PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 2.0.0.4

_simon_
May 31st, 2007, 11:27 AM
Haven't seen it mentioned yet, so just to let you know it was released on 30th May.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Fixed in Firefox 2.0.0.4
MFSA 2007-17 XUL Popup Spoofing
MFSA 2007-16 XSS using addEventListener
MFSA 2007-14 Path Abuse in Cookies
MFSA 2007-13 Persistent Autocomplete Denial of Service
MFSA 2007-12 Crashes with evidence of memory corruption (rv:1.8.0.12/1.8.1.4)

Fr@nKy
June 1st, 2007, 06:39 PM
How do I install it on Feisty?

bruce89
June 1st, 2007, 06:40 PM
How do I install it on Feisty?

You wait until the package is updated on the repos. Security updates aren't worth installing manually as they are boring.

mech7
June 1st, 2007, 06:44 PM
Why is it that in windows i just get a message restart firefox and you update is installed.. And with ubuntu they seem to have removed the button? it is greyed out? Why not let firefox update itself? now it takes so long to get it :(

BarfBag
June 1st, 2007, 06:51 PM
Already using it in Arch. It pays to use a bleeding edge distro. 2.0.0.4 seems a lot more stable, but I upgraded my Ram right before installing it. It's probably just that.

bruce89
June 1st, 2007, 06:54 PM
Why is it that in windows i just get a message restart firefox and you update is installed.. And with ubuntu they seem to have removed the button? it is greyed out? Why not let firefox update itself? now it takes so long to get it :(

Ubuntu relies on repositories for updates, Firefox's own update thingy would bugger stuff up big time. Ubuntu's version of Firefox is modified to make it crash more often too.

A few security fixes is nothing worth getting excited about, even the 1.5>2.0 upgrade was boring, unless you call more memory use a feature.

Fr@nKy
June 1st, 2007, 06:55 PM
I'm tired of waiting for updates LoL That's what bores me on Linux :P I prefer Windows on (only) that ;)

mech7
June 1st, 2007, 07:00 PM
Ubuntu relies on repositories for updates, Firefox's own update thingy would bugger stuff up big time. Ubuntu's version of Firefox is modified to make it crash more often too.

Hmm so that is why firefox crashes allot under ubuntu. Why isn't there just a default version installed what is modifued it looks exactly the same :(

bruce89
June 1st, 2007, 07:02 PM
Hmm so that is why firefox crashes allot under ubuntu. Why isn't there just a default version installed what is modifued it looks exactly the same :(

Here is the patch that Ubuntu applies - http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/f/firefox/firefox_2.0.0.3+1-0ubuntu2.diff.gz 311.4 KiB gzipped.

Bachstelze
June 1st, 2007, 07:05 PM
To those who wish to upgrade their Firefox using the built-in autoupdater :

Run Firefox as root :

gksudo firefox

The "Check for upgrades" menu item will not be greyed out anymore. When you click on it, the upgrade wil be downloaded. When it's done, you are prompted if you want to "restart Firefow now", say No. Then, close it manually and restart it with gksudo again. The update will then be installed. Re-close Firefox, and you can run it normally ever after.

Of course, this way of updating is by no means supported by Ubuntu, use at your own risk, blah blah blah.

bruce89
June 1st, 2007, 07:09 PM
To those who wish to upgrade their Firefox using the built-in autoupdater :

Run Firefox as root :

gksudo firefox

The "Check for upgrades" menu item will not be greyed out anymore. When you click on it, the upgrade wil be downloaded. When it's done, you are prompted if you want to "restart Firefow now", say No. Then, close it manually and restart it with gksudo again. The update will then be installed. Re-close Firefox, and you can run it normally ever after.

Of course, this way of updating is by no means supported by Ubuntu, use at your own risk, blah blah blah.

None of this works, that's a good thing though.

Bachstelze
June 1st, 2007, 07:12 PM
Very strange it doesn't work, it has always worked for me with previous releases... Out of curiosity, what does it do instead of working ?

starcraft.man
June 1st, 2007, 07:16 PM
I don't see what the fuss is all about... Its just a security fix (plus better support for Vista... we don't need that on Linux). I looked over change log didn't see anything too substantial that would make me rush and get it.

Oh and to mech7, I have no idea why you crash often. My firefox is fine...

aidanr
June 1st, 2007, 07:23 PM
Very strange it doesn't work, it has always worked for me with previous releases... Out of curiosity, what does it do instead of working ?

check about:buildconfig, firefox in the repos is built with updates disabled

Rashid584
June 1st, 2007, 07:27 PM
I'm tired of waiting for updates LoL That's what bores me on Linux :P I prefer Windows on (only) that ;)

Its not Linux in general that does that, just Ubuntu

I'm running Sidux at the moment, and its bleeding edge, you can upgrade everything whenever you want (or not, if you don't want)

One drawback, is that it could be less stable, but I haven't had any major show stopper problems with it.

Having a stable distro like [k]ubuntu is nice when you want stability, but sometimes living on the bleeding edge is more fun :p

-Rashid

gregmark
June 4th, 2007, 07:17 PM
I use Fiesty as my host OS on my work PC. Last week, my firefox browser was crashing hourly. Since I ran the synaptic update this morning, I haven't crashed once.

It disturbs me that the myriad complaints about firefox crashing in this forum have, for the most part, gone unanswered by Ubuntu forum overlords.

Rashid584
June 5th, 2007, 06:54 PM
The Ubuntu devs don't really come on this forum (for whatever reason...I think thats a mistake personally but I guess they don't have the time. I understand there's "forum ambassadors" and such so thats a good idea imho)

Firefox is still very memory intensive, and slow/unresponsive and "unstable" in the sense of relatively frequent crashes (although it is useable)

I guess I'm gonna need an upgrade...although I do recall that firefox 1.0 (and probably 1.5 for that matter) were a lot more stable than this.

-Rashid

casals
June 8th, 2007, 06:20 PM
I have Xubuntu/Feisty on an IBM TP 600x (500mhz, 192MB). I let it go update Firefox a couple of hours ago. The update was agonizing, took over an hour, machine completely unresponsive. It finally finished, with the window manager frakked -- ctl-alt-backspace to restart. Seemed ok then, so I started Opera (my browser of choice). Once again, heavy heavy disk use, machine so tied up I can't even move the cursor. It's been doing this for about an hour.

What to think?

AlanR8
June 8th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Must be missing something here....

I upgraded from the repositories about 10 days ago........

casals
June 8th, 2007, 06:42 PM
This is a very new installation (put it on the machine last Sunday). I've been running the Update Manager I guess every day to see what wanted updating; today was the first day it said it wanted to update anything -- Firefox.

AlanR8
June 8th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Hmm

I can assure you I didn't do it the hard way........or was it in Automatix? I can't remember.

starcraft.man
June 8th, 2007, 06:47 PM
This is a very new installation (put it on the machine last Sunday). I've been running the Update Manager I guess every day to see what wanted updating; today was the first day it said it wanted to update anything -- Firefox.

Uh, firstly its a good idea that you make a new thread over here. (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73) Just copy and paste your two posts. The cafe is not a good place for support, its mostly random banter/fun, and that section of the forum is dedicated to support.

Personally, I have no idea why the update took that long. If everything else updates quickly, theres no reason for that to take so long (only took a minute on my old p4)... maybe someone with more experience with Xubuntu can help you in beginner forum.

casals
June 8th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Thanks!

Isaac_x
June 8th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Hm