PDA

View Full Version : Who needs beryl when you have KDE?

igknighted
May 31st, 2007, 10:31 AM
http://dot.kde.org/1180541665/

A quick overview with some flash vids of what the compositing in KDE4 will look like. It looks like a lot of the effects will be similar to beryl, but with a twist. The alt-tab switcher looks awesome, the grid feature (think a usable metisse) looks interesting, and overall it seems a lot more mature than I had expected. None of it is turned on by default tho, so those without high tech gadgetry can still use KDE4 of course. Sounds (and looks) amazing if you ask me!

amar
May 31st, 2007, 10:49 AM
I like! The feature i find most useful in beryl is the zoom (where it zooms the whole screen) which it seams to have, the other useful feature is the invert colours so that my eyes don't hurt late at night. I wonder if that will appear

awakatanka
May 31st, 2007, 12:16 PM
Looks more usefull then beryl, but .... beryl could be doing the same. But love it that they trying to be more usefull and try to combine the best of metisse and compiz/beryl. Hope also that they include a easy plugin system and themeable decorater.

TheMono
May 31st, 2007, 12:19 PM
It's not really anything Beryl can't do. Don't get me wrong, I'm really looking forward to it, but not for being cooler or more useful than Beryl - rather I'd hope that it is distinctly more stable.

JetskiDude911
May 31st, 2007, 12:56 PM
That looks cool. I'm still trying to decide if I want to use KDE (I think I've got 3.5 maybe, I'll have to look) or just stick with Gnome. Right now I'm still kind of leaning towards Gnome, but who knows. I'll have to try KDE4 when it comes out for sure.

maniacmusician
May 31st, 2007, 01:29 PM
It's not really anything Beryl can't do. Don't get me wrong, I'm really looking forward to it, but not for being cooler or more useful than Beryl - rather I'd hope that it is distinctly more stable.
It won't be for a while. KDE4.0 will be riddled with bugs and instability, and it's probably going to get a lot of bad feedback because of that. I don't expect it to settle down till 4.2, maybe 4.1 if the KDE guys really work their butts off...but seeing as a lot of them are unpaid and still need to attend their real job, this is a little unlikely.

But yes, it is really cool, and I can't wait. What I want most of all is better integration between Beryl and KDE, and this includes their compositing efforts.

igknighted
June 1st, 2007, 05:20 AM
It won't be for a while. KDE4.0 will be riddled with bugs and instability, and it's probably going to get a lot of bad feedback because of that. I don't expect it to settle down till 4.2, maybe 4.1 if the KDE guys really work their butts off...but seeing as a lot of them are unpaid and still need to attend their real job, this is a little unlikely.

But yes, it is really cool, and I can't wait. What I want most of all is better integration between Beryl and KDE, and this includes their compositing efforts.

See, beryl is and always will be a testbed. It isn't used as a wm all by itself. Trying to replace the native wm (kwin, metacity, etc.) will always cause issues, so the best solution is to port the stuff beryl develops to the native wm's... and this is what KDE is doing (and to a less flashy extent, Xfce has done for some time). This is how awesome 3d effects will be stable in linux (well, aside from graphics driver issues, but thats another story...)