept Dapper, and only upgraded to the next LTS (Gutsy).
There is nothing that i canīt live without in edgy and Feisty.

However, I only use my Ubuntu laptop for writing, email and surfing.

Sepp1

Gutsy is not the next LTS release, Gutsy+1 or Gutsy+2 I think it is, is the next LTS release

FRuMMaGe
June 3rd, 2007, 11:42 PM
Thanks for all the contributions guys!

I have decided that I will stay with Dapper until Feisty is as stable as it.