PDA

View Full Version : enclosure for old compact flash-sized hard drives?

dogskull
May 31st, 2007, 12:51 PM
I have a couple of 8GB hard drives that came out of broken Zen Microphoto mp3 players. I think that they are right around the size of compact flash cards. I would love to stick these in some sort of enclosure and use them as portable hard drives. Does anyone know where I can get such a beast? Thanks!

a12ctic
May 31st, 2007, 01:23 PM
I doubt they sell anything like that, you'd probobly have to make it yourself. There might be some guides, but I'm not sure.

mips
May 31st, 2007, 02:28 PM
Are you using a Desktop or Laptop ???

You could always get a bunch of IDE to Compact Flash adapters like this, http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/peripherals/addonics-compactflash-adapters-replace-notebook-hard-drives-249594.php

Then you can use any normal IDE interface or IDE enclosure.

Alternatively You can get a dedicated CF reader for a PCI slot but I dunno if they support more than one card.

Edit: Those drives you are referring to are called Microdrives and share the same interface & dimensions as Compact Flash cards. They are interchangeable. The microdrives were popular in the old days with dslr camera users as they provided greater capacity than CF at lower cost.

tgalati4
May 31st, 2007, 03:03 PM
If the drives are in good shape, you can buy some old iPod mini's that have broken drives and upgrade them. Install Rockbox and you can listen to ogg files.

dogskull
May 31st, 2007, 10:03 PM
mips: Thanks for the link, that's pretty cool. I have an old laptop with a trashed drive, and though 8 GB is pretty small, for $25 it'd be a step up from nothing.

I couldn't find any enclosures anywhere. I suppose that I could make one from a USB reader that supports microdrives. (Most readers that support CFII support microdrives.) Thanks for the help.

mips
June 1st, 2007, 11:32 AM
mips: Thanks for the link, that's pretty cool. I have an old laptop with a trashed drive, and though 8 GB is pretty small, for $25 it'd be a step up from nothing.

Those microdrives are dog slow and not as reliable as normal hard drives. Instead of spending $25 on the adpater I would spend a little more and just buy a 2.5" HD. You can get a 20GB Hitachi travelstar for $29.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822146232

I couldn't find any enclosures anywhere. I suppose that I could make one from a USB reader that supports microdrives. (Most readers that support CFII support microdrives.) Thanks for the help.

Yes, nothing stops you from making your own case, you can actually buy ready made cases from dedicated electronics stores and you get some nice ones. Would be nice if you could get a dual CF reader then you can use two drives at once.

dogskull
June 1st, 2007, 11:49 AM
Wow, I hadn't realized those drives were so cheap now. Not that I'd looked; I hadn't really thought about this project until now... I appreciate your advice.

RelativelyQuantum
June 4th, 2007, 09:07 PM
If you were interested, you could order an IDE to CF adapter, and boot from it like a standard hard drive. See the link below:

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/cfdisk_2g

There is also a way to boot directly from a CF while its in a PCMCIA adapter. This is slightly riskier since it's exposed, but still an option. Keep in mind that the card is not hot-swapable, however.

Hope this helps.