PDA

View Full Version : So how many Dell + Ubuntu computers have been sold?

RussianVodka
May 31st, 2007, 05:50 PM
I'm just wondering if there are any statistics on how many Linux pre-installed computers dell has sold.
I'm thinking of buying one in a few days, but I want to be sure I'm not the only one doing it. And also, I just wana see how it's turning out for them.

And also, how long before we start seeing reviews of the systems?

maniacmusician
May 31st, 2007, 06:15 PM
I'm just wondering if there are any statistics on how many Linux pre-installed computers dell has sold.
I'm thinking of buying one in a few days, but I want to be sure I'm not the only one doing it. And also, I just wana see how it's turning out for them.

soon. people will be recieving them this week and next week, and we'll probably start seeing reviews then.

There are plenty of people on the forums that are already doing it, so you can go ahead and do it too, if you want. I personally can't, because that laptop doesn't meet my standards, so I'm getting a thinkpad t61 instead, but I encourage people to buy Ubuntu Dell whenever possible.

bobbocanfly
May 31st, 2007, 06:45 PM
I just bought a new computer (With XP) a few months ago. Wish i had known these were going to come out. Next computer i buy will *probably* be a Dell-buntu

Dragonbite
May 31st, 2007, 06:57 PM
soon. people will be recieving them this week and next week, and we'll probably start seeing reviews then.

There are plenty of people on the forums that are already doing it, so you can go ahead and do it too, if you want. I personally can't, because that laptop doesn't meet my standards, so I'm getting a thinkpad t61 instead, but I encourage people to buy Ubuntu Dell whenever possible.Curious.. what standards are moving you to the T-61 over the Dellbuntu?

maniacmusician
May 31st, 2007, 07:51 PM
Curious.. what standards are moving you to the T-61 over the Dellbuntu?
this is getting off topic, but the thinkpad is built to be much more durable; it has a magnesium roll cage! That's probably the biggest reason. Others are; the new intel GMA X3100 chipset, which is leaps and bounds above the GMA950. Also, with that comes the new Santa Rosa chipset, which I don't think the Dellbuntu laptop has. I also like the trackpoint on the Thinkpad, and the fingerprint reader is pretty nice too.

Like I said, build quality is the main issue for me, and everything else is just a big plus to the T-61 option. The only thing that the Dellbuntu has over the T-61 is price, and the fact that I would get to support Linux on OEM computers. That's really cool, and I wish I could, but I need a durable laptop for school, and I plan on having it last a long, long time.

mech7
May 31st, 2007, 08:11 PM
Others are; the new intel GMA X3100 chipset, which is leaps and bounds above the GMA950.

So you get an even better crap card :D

maniacmusician
May 31st, 2007, 08:23 PM
So you get an even better crap card :D
uhh, yeah, that's hilarious.

I'm not going to be gaming on the laptop, and the X3100 is more than strong enough to run any type of compositing that I may want to run. If I ever feel the urge to waste my time playing games, I'll always have my Core 2 desktop with it's pretty nvidia card. But I'd rather get an efficient and power saving GPU for my laptop, thanks.

mips
June 1st, 2007, 11:36 AM
uhh, yeah, that's hilarious.

I'm not going to be gaming on the laptop, and the X3100 is more than strong enough to run any type of compositing that I may want to run. If I ever feel the urge to waste my time playing games, I'll always have my Core 2 desktop with it's pretty nvidia card. But I'd rather get an efficient and power saving GPU for my laptop, thanks.

+1

I would do the same as I dont use a laptop for games and then the Intel gfx are just fine for normal desktop use. The X3100 will be a great step up though.

daller
June 8th, 2007, 12:52 PM
If they offered it outside the US, I would have bought one as well...

Wonder if it will ever get to Denmark!

shijirou
June 8th, 2007, 01:00 PM
If they offered it outside the US, I would have bought one as well...

Wonder if it will ever get to Denmark!

It won't... You have to order it online and pay for shipping and stuff. I've been waiting for Dells to be officially sold here in the Philippines with no luck. Very ironic because one of the biggest Dell Tech Support Call Centers are located right here... :(

Blind Buzzard
June 8th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I'm not much of a dell fan. I think I would prefer a laptop from some like system76.

http://system76.com/

ninthforce
June 8th, 2007, 01:50 PM

Well I originally bought a Dell XPS 710 from Dell with XP Media Center by I quickly deleted it and but Kubuntu on it. Works like a charm.

Sunflower1970
June 8th, 2007, 03:04 PM

I was emailing with a lady back and forth yesterday at work who works at Dell. I asked her about how Ubuntu was doing. She wasn't sure, since she's not in the area which tracks such things, but she said she'd try to find out and get back to me. Have no clue when, but if I do find out, I'll post it :)

daller
June 10th, 2007, 01:18 PM
It won't... You have to order it online and pay for shipping and stuff. I've been waiting for Dells to be officially sold here in the Philippines with no luck. Very ironic because one of the biggest Dell Tech Support Call Centers are located right here... :(

We have dell.dk - but they don't offer laptops without an OS (or with Úbuntu)

And I can't order on dell.com - They don't ship outside the US...