PDA

View Full Version : Live 8?

zorba64
July 3rd, 2005, 02:11 AM
[Rant begins]

Ok folks, whos is in the following category.

Lives in a country that is not one of the G8 countries.
Does not have access to pay tv.
Has only on operating system on his/her PC, and it's name does not begin with "Microsoft"
Really wanted to listen/view the Live 8 concerts via the web.
Went to www.aolmusic.com or one of the other mirrors found here:
http://www.live8live.com/theconcerts/index.shtml

Tried to launch AOL radio and ended up with this informative message
"We're sorry!
Your machine does not meet the minimum system requirements in order to download AOL Radio.
System Requirements
Operating System Hardware
-Windows 98 -A Pentium-class multimedia computer with a sound chip or dedicated sound card
-Windows ME -A 28.8kbps or faster internet connection (a connection speed of greater than 56k is recommended)
-Windows 2000 -A minimum of 5 MB of free disk space
-Windows XP -An Internet connection
Browser Versions
- IE 5.5 and above
- Netscape 7.1 and above (Note: Netscape 8 in Firefox mode is not currently supported. See below.)
- AOL 7.0 and above
Attention Firefox Users:
Currently AOL Radio does not support Firefox. Please come back next month, when Firefox support will be available."

which is found here: http://radaol-prod-web-rr.streamops.aol.com/radio/radioclient/usbb/html/sorry.html

Who wasn't ticked off in the extreme when on the receiving end of the "sorry" message??

Nothing like broadcasting to the "whole world"
[rant ends]

N'Jal
July 3rd, 2005, 02:15 AM
I am in one of the G8 countries but it's still anoying, since i prolly would have watched it on my PC given the chance.

zorba64
July 3rd, 2005, 02:18 AM
The thing is, I tried to get onto AOL radio using the preferred OS and browser, and it froze the browser and the whole OS, requiring a hard reboot.

I really dont get it...sigh

Michael

bored2k
July 3rd, 2005, 02:21 AM
I saw some of it on MTVla . Wasn't really impressed.

oddabe19
July 3rd, 2005, 03:35 AM
meh...
[off topic Here's why Live8 bothers me]
Africa needs aid and all (trust me it's sad that the average American makes more a day then the average african does a year), but a bunch of liberal bands (no offense to anyone out there) shouldn't have to put on a show to show the G8 countries that.

That's why it should be up to us to do stuff about it... i.e. Salvation Army (www.salvationarmy.org) , Compassion International (Christian) (www.compassioninternational.org), World Vision (Christian) (http://www.worldvision.org) , Red Cross (www.redcross.org), et cetera. We shouldn't just sit around and do nothing.

Note: Rant starts here (this is me as a conservative).

Don't bust on Bush, Putin, Blair, etc... they actually keep 'some sanity' in the world (don't make this into an argument, but sanity means that Governments aren't collapsing and people have freedom... DO NOT BRING IRAQ INTO THIS).
Bust on Coca-cola who makes billions of dollars on $0.02 bottles of water when they could send them to Africa.
Bust on Trojan who charges $xxxx for condoms when they could send them for free.

It's not countries faults in the greedy big companies in the 'rich' countries who need to help.
I just wanted to make my point before someone says governments don't do enough, it's true we don't, but look at it from the other view.

end rant.

[back on topic]

Yeah, i know, it sucks, i tried to put a loan through for school online and they wouldn't let me do it because Firefox isn't secure (www.campusdoor.com), but they claim IE 5.0 is... phesh. Even changing the browser 'id' didn't work.

I'm just waiting for the day that ALL sites require 'IE' which will suck. emmensly.

kleeman
July 3rd, 2005, 04:41 PM
The one thing that makes me really angry is that in a lot of African countries the rate of AIDS infection is 30-40% and most of these people cannot afford drugs that would save their lives. The drug companies have argued that they need to turn a profit to develop further drugs. This has some truth but is an immoral argument. If G8 leaders think this argument is valid then on moral grounds they should pay the drug companies to provide these drugs to everyone in Africa suffering from this dreadful disease. Abusing people who are concerned about this issue by calling them "liberal" is very short sighted- lots of people want to make this situation better and just because their politics is different to yours doesn't make them idiots. By the way I am a "liberal" (shudder) and proud of it!

TravisNewman
July 3rd, 2005, 05:08 PM
oddabe: Don't bring Iraq into this? Sorry I don't understand why not. I think that it's one of many that NEED to be brought up, and asking it to NOT be brought up ... well, it just invalidates the rest of your post IMO. I'm staying out of this discussion because I'll get too riled up. I just think if it's going to exist, all sides need to be taken into account, including Iraq and any other countries with a failed/failing/barely started government.

Ride Jib
July 3rd, 2005, 06:43 PM
Everyone I know that went to Live 8 in Philadelphia didn't give two shits about the people in Africa. They just wanted to see a couple of free performances. As sad as that is, I think that is what a majority of the people there were there for.

trash
July 3rd, 2005, 10:18 PM
the Live8 website had over 5 million hits or signatures so I don't think it was a failure in any respect, also this broke world records for most viewers worldwide.

The point was not only to remind and pressure G8 leaders that they MUST do more(and it is entirely possible) but also to wake more people up to what is going on. Live8 did exactly that.

It has also been pointed out that continuing to feed organizations is a bandaid on a larger problem...
"Trade Justice - What Needs To Be Done?
It's simple really, change the rules. Now.
It's an obvious solution - challenge and change the rules so they work for poor countries. Re-write them so poor countries can develop, build their own industries, grow stronger, and one day compete as equals. Rich countries used trade rules to protect themselves as they developed - which is how they got where they are now. Now we need to use trade rules to end world poverty as we know it."

for some fact:
In the United Kingdom
www.makepovertyhistory.org

In the United States
www.one.org

In Canada
www.makepovertyhistory.ca

In France
www.2005plusdexcuses.org

In Germany
www.weltweite-aktion-gegen-armut.de

In Spain
www.pobrezacero.org

In Japan
www.hottokenai.jp

If your country is not listed above, please visit www.whiteband.org for a list of current international partner campaigns.

http://www.live8live.com

crashtest
July 3rd, 2005, 10:59 PM
[Rant begins]

Ok folks, whos is in the following category.

Lives in a country that is not one of the G8 countries.
Does not have access to pay tv.
Has only on operating system on his/her PC, and it's name does not begin with "Microsoft"
Really wanted to listen/view the Live 8 concerts via the web.
Went to www.aolmusic.com or one of the other mirrors found here:
http://www.live8live.com/theconcerts/index.shtml

Tried to launch AOL radio and ended up with this informative message
"We're sorry!
Your machine does not meet the minimum system requirements in order to download AOL Radio.
System Requirements
Operating System Hardware
-Windows 98 -A Pentium-class multimedia computer with a sound chip or dedicated sound card
-Windows ME -A 28.8kbps or faster internet connection (a connection speed of greater than 56k is recommended)
-Windows 2000 -A minimum of 5 MB of free disk space
-Windows XP -An Internet connection
Browser Versions
- IE 5.5 and above
- Netscape 7.1 and above (Note: Netscape 8 in Firefox mode is not currently supported. See below.)
- AOL 7.0 and above
Attention Firefox Users:
Currently AOL Radio does not support Firefox. Please come back next month, when Firefox support will be available."

which is found here: http://radaol-prod-web-rr.streamops.aol.com/radio/radioclient/usbb/html/sorry.html

Who wasn't ticked off in the extreme when on the receiving end of the "sorry" message??

Nothing like broadcasting to the "whole world"
[rant ends]

Bringing the thread back to its original intent for a sec.... I was unable to watch the webcast in Linux, unable to watch in Mac OS X Tiger (This blew my mind because multimedia is Apple's main claim to fame). I was unable to watch in Windows XP using Firefox - it locked up completely. The ONLY way I could watch was on Windows using Internet Explorer. Strange? Not really. Just look at who the sponser was: Microsoft Windows XP.

primeirocrime
July 3rd, 2005, 11:13 PM
[my personal political moutwash view on Live 8]
Live 8 just seems shady to me.

What is the greates cause of poverty in the world? Isn't it the constant leaching from the 1st world? Sucking all the resources and giving nothing back right? So how is it that this band aid bussiness to sell tickets with pop oriented bands that are really conscious about the state of the world and give this concerts and then sell their Live records just to make a short flow of money [or drugs, food] into to the pour nations. Like a drop in the ocean.

Then mr.Bill Gates is oh so supportive of this great cause. What is poverty? Isn't it the lack of economical power and if we see that the richest man in the world speaks and adressess this issues blatantly while he belongs to the leachers in the first place. Man it really gives my bowells some hard work.

I wish those pop icons would have just a tad of introspection and a made a deep reflection of what their role in this world is.

what is poverty once again? Isn't it not having or beeing deprived of something essential to exist in a decent way? It starts with trade and who controls trade and who had the pleasure to enjoy the products of trade while some kids in Paquistan are laying bricks or not having soy seeds to make tastless but nurishing food because of some embargo.

C'mon where is the control button to stop this messy loop? Although I'm a paranoid creature I do know in my calmest moments that things are conected and there is cause and effect and there is no way that simple drops in the ocean will help if there isn't a profound change in mentality and behaviour between humans. We as consumers are also a cause poverty, we as participants in a effort to stop poverty but at the same time fuels itself with all the candy that those events have are just playing a mind trick with our selves.
i don't doubt that the people that attended Live 8 were concerned, I'm troubled that it takes pop stars to make people show that concern, it's to easy, to damned easy to have someone else forming an opinion or expressing are value and we just nod.

the G8 isn't only the suit people or the big corporations, it's also the people that allow them to continue the robbing of the worlds resources. My country isn't G8 but no matter it condones and accepts and bows down to their strong arm.

Want to stop poverty?
[fig and or poethic] kill the middle man. kill the pop star. kill your idols. kill the exploiter. kill profit.
there are not enough archangels to spread their wings over our heads, we must make our own way to achieve a shadow and in the process make room for somebody else, [/fig and or poethic]
[/end of political mouthwash]

Stormy Eyes
July 4th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Everyone I know that went to Live 8 in Philadelphia didn't give two shits about the people in Africa.

Neither do I, and I didn't see or care about Live 8 in any way. It's not like Iron Maiden was going to perform, after all. I wouldn't mind cancelling Africa's debts, as long as we didn't give so much as a grain of rice to any African nation that allowed itself to be ruled by a dictator or a junta. It's time the people of Africa proved themselves worthy of the world's help by making the effort to help themselves.

Putting Robert Mugabe's head on a pike would be a good start, IMHO.

poofyhairguy
July 4th, 2005, 04:56 PM
what is poverty once again?

The consequence of a world with limited resources. Doesn't help that many of us in richer countries use more resources that we need because we can afford to.

There is no easy solution for world poverty.

primeirocrime
July 4th, 2005, 05:41 PM
The consequence of a world with limited resources. Doesn't help that many of us in richer countries use more resources that we need because we can afford to.

There is no easy solution for world poverty.

agree in full.

desdinova
July 4th, 2005, 06:01 PM
I was able to watch the livecast on my Ubuntu machine no problem , enjoyed Pink Floyd immensely

trash
July 4th, 2005, 07:48 PM
"It's time the people of Africa proved themselves worthy of the world's help by making the effort to help themselves."

as a person who has been beaten by police here in Canada in legal demonstrations, I think this is a really crapy thing to say.

'Ubuntu' seems lost on quite a few here!

Stormy Eyes
July 5th, 2005, 12:17 AM

I may use Ubuntu, and I do try to abide by the rules of this forum as I am a guest here, but you make a mistake in assuming that I ascribe to the ideal of Ubuntu just because I use Ubuntu Linux. I do not. I ascribe to other ideals. You say "Humanity to others"; I say "Treat others as they deserve to be treated, and judge them by their actions."

We'd best agree to disagree.

I hold others to the same standard that I myself live by, I prove myself worthy of others' help by attempting to solve my own problems before asking others' help. I expect others to do the same.

poofyhairguy
July 5th, 2005, 12:24 AM

Neat. The 103rd time the philosophy of Ubuntu has been warped on this forum to suit a person's needs at the time. (no I have not kept count...but it happens A LOT).

Cue my usual post of how I think that all the humanity stuff is nothing more than good marketing.....

crashtest
July 5th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Neither do I, and I didn't see or care about Live 8 in any way. It's not like Iron Maiden was going to perform, after all. I wouldn't mind cancelling Africa's debts, as long as we didn't give so much as a grain of rice to any African nation that allowed itself to be ruled by a dictator or a junta. It's time the people of Africa proved themselves worthy of the world's help by making the effort to help themselves.

Putting Robert Mugabe's head on a pike would be a good start, IMHO.

Wow, that's cold man. If the G8 nations stopped propping up all the little dictatorships, they would last about a day in power.

trash
July 5th, 2005, 12:36 AM
"We'd best agree to disagree."

agreed.

"Cue my usual post of how I think that all the humanity stuff is nothing more than good marketing....."

or do people want some lost humanity back and thats what makes for good marketing?

Stormy Eyes
July 5th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Wow, that's cold man.

If I had the means and the opportunity, I'd take Mugabe's head myself. That tyrant disgusts me. He ruined Zimbabwe by paying lip service to Marxist ideals, stealing land from those who made it feed the people, and giving the land to his cronies.

If the G8 nations stopped propping up all the little dictatorships, they would last about a day in power.

The dictatorships, or the G8 nations? Frankly, I could care less if the little dictatorships only lasted a day longer. I'd say 'Good riddance'. And I'd say 'Good riddance' if the United States stopped being a meddlesome superpower as well. The Revolution of 1776 wasn't fought so that the US could lord it over the rest of the world.

crashtest
July 5th, 2005, 12:52 AM
If I had the means and the opportunity, I'd take Mugabe's head myself. That tyrant disgusts me. He ruined Zimbabwe by paying lip service to Marxist ideals, stealing land from those who made it feed the people, and giving the land to his cronies.

The dictatorships, or the G8 nations? Frankly, I could care less if the little dictatorships only lasted a day longer. I'd say 'Good riddance'. And I'd say 'Good riddance' if the United States stopped being a meddlesome superpower as well. The Revolution of 1776 wasn't fought so that the US could lord it over the rest of the world.

I meant to say that the dictatorships are kept in power by the g8 nations. Without support from the west, the dictatorships could not stay in power. And I was not saying anything in favor of Mugabe - he should be the first to go.

Stormy Eyes
July 5th, 2005, 12:59 AM
I meant to say that the dictatorships are kept in power by the g8 nations.

I know they are. I find it disgusting that the politicians in Washington do this and then dare to claim that they represent me. I should go get a few soldiers drunk and see if I can't incite a coup d'etat by playing on their oath as soldiers to defend the Constitution of the US.

TravisNewman
July 5th, 2005, 03:43 AM
I know they are. I find it disgusting that the politicians in Washington do this and then dare to claim that they represent me. I should go get a few soldiers drunk and see if I can't incite a coup d'etat by playing on their oath as soldiers to defend the Constitution of the US.
*L* Yeah good point.

I consider myself much more patriotic than most, because I believe in upholding the Constitution. I don't call blind support of a country patriotism. And I most DEFINITELY won't call anyone installing puppet dictatorships in 3rd world nations patriotic.

Stormy Eyes
July 5th, 2005, 03:53 AM
I consider myself much more patriotic than most, because I believe in upholding the Constitution.

Want to hear something funny? My wife is more of an American than most of the native-born moral cowards I know, and she's from f---ing Australia. She at least believes in the ideals that guided the founding of this country.

TravisNewman
July 5th, 2005, 03:54 AM
Want to hear something funny? My wife is more of an American than most of the native-born moral cowards I know, and she's from f---ing Australia. She at least believes in the ideals that guided the founding of this country.
That's not funny, that kicks ass.