PDA

View Full Version : Hurt microsoft where it counts

rbo83
May 31st, 2007, 04:08 PM
If any of you or your friends are hotmail or msn users, use adblock in your browser and block everything that refers to rad.msn.com This is where Microsoft collects pennies (from their advertisers) for every ad it displays on the screen. So no pennies to microsoft from your using hotmail ! AND tell all the people you know, whether on Windows or Linux. I know very few people who do not have either an msn or hotmail account for when they travel, junk mail and other purposes (anonimity).

Posted also on fedoraforum

starcraft.man
May 31st, 2007, 04:22 PM
Uh, raises hand... all of mine are gmail accounts. Pardon my scepticism but I'm pretty sure if you want to hurt MS, you cut them off at the knee caps (ouch, I dunno why I used that expression) and get people to stop buying Office and Vista (as well as other sub par products like OneCare). Thats how to hurt them in the wallet. So tells your friends not to buy those... I don't think a few pennies for ads on any scale will stack up against millions of purchases of Vista and Office both for hundreds of dollars...... >.>

Oh and all of my friends use Gmail... since a long time. Are yours stuck in the late 90's?

happy-and-lost
May 31st, 2007, 04:23 PM
Yup :D

Also, switch to Gmail. You don't get any irritating ads attatched to the bottom of your emails, and there are all kinds of shiny checkers for it available. (I have invites!)

ThinkBuntu
May 31st, 2007, 04:23 PM
To really hurt Microsoft, post senseless flamebait on /.

Cyvros
May 31st, 2007, 04:29 PM
I still have Hotmail accounts, but for Messenger (since barely anyone I know uses Jabber), I use my Gmail address. I prefer to go for the 'insulting' approach.

aysiu
May 31st, 2007, 04:31 PM
Why would you have a Hotmail account if you wanted to hurt Microsoft?

runningwithscissors
May 31st, 2007, 04:32 PM
Why would you have a Hotmail account if you wanted to hurt Microsoft?++

jkeyes0
May 31st, 2007, 04:32 PM
Yup :D

Also, switch to Gmail. You don't get any irritating ads attatched to the bottom of your emails, and there are all kinds of shiny checkers for it available. (I have invites!)

Btw, Gmail is open now. http://mail.google.com/mail/signup

happy-and-lost
May 31st, 2007, 04:53 PM
Btw, Gmail is open now. http://mail.google.com/mail/signup

Aww... I don't feel special anymore...

karellen
May 31st, 2007, 05:02 PM
hmm....maybe I have something better to do than trying to hurt microsoft...;)

mozetti
May 31st, 2007, 05:12 PM
Furthermore, doesn't ad-block just prevent the browser from displaying ads? MS would still get $ anyway, you just wouldn't see the ads.

shen-an-doah
May 31st, 2007, 05:16 PM
I still use hotmail, mainly cos I've had the address for years and I can't bothered changing everything that has my address...

PhatStreet
May 31st, 2007, 05:18 PM
Mere pennies aren't going to hurt them. If you want to "hurt" them, you have to convince businesses, schools, and other users to not purchase their products.

shen-an-doah
May 31st, 2007, 05:20 PM
Mere pennies aren't going to hurt them. If you want to "hurt" them, you have to convince businesses, schools, and other users to not purchase their products.

Or kick 'em in the nuts...

Mazza558
May 31st, 2007, 05:35 PM
Yup, Gmail is the way to go.

use a name
May 31st, 2007, 05:35 PM
Lobby for laws prohibiting public services to waste money on IT.

matthinckley
May 31st, 2007, 05:38 PM
Or kick 'em in the nuts...
Seconded!

lyceum
May 31st, 2007, 05:38 PM
Why would you have a Hotmail account if you wanted to hurt Microsoft?

+1

It would be better jsut to get them to switch to gmail. Gmail is better anyway!

WinterWeaver
May 31st, 2007, 05:43 PM
Stop trying to hurt MS...
Start Building Ubuntu!!!

hillbilly
May 31st, 2007, 05:47 PM
I would just concentrate on Linux and stop worrying about "taking-over-the-world-by-destroying-microsoft". Global warming will do that for you !!

lyceum
May 31st, 2007, 05:55 PM
Stop trying to hurt MS...
Start Building Ubuntu!!!

+1

rbo83
May 31st, 2007, 06:26 PM
Furthermore, doesn't ad-block just prevent the browser from displaying ads? MS would still get $ anyway, you just wouldn't see the ads.

No. The hit count is activated only if the ad is actually retieved from the ad database (adblock prevents the retrieval), and the advertiser has paid in advance for a 'hit count' budget, which declines with each browser request.

Further, to those unaware of the numbers, the estimated number of hotmail/msn users is over 220,000,000 worldwide. So I guess a lot of people are still in the 90's...

Remember Microsoft is trying to fight google on advertising revenue. And it is easier to convince someone to use adblock than to switch to LINUX for now, although I have had a little bit of success there.

aysiu
May 31st, 2007, 06:30 PM
Remember Microsoft is trying to fight google on advertising revenue. And it is easier to convince someone to use adblock than to switch to LINUX for now, although I have had a little bit of success there. You don't have to switch to Linux in order to avoid Hotmail. What does Linux have to do with anything?