PDA

View Full Version : MS cant get their facts straight before they try and bite our heads off.

jgrabham
May 31st, 2007, 04:11 PM
Started reading the top then gave up - http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/docs/TCO.pdf

Not free - free! :)

starcraft.man
May 31st, 2007, 04:18 PM
Started reading the top then gave up - http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/docs/TCO.pdf

Not free - free! :)

LOL, not another study they paid for... honestly >.>.

I started reading but I equally gave up, thats too much and I got other things to do... like Zerg annihilation.

Anyway, theres no reason to believe this one anymore... I remember one study was completely discredited cuz MS had arranged for (I don't remember exact details) a single windows machine/small network to go up against a whole IT floor/super network of computers running linux. It was obviously a biased comparison, I don't doubt this one is too...

happy-and-lost
May 31st, 2007, 04:26 PM
Keep in mind that that doc looks about 4-5 years ago.

I've only been using linux for 2 1/2 years, but even back then it was alot less "user friendly" to use than it is today. Hardware support has come a long way in just 2 years.

Cyvros
May 31st, 2007, 04:26 PM
Hehehe... that's pretty awesome. It's good to know that Microsoft's finally doing its research - last time I checked, they were saying it was a medical condition! :P

This is the bit I like the most:

These "waves" of adoption have brought increasing reliability and support to the overall Linux environment. However, they have not yet succeeded in lowering the TCO for Linux servers, which, on average, require more custom software and hands-on management than do comparable Windows 2000 servers. This is the case because custom Linux applications require optimization and tuning, achieved at the expense of professional time from programmers/developers, system administrators, and operations personnel.

As opposed to... manually-applied service packs, continual patches, enterprise-wide pain-in-the-butt product activation or the odd business-crushing crash?

Tomosaur
May 31st, 2007, 04:31 PM
Ah the get the facts campaign - beloved of Microsoft evangelists but absolutely smashed to pieces by everybody else :)