PDA

View Full Version : Wubi Users: Status

minhmeoke
May 31st, 2007, 08:55 PM
I was wondering how long it took to install Wubi for an average user, so I decided to start a poll.
Here are the options I have thought of so far, feel free to suggest more.
1) Installed Wubi/Lubi, encountered no problems. (I spent < 1 hour trying to install it)
2) Installed Wubi/Lubi, encountered minor problems. (I spent <= 5 hours trying to install it)
3) Installed Wubi/Lubi, encountered major problems. (I spent > 5 hours trying to install it)
4) Could not install Wubi/Lubi.
Feel free to suggest more options, and please vote only if you have attempted to install Wubi/Lubi.

ago
May 31st, 2007, 11:03 PM
That would be useful, please specify the wubi version used (ideally test3+) and if possible the problem encountered.

minhmeoke
June 1st, 2007, 06:52 AM
I used Lubi; no version number was listed. The installation went fine until I had to reboot; then on the first reboot I encountered minor issues with an Xserver crash (black screen with lines) when the splash screen was supposed to appear. It took me some time to figure out that this was due to my laptop's widescreen display; but it seem like this is a general Ubuntu issue. I solved the problem by changing the entries in the xorg.conf file, as described in this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=457109

Also, the window borders are missing every time I boot in to Ubuntu; I have to go into terminal and type:

metacity & in a terminal to get them back.

Other than that, everything is working fine. Thanks to the developers for creating this great way to try Ubuntu!

P.S: Could one of the moderators change the title of this thread to "How Difficult Was Your Wubi Installation?" to more accurately reflect the poll question? (I cannot change the thread's title, only an individual post's title).

Vadi
June 1st, 2007, 03:19 PM
Can't get mine working yet, but I hope I will soon!

Epilonsama
June 1st, 2007, 05:12 PM
Test 2 did not worked, but Test 3 work flawlessly.

Scotty1951
June 1st, 2007, 06:05 PM
Managed to install using Wubi (test 3) (time depends on whether you count leaving to download and install) after a few attempts HOWEVER HELP I am now asked for user name and password which i have not set. What do I do .
relative newbie appreciate any help

Vadi
June 1st, 2007, 07:10 PM
Try ubuntu as the user name and password, I think that is the default.

timczer
June 2nd, 2007, 10:42 PM
I said less than an hour, but that is probably not true. I started the install the night before, got up and finished it in the morning. The only issue I had was not getting the windows/ubuntu menu on restart. Changing the timeout=30 worked for me, and I have no issues since.

Depressed Man
June 3rd, 2007, 12:03 AM
Took me less then an hour to install it (after I found the wubi version that worked with Vista) and fixing the grub17 error. Though not everything I want to do is fully functional.

orangeLemon
June 3rd, 2007, 05:04 PM
At first I got test 2, locked up on 33% Then I got Test 3 and it worked perfectly. Guess it's my fault for downloading a previous test version. Anyway I don't really have any errors, the only problem is when I boot Ubuntu it comes up with an "unrecognized partition on drive 80" (or something like that, I'll probably edit with the specific message later, although most of it is just repeating) It's not really causing any defects, it just hinders the boot time a little. Other than that it's working fine.

Edit
"Unrecognized partition for drive 80" and then it continues to say something about fixing it with a boot disk.

JoshBenner
June 4th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Installed fine using test 2.
Very easy to use installer.
Is there a way to increase the virtual partition used by ubuntu?
Thanks