PDA

View Full Version : What OS does Bill Gates runs on his personal computer do you think?

mthakur2006
May 31st, 2007, 09:18 PM
That's an interesting one. Let's share our views. :D

hessiess
May 31st, 2007, 09:20 PM
i doubt he actualy has a pc! probaly just pays people to do everything for him!

Siph0n
May 31st, 2007, 09:20 PM
I betcha he runs Windows 95!!!! :)

juxtaposed
May 31st, 2007, 09:24 PM
If someone owns a company that has a product, I can assume they use that product.

firedancer
May 31st, 2007, 09:25 PM
I think he sold his personal computer to me,

i run ubuntu studio on it now \\:D/

justin whitaker
May 31st, 2007, 09:25 PM
The Gates mansion is filled with all sorts of testbed systems, such as Surface, and the Digital paintings....I' sure he has some mongrel XP/Vista/Test system that makes retail systems look so 5 years ago.

joriad
May 31st, 2007, 09:28 PM
He's a closet Linux user, only uses Windows when others are around.

EdThaSlayer
May 31st, 2007, 09:29 PM
I bet he uses Linux as the OS of his servers.Well, thats a bad guess but I'm a Linux cultist, soooo...

FuturePilot
May 31st, 2007, 09:30 PM
I bet he runs DOS:p
Either that or Mac:lolflag:

blazercist
May 31st, 2007, 09:34 PM
I think he needs no operating system cuz he can see and manipulate the source code with his mind like in the matrix and that is the way he communicates with all sorts of digital media and devices. LOL

no he probably uses some uber sophisticated test system that will not be equivocated in the main stream for like 20 years. his PC is prolly like a 100 core BEAST with 200 GIGS of DDR4-2000Mhz RAM a 1000 TB HD and four 10 GB NVIDIA 99,000 cards in a quad SLI with 16- 60inch plasma monitors. the whole thing is prolly the size of a beeper is silent and produces zero heat and has a built in OC3 WIRELESS modem and a 72 hours battery life.

edit: o yea and the only thing he uses it for is to play pong and solitare.

bruce89
May 31st, 2007, 09:39 PM
A bit of paper and a pen, at least there is little chance of this crashing. (unless the ink has run out)

mthakur2006
May 31st, 2007, 09:46 PM
I think he needs no operating system cuz he can see and manipulate the source code with his mind like in the matrix and that is the way he communicates with all sorts of digital media and devices. LOL

no he probably uses some uber sophisticated test system that will not be equivocated in the main stream for like 20 years. his PC is prolly like a 100 core BEAST with 200 GIGS of DDR4-2000Mhz RAM a 1000 TB HD and four 10 GB NVIDIA 99,000 cards in a quad SLI with 16- 60inch plasma monitors. the whole thing is prolly the size of a beeper is silent and produces zero heat and has a built in OC3 WIRELESS modem and a 72 hours battery life.

lol :D

Ebuntor
May 31st, 2007, 09:54 PM
The Gates mansion is filled with all sorts of testbed systems, such as Surface, and the Digital paintings....I' sure he has some mongrel XP/Vista/Test system that makes retail systems look so 5 years ago.

Yeah I read an article about that a few years back. If I remember correctly his mansion is divided in several zones and each is customized to the user's preferences. Once a user moves to another room the computer automatically changes the room to the user's settings (switching on computers changing lighting etc).
Seems like a total nightmare, a computer that is constantly tracking all my movements.

At the time the article was written I think he was using a hybrid beta XP version. Must be a Vista or Vista +1 version by now.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, it's been quite some time since I read that article.

smoker
May 31st, 2007, 10:21 PM
hme, i heard a rumour that he was patenting his fav BSOD errors and going into the designer clothing business:D

arsenic23
May 31st, 2007, 10:22 PM
If you were a giant PC nerd with that kind of money would you only have one OS? I bet most of his stuff is custom compiled M$ crap, but you can bet he has at least one Mac and prolly a Unix box or some kind. If he doesn't he isn't the computer obsessed guy everyone makes him out to be.

KaroSHiv0n
May 31st, 2007, 10:28 PM

And sometimes type in notepad.

(i think he probably uses xp, he would be way more uptight if he used vista , i kno wi always am after using it)

Ebuntor
May 31st, 2007, 10:39 PM
I was a little surprised it but there's actually a Wiki page about his home (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Gates%27_house). :D
I was right about the computer tracking the residents and the automatic changing to the user's preferences depending on which room he is in.

Electronics are used abundantly: visitors are surveyed upon entrance and are given a microchip (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microchip) that sends signals throughout the house to adjust temperature and other conditions according to preset user preferences.

I assume everyone who makes any anti-Microsoft or pro-Linux/Apple comments will get a electrical shock through their microchip. :p

kamaboko
May 31st, 2007, 10:54 PM
Again...another mindless post. I'll follow with an equally mindless question.

Q: "What kind of shoes does Bill Gates wear?"

Potentially mindless answers:

"I bet they say Linux on the side"
"They were probably designed on a Linux computer"
"He probably has slippers with the Linux penguin on them"

psmar
May 31st, 2007, 10:58 PM
commoder 64 he's old school:D

aysiu
May 31st, 2007, 10:59 PM
I doubt he has one personal computer. He probably has a whole bunch. Various versions of Windows, a Macbook, and a computer with some Linux distro on it.

Ebuntor
May 31st, 2007, 11:02 PM
"They were probably designed on a Linux computer"

That reminds me: I do remember a rumor that one of Gates' homes was partially designed on a Mac. :) Not sure if it's true though.

icechen1
May 31st, 2007, 11:19 PM
The world's first computer that he bought for his computer collection!

Prisma
May 31st, 2007, 11:25 PM
I bet he runs Linux at least in one of his machines trying to figure it out how to face the increasing open source competition.

init1
May 31st, 2007, 11:28 PM
He probably uses Vista because he can afford a ridiculously expensive computer that is powerful enough to run. I, however, cannot.

Daveski
May 31st, 2007, 11:28 PM
I doubt he has one personal computer. He probably has a whole bunch. Various versions of Windows, a Macbook, and a computer with some Linux distro on it.

You can be sure that he runs the competition - anyone in his position (well, his old position) would NEED to keep an eye on what is going on with 'competitive' products. Some would argue this is self-evident in some of the innovations which have slid their way into Windows and other MS products.

Ballmer gives the impression that he is a very blinkered man and has staff to keep an eye on the competition. At least I could respect Gates for the nerd he is, but Ballmer just makes my toes curl. Every stockholder should be required to watch the 'I love this Company' video clip (among a great many others).

LightB
May 31st, 2007, 11:54 PM
What do you think he uses? :)

http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/6221/ubuntugatespj3.jpg

gruvsyco
May 31st, 2007, 11:57 PM
anyone in his position (well, his old position) would NEED to keep an eye on what is going on with 'competitive' products.

If you watch the D5 videos, you can see that at his core, Bill Gates is still a computer geek. I think he probably has a Mac, a Windows PC and a Linux PC but I don't think it's to keep an eye on competition (while that could be a side benefit)... I think he just really enjoys the technology.

Feba
May 31st, 2007, 11:57 PM
Most likely, his 'main' computer (by which, I mean the image he has all his data and settings on, most likely his main computer is a laptop, multiple desktops at home, a home server, and similar things at work) is a highly customized version of Vista, with new features MS hasn't released yet in beta testing, etc.

I'd be amazed though if he (and microsoft in general) didn't have a lot of Macs, linux, BSD, solaris, etc. They probably draw on them for ideas, to see what works and what doesn't, in the same way a lot of linux stuff is "Hey, I saw this in Windows and liked it, let's make it for us, but better!". Hell, I'd gamble to say that Gates is more familiar with using Linux than most of the people in this forum.

deadguy87
June 1st, 2007, 12:03 AM
pretty sure he's not a closet linmo but pretty sure he's not dumb enough to use vista

ajeffreys
June 1st, 2007, 12:34 AM
I don't think he uses vista, as he would also see how annoying it really was. He probably uses a customised version of windows, which he made for himself or just windows xp.

smoker
June 1st, 2007, 12:53 AM
Again...another mindless post. I'll follow with an equally mindless question.

Q: "What kind of shoes does Bill Gates wear?"

maybe a pair of these:D
http://www.engadget.com/2005/03/22/adidas-1-review/

blackspyder
June 1st, 2007, 01:15 AM
DOS 10.1 beta or something that is so advanced the averager uber-geek will never know how to use it. Probly issues commands telepathicly

%hMa@?b<C
June 1st, 2007, 01:17 AM
Probably a testing version of Vista+1

fbmx24
June 1st, 2007, 01:25 AM
I don't think he uses vista, as he would also see how annoying it really was. He probably uses a customised version of windows, which he made for himself or just windows xp.

How is vista annoying ?

samjh
June 1st, 2007, 01:34 AM
In the office: Vista

At home: XP/Vista

In the basement workshop: Cutting-edge stuff :D

Although best known as a ruthless businessman, Gates started out as a hacker and spent a lot of time being involved with coding software for his businesses and Microsoft. It's only natural that he would be interested in numerous computing developments, including Linux and other operating systems, and 'ubiquitous computing' gadgets.

haricharan
June 1st, 2007, 01:41 AM
I guess OS X :p

juxtaposed
June 1st, 2007, 01:43 AM
He should come onto these forums and tell us. That'd be nice (like that nice CEO fellow from linspire that came on here a few years back).

neoflight
June 1st, 2007, 01:53 AM
oh...he told in an interview that he plays bridge online with his friends on saturday mornings.... he might then need....

20000 gb ram ...etc..

Quillz
June 1st, 2007, 02:15 AM
I bet he uses Linux as the OS of his servers.Well, thats a bad guess but I'm a Linux cultist, soooo...
Actually, I wouldn't doubt for a second that any number of Microsoft servers have Linux as the server OS. After all, how can you improve your own product if you don't know what's in your competitors'? I'm sure Apple had to have used a Windows PC at some point to see how to improve upon OS X, and I wouldn't doubt that some key Linux kernel developers have used other OS to improve the kernel.

ajeffreys
June 1st, 2007, 02:16 AM
How is vista annoying ?

Because everytime I wanted to do something it asked for permission and opening a program such as word toll atleast 10 seconds.

Quillz
June 1st, 2007, 02:17 AM
How is vista annoying ?
It's not, but people love to spread FUD about things they've never even used or tried. Saying Vista sucks is trendy at the moment, just like how not so long before, people who never used Linux still wrote it off as impossible to use, etc.

Nano Geek
June 1st, 2007, 02:21 AM
I'll take a wild guess here.

Storage:

One huge home server that stores all of his movies, pictures, music, ect.

Several portable storage drives

Computers:

One computer with Vista Ultimate for every family member

A couple of laptops

At least one Mac and at least one Linux computer.

Probably a computer with the latest test version of Windows

A Windows Media Center for every TV in the house

Video Games

Probably an Xbox 360

zero244
June 1st, 2007, 02:24 AM
I also think he might be a closet Linux user, or maybe he is using Dos 1x since he actually wrote some code for Dos.

screaminj3sus
June 1st, 2007, 02:32 AM
He runs Windows 2000

WebScud
June 1st, 2007, 02:55 AM
I'm pretty positive his primary machine is a tablet and I'd imagine he is running Vista.

Cyvros
June 1st, 2007, 03:13 AM
It's not, but people love to spread FUD about things they've never even used or tried. Saying Vista sucks is trendy at the moment, just like how not so long before, people who never used Linux still wrote it off as impossible to use, etc.

To be honest and off-topic, Vista's actually surprisingly nice after all the crap going around in reviews. No major problems yet that weren't too easily solved (well, apart from two reinstalls...).

I'd have to agree with the consensus that he has several testing PCs and probably at least a Mac - this man can afford just about anything. He probably even tests OLPCs for fun. :D

TrailerTrash
June 1st, 2007, 04:38 AM
Bill G. is still using Windows ME.

Spr0k3t
June 1st, 2007, 06:11 AM
The truth behind Bill, he is a geek to the bone. He has his toys just like all other geeks. The difference though, how he plays with those toys. In most areas, you could almost say he has a severe case of ADHD until you work with his business sense, at which point you will realize he is extremely cutthroat and will hustle anyone out of their time and money faster than you can think. He is a shark in this game of pool we play, but like all pool sharks a mistake will one day be made.

I've worked with his type before (executives of the like). The first thing you need to do is make human and pull him off his pedestal. Once you've put him in his place on the food chain, he comes back for more with a vengeance, so be ready.

But I digress... this is about Bill's home. I'd be willing to bet he has a shrine set up for MonkeyBoy somewhere in his house.

dnzz
June 2nd, 2007, 11:21 PM
I think he uses his own OS or a version of Vista with no bugs no security issues :lolflag:

sabrewolf2006
June 2nd, 2007, 11:24 PM
I think he uses his own OS or a version of Vista with no bugs no security issues :lolflag:

lol yes, we wouldn't want his house to have any stability/security issues now would we :D

RAV TUX
June 3rd, 2007, 12:17 AM
That's an interesting one. Let's share our views. :D

Fried Chicken Linux (http://linuxlab.dk/fcl/), without a doubt.

starcraft.man
June 3rd, 2007, 12:42 AM
Well honestly, I don't really care... he can run whatever he likes.

I'm pretty sure he's running Vista... wouldn't make much sense him running anything else... I think I even remember reading an article about how at home he's used the parental controls to limit his kids time on the machine.

Anyway, I got my linux box... why should it bother me?

steveneddy
June 3rd, 2007, 01:19 AM
....I' sure he has some mongrel XP/Vista/Test system that makes retail systems look so 5 years ago.

Agree - who want to have billions at his disposal and have a generic Windows PC - it's a hot rodded version of XP/Vista/whatever is next for windows - that's my guess, anyway.

-SE

Boomy
June 3rd, 2007, 02:15 AM
He's a luddite that doesn't use computers. :D

sabrewolf2006
June 21st, 2007, 10:17 PM
I wonder if the DRM is still active in his version Vista?

Heck, supposedly when you go to his house you get a badge so that the system can track where you are and let music and video follow you?

That's gonna take a pretty mad bunch of soundcards and possibly other systems too (all off one box - whoa! That's something to spend billions on :D )

Do his visitors get to hear his music collection if they separate from the group? lol heh

Ultra Magnus
June 21st, 2007, 10:30 PM
Well Microsoft.com kept going down so they got an external company to host it - can't remember the name but they used Linux! Bill Gates almost certainly runs Ubuntu on his personal computer!

vambo
June 21st, 2007, 11:43 PM
He uses an etch-a-sketch :D

"Best goddam laptop I ever had!!:p

OrbJinzo
June 21st, 2007, 11:52 PM
He prolly runs a computer with vista and prolly he had it 100% customized to his liking.

BetaguyGZT
June 23rd, 2007, 01:38 PM
I heard tell a couple of years ago that he used custom XP MCE with a triple-monitor setup for his office, and (indeed) the Home stuff that made his mansion almost fully automated, along with some different computers that had just about every OS installed. And I also heard that he *is* a fan of Linux, and *does* tinker around with it from time to time.

Probably now he's using a custom Vista, and probably is playing around with Singularity (http://research.microsoft.com/os/singularity/).

suterb42
June 24th, 2007, 04:26 AM
Two words:

Microsoft Bob.

:p

Lupgaru
June 14th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Not quite sure, could be anything.Check out this site
http://www.bbspot.com/News/2001/06/gates.html

zmjjmz
June 14th, 2008, 03:06 AM
I'm going to have to agree with what Aysiu said.

gameryoshi600
June 14th, 2008, 03:35 AM
a mac because he knows vista is terrible.

Bubba64
June 14th, 2008, 03:44 AM
I was a little surprised it but there's actually a Wiki page about his home (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Gates%27_house). :D
I was right about the computer tracking the residents and the automatic changing to the user's preferences depending on which room he is in.

I assume everyone who makes any anti-Microsoft or pro-Linux/Apple comments will get a electrical shock through their microchip. :p

From the wiki.
Construction

* The number of building permits needed completely overwhelmed the Medina city clerk's office, necessitating the purchase of a computer-based document management system. Ironically, the city used a variation of Linux to meet this demand.

shadylookin
June 14th, 2008, 03:51 AM
my guess is that he mainly uses vista or a alpha/beta(whatever they're in) of windows 7.

bufsabre666
June 14th, 2008, 04:03 AM
id bet windows xp or mac

or maybe he uses linux and i am secretly him, take note of all the times i defend him on various linux forums

DeadSuperHero
June 14th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Fools, he's using GNU HURD, mixed with his own unlicensed technology!

Actually, judging from his intelligence, he could be...

HermanAB
June 14th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Billy Bob will use Vista of course. When his computer screws up, he'll just get a new one, so I doubt his PCs and laptops are older than about 3 months.

vishzilla
June 14th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Mac and Linux dual boot for sure

keiichidono
June 14th, 2008, 07:45 AM
If he's the geek he is displayed as, then he's gonna have just about every OS in his house. Whether it be Linux or Windows or even OS X.

lifve
June 14th, 2008, 08:14 AM
ubuntu, because he thinks windows is expensive.
lol. (laughing out loud)

Ub1476
June 14th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Probably Vista. A friend of mine father was a Microsoft boss and he ran Vista as soon as it hit beta stage.

Silpheed2K
June 14th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Not quite sure, could be anything.Check out this site
http://www.bbspot.com/News/2001/06/gates.html

that site is fake and a joke please read that site a bit more in detail..

Onto the subject.. I believe gates would use Vista or NT for his OS.
That or a test build/custom build he modifies and tweaks himself.

allforcarrie
June 14th, 2008, 05:59 PM
probly windows 7

SunnyRabbiera
June 14th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I think he uses OSX, when Microsoft initially came up with vista I can immagine Bill running around with a ibook shouting "alright folks, lets see how much we can rip off on this"

Robux the great
June 14th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I bet he has a shiny new Macbook pro running OS 10

Regards

Rob

linux phreak
June 14th, 2008, 06:55 PM
It might be Xp.

mr.propre
June 14th, 2008, 07:29 PM
He once tolled it in an interview. I think it was wit engadget but cant be sure. He told he ran Vista and his screensaver was the one with the picture of his and hos family. (would Balmer counts as family?)

GOROSSI
June 15th, 2008, 12:50 AM
He once tolled it in an interview. I think it was wit engadget but cant be sure. He told he ran Vista and his screensaver was the one with the picture of his and hos family. (would Balmer counts as family?)

nah it's probably Sky OS http://skyos.org/

Sound's like Gates thinking, charging people to be lab rats

or better yet Goobuntu :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goobuntu

bufsabre666
June 15th, 2008, 01:32 AM
maybe hes the head programmer for reactOS and leads a double life

kool_kat_os
June 15th, 2008, 03:45 AM
maybe hes one of us posting in this forum.

fktt
June 15th, 2008, 06:40 AM
other > the windows server '08 thingy. :p

toster13
June 15th, 2008, 07:24 AM
He uses either Windows Bill Gates Edition or Mac :)))))))))

schmidtbag
June 16th, 2008, 08:44 PM
i'm sure gates himself realizes how much vista sucks, so i say he uses xp mce sp2. but really, i don't think he sticks with 1 computer. he probably has 1 computer with some quad core cpu and 4gb of ram for each program. so 1 computer for notepad, another for paint, another for typing, and so on. but they all run xp and they're all in a network

Le-Froid
June 16th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Probably has 5-6 computers lined up, 1 with XP, 1 with Vista, 1 with Mac OS X, 1 with a Linux distro, and 1 or 2 with a highly modified version of windows XP or Vista or something

Murrquan
June 16th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Oh, come now. We all know Mr. Gates uses an iMac. ^.^

Seriously, though, it's not too far-fetched. Didn't Kevin Carmony, former CEO of Linspire, come out and say that he'd switched to Ubuntu now that he's quit? And Bill Gates is leaving Microsoft soon ...

tibil
June 16th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Whatever it is, I'm sure it runs off the blood of endangered animals and the tears of orphans. (kidding!)

cardinals_fan
June 16th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Windows 2000.

Daggo
June 17th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Microchip implants in the lower part of his cerebellum (brain) with the display integrated into his contact lenses triple booting the Predator infrared display, the terminator movement/data sensors display, and windows vista evil genius edition (based on Unix).
He only carries around a laptop to try to blend in with the crowd (probably needs a mac to do this).

Shadow12313
January 17th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I think he has a whole museum of every OS he has ever made and for his personal computer he probably uses Vista.

mamamia88
January 17th, 2009, 05:18 PM
he probably uses everything to keep an eye on the competition

Grant A.
January 17th, 2009, 05:19 PM
He owns a MacBook... it's been verified before.

albinootje
January 17th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I bet he uses Apple or MS-DOS.
And the electronic gadgets in his house (warming swimming pool, opening garage door) are all Linux embedded systems. :)

juanmoreno92
January 17th, 2009, 11:37 PM
He probably has OSX installed ilegally on non-Apple hardware running his home.

I wonder if he has a copy of J.A.R.V.I.S for his house too......

Then I could have something to curse at and return the call :D

Shadow12313
February 1st, 2009, 05:40 AM
He probably uses the Microsoft surface computer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttgx9ygMXz8

Twitch6000
February 1st, 2009, 06:00 AM
I bet he has a computer with 6 oses on it.

Them being windows xp,a linux distro of his choosen(my guess opensuse),macosx,freebsd,opensolaris,and last but not least amiga4.

ubun2geek
October 6th, 2011, 04:07 AM
I think he hosts his site on linux, does his to day to day life with ubuntu and uses the Win 2-7 transformation pack!
:lol:

KiwiNZ
October 6th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Bill has turned his PC off

Ctrl- Alt- del