PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk love (Or: Linux is driving me nuts)

use a name
May 31st, 2007, 08:37 PM
A few months ago I could really admire MS for the OS they built (XP). It was simply good enough. I've been using linux for a few years, but dual-booted it with XP and only used it when I needed it. The only thing I had against MS was that they require you to pay a whole lot of money to use their development tools for business. As if they would even exist if there was not such a huge application pool for their OS!

But then Ubuntu came along...

My admiration for linux has since far exceeded the admiration I had for MS. I'm affraid I can't take rational decisions anymore. I'll be buying DELLs and PDAs/phones that will run Linux. I'll probably even pay more for them if that's how the prices are. It's driving me nuts! Could it be love?

How are things with you? Is it love? Is it a coldhearted marriage for the big fortune? Are you stuck with Windows?

Iarwain ben-adar
May 31st, 2007, 09:09 PM
Hmm,
i'm more of an economist:
If it works with Linux, but is cheaper to buy with a Windows version on it, i'll buy the cheapest.
I like Linux, i like open-source. The problem is i don't have that much money to toss around :D

EDIT: i'd buy a Windows thing to save money (and i just put Linux on it)

Iarwain

dj1120
May 31st, 2007, 09:16 PM
I not sure it's love - Yet!! But I am becoming a Linux fanatic and trying to convert others ( I am working on one of my coworkers and my mom right now) I even carry the the Feisty and Sabayon Live Cd's with me and boot them up for people who show interest . (odd yes but that wont stop me)

B0rsuk
May 31st, 2007, 09:18 PM
Looks like you're not ready to use Linux. Sorry to hear that.

justin whitaker
May 31st, 2007, 09:22 PM
I have money, or at least, enough to purchase something if I want it. Open source appeals to both my heart, and my cold calculating mind.

Heart:

Cute mascot. Penguins, or Windows?
Beryl and Compiz are beautiful. So is Fluxbox.
Anything I desire is an apt-get/emerge away.
Plenty of knowledgeable people around to help.

Mind:

Secure. Noone is executing code unless I allow it. Or I do something stupid.
Uses less resources on my systems than competing OSes.
Flexible. Runs on toasters to mainframes. I'm sure it can be made to run on my hardware.
Transparent. If I want to see the code, it is there for the taking.
Zero cost, except for my time, which I enjoy spending on it.

Still want an Xbox360 though. ;)

EdThaSlayer
May 31st, 2007, 09:31 PM
I agree with you "use a name", Linux has become more than an operating system,it has become an idea itself. I'm planning to buy a golden tux statue so I can pray and burn incense for it. I have become a cultist, well, I'm damn proud of it too, finally, I have gotten rid of my atheist religious status! The great thing about our cult is that it doesn't cost a lot like scienctology, in fact, it costs nothing! :D

DC@DR
May 31st, 2007, 09:36 PM
I'm seriously planning to earn my livings by utilizing Linux's power in development fields, since I'm a Java, C/C++ developer. And I'm a happy Linux user now, since I've wiped my Windows partition away, both at home and at work, completely 2 weeks ago. Cheers :-)

Ireclan
May 31st, 2007, 10:31 PM
I have a dual mindset about Linux. On one hand, I hope it demolishes MS and Apple. On the other, I seriously worry about its future when such a simple act as printing a graphic doesn't work (and it's a common image format).

Bachstelze
May 31st, 2007, 10:38 PM
Blahblah Linux, blah Windows, blahblahblah OSX...

Huh ? Ever heard of *BSD here ?

Dylnuge
May 31st, 2007, 10:41 PM
Still want an Xbox360 though. ;)

:). I have a 360 and like it. Gaming consoles are a must for me, since I gave up Windows.

Though, the 360 scratched one of my game disks. Stupid Microsoft...

mrreality13
June 1st, 2007, 03:55 AM
well lets see ,
ima 5 month old linux N00B and i will never return to the "gates of hell"
i like linux or shall i say love it for a few reasons

first if you break it its only a 20 to 30 min "do over"](*,)

also i get that warm fuzzy feeling when i ,and i do mean I get an app. to run smooth :-k

i also see great hope for my use in my business if i can learn enough about it:-$

karellen
June 1st, 2007, 06:45 AM
for me an os is just an os and a computer is just a computer (meaning tools, both of them)...I use them and I want to use them with pleasure, but that's it, no love/hate/ideology/bonds and so on. there are a lot of things out there more important

btechcs
June 1st, 2007, 07:15 AM
Somehow after 4 yrs of using linux, destros have evolved for hassle free operation. Back in the days of RH7 and FC1, it used to be a hassle setting up a productive desktop on linux. Things have changed since then. Also I use linux coz it can run on older hardware. Also linux hardware (pcs and laptops) cost a little less. Driver support is still a problem, as I can't just pick hardware (like USB tvtuner) and expect it to work with linux. Still I have seen the OS evolve, and am very hopeful.

RaiSuli
June 1st, 2007, 10:45 PM
I still dual boot Linux with Windows (triple boot actually: Ubuntu-Sabayon-Vista), but I only use Windows as a gaming platform. Everything else is done in Linux. Of course there have been problems with hardware detection and noobness on my part, but never enough to make me wanting to switch back to Windows again. Don't know, of that qualifies as a love story. :)

DJ Wings
June 1st, 2007, 11:15 PM
I'm a Linux gamer. Really, Linux is fine for gaming, and I don't just mean Tux clones (SuperTux, TuxKart, etc). ;)