PDA

View Full Version : What is this "floppy disk" you speak of?

tehbeermang
May 31st, 2007, 03:09 PM
I went to best buy to get a case/wallet/something for my floppy disks, the ones that come with hard drives, old disks I used for school, etc.

They didn't have any. None. Nada, Zip.

Looking at the current crop of commercial computers: there are very few floppy drives installed.

It looks like the 3.5" floppy is finally dead.

LaRoza
May 31st, 2007, 03:11 PM
I noticed that also, when I tried to get floppy disks. It is very difficult.

mips
May 31st, 2007, 03:15 PM
Best to buy a few 3.5" Floppy drives and store them somewhere for the day you no longer get them.
There have been situations before where i would have been screwed without a floppy drive.

matthinckley
May 31st, 2007, 03:15 PM
flash media seems to have replaced floppies

maniacmusician
May 31st, 2007, 03:18 PM
flash media seems to have replaced floppies
soon, SSD technology will replace our hard drives too :)

tcpip4lyfe
May 31st, 2007, 03:57 PM
soon, SSD technology will replace our hard drives too :)

Thank god.

jgrabham
May 31st, 2007, 04:22 PM
Floppy disksare cheap, small light an I can save my homework/coursework on them and give them to my teacher, and they dont need to give them back. I'm not trusting my english teacher with my flash drive! :)

starcraft.man
May 31st, 2007, 04:32 PM
HA! I laugh OP, I still got floppies on all my desktops and I got stocked up on over 250, I'm in it for a long war... I won't go down easy :p

Seriously though, just make a gmail account and attach whatever you want to a draft. The limits now 20 MB I think, thats almost 10 floppys. And then anyone can access it anywhere... or email anywhere >.>.

FuturePilot
May 31st, 2007, 04:44 PM
One time I needed a floppy drive and my desktop PC didn't come with one, so I had to cannibalize an old computer temporarily for the drive:p

tehbeermang
May 31st, 2007, 04:48 PM
I think I have 30 or so.

I have no idea how many my in-laws recently tossed.

It was one and a half boxes. Ten-ream paper boxes. I wouldn't be surprised if it was over a thousand.

Eddie Wilson
May 31st, 2007, 04:48 PM
Another thing a person can do is get an external usb floppy drive. Then you can put where ever you need it.
Eddie

prizrak
May 31st, 2007, 04:52 PM
I went to best buy to get a case/wallet/something for my floppy disks, the ones that come with hard drives, old disks I used for school, etc.

They didn't have any. None. Nada, Zip.

Looking at the current crop of commercial computers: there are very few floppy drives installed.

As dead as it may be Server 2003 and Win XP will STILL ask you for a driver on one for a RAID controller....

insane_alien
May 31st, 2007, 06:41 PM
the only time someone is replacing my floppy disks is when the pry them from my cold dead fingers. :P

i love my floppies and i won't give them away for anything.

Arathorn
May 31st, 2007, 06:55 PM
Finally. Time for a party!\\:D/

jgrabham
May 31st, 2007, 07:01 PM
Come to think of it, my English teacher still has my floppy disk case - i'll argue with him on monday!

Funny story - My teacher "James - wheres your coursework?"
Me - "Theres something wrong with the boot loader on my IBM laptop so I cant get it till I find my winxp disk, all I can get is a weird error code"
He stares blankly for a minute then - "get it for tomorrow or you're on detention"
Got away with it :)

Should work in every lesson except IT!