PDA

View Full Version : After Dell-Ubuntu, a Blizzard-Ubuntu deal?

armalite
May 31st, 2007, 09:11 AM
Some days ago finally started the long awaited Dell-Ubuntu deal, at least on selected countries (not mine). Dell is selling pcs with Ubuntu preinstalled.

This is a great thing for our community and for Open Source spread, and everyone of us sees that deal a good thing, I hope.

I read today the interview Mark Shuttleworth gave to Phoronix on their site: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=732&num=2. The thing that took my attention on a 5 pages interview was:

Phoronix: With a majority of retail games currently using Microsoft's DirectX, the reason why many Windows users do not use Linux is simply due to the lack of available games, etc. Do you see more game studios adopting OpenGL or how do you see Linux gaming evolve in the coming years?

Mark: You've hit on a really important point there. Many of the young and adventurous types who would really like to run Linux and would quickly become familiar with it are also the heavy gamers. And so that's a reason for them not to make the move entirely but to keep Windows around to play games. I would very much like to see that changed and I would like to see gaming on Linux become of a more serious thing. It's something where we aren't devoting a tremendous amount of resources.

Now, we can play some of the Windows games by using Wine or Cedega, altough the latter isn't free (as in speech). Wine/Cedega are surely a good effort, but I (and i'm sure, everyone of us) want to run games natively on Linux.

So, what can be done to have success on this? Ubuntu/Canonical should rely on "avalanche effect" like already done with Dell: let one of the biggest computer seller start shipping PCs with Ubuntu GNU/Linux OS preinstalled and others sellers will eventually follow. Side effect: Ubuntu and Free Software will gain popularity among users.
Why shouldn't try this with games, where Linux has to fill some gap against "the" commercial OS? Let's start with a good game, that surely will have a good spread throughout the audience. Let's do it now because it is still in development (and it will take a long time to hit the shelves).

Let's make a Blizzard-Ubuntu deal to let the upcoming Starcraft 2 be Ubuntu compatible!

I don't know who could do this, the Ubuntu User Community, the Ubuntu Foundation, Canonical, maybe Mark Shuttleworth that goes to Blizzard HQ and speaks with Blizzard CEO: i don't know, but someone that has a directive position in Ubuntu Development should do this.

The deal could be simple: Blizzard lets Starcraft 2 be available natively on Ubuntu (or Linux), Ubuntu Community (and forums) help Blizzard in supporting players (installation howtos, troubleshooting, generic support) and Ubuntu Developers help Blizzard to make a good Linux installer and have some sort of cooperation with dev team at Blizzard.

About the Open Sourceness, i understand that a game like this can't be oper sourced. So maybe only the installer could be open sourced (for example as done with Quake and Return To Castle Wolfenstein installers), or even this could be closed source. IMHO this shouldn't be the main focus of the deal.

As you probably already know, to me it is safe to say that Starcraft 2 will be one of the greatest rts, mainly because the former Starcraft is still played after 9 years after the debut. Blizzard is a great game software house capable of releasing World of Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo, every game they published had quite a good success. This software house could be a good partner to Ubuntu, and vice-versa.

So many of us still have Windows XP on their pcs just to play games, and me too. I'm a WoW player and I'm not satisfied with Wine performance (altough I do understand the really hard effort that needs a project like wine. Developers: you're great guys!) even with better-than-average hardware.
A Blizzard-Ubuntu (or if you prefer: Ubuntu-Blizzard) deal could be the first in such sense, let big games support Ubuntu. After all, there are no Directx 9 or 10 in Apple Mac Os X, and Starcraft2 is going to support Apple OS, so an opengl version of the game will work on Ubuntu and will require not too much work on Blizzard side.

EDIT: corrected some minor mispells

Polygon
May 31st, 2007, 10:30 AM
worst case scenario: im sure the game will run fine in wine due to the fact that the game engine supports opengl... but we really should just get a native port of our own. But the question is, how to convince them?

hack the wow servers and hold them hostage until they agree to make a linux port!

Tomosaur
May 31st, 2007, 12:11 PM
Although Blizzard are unlikely to open-source their games, it's always worth a shot. I'd approach them with a few solutions:

1) Completely open-source game code. We pay for the data only (this is probably as far as Blizzard would be willing to go, and even this is incredibly unlikely to happen). Demonstrate how they can still make money, how they can tap into the community for new features / bug fixes etc etc, while still retaining profits. Obviously, they run the risk of someone developing free data for the game (maps, images, models etc etc etc), but for big games, this can take a long, long time, and I'm confident that Blizzard would enjoy great profits for a long time before any sensible free data was made available.

2) Open source installer. This one is quite possible, and probably the 'most likely' to happen if Blizzard were to provide a native Linux version.

3) Open-source nothing, just make the game available for Linux users.

In reality, what I would expect to happen would be number 2) because it's the least work for Blizzard, and they don't really have to support anything 'for Linux'. I would prefer number 1, but ultimately it's Blizzard's choice.

timpino
May 31st, 2007, 12:29 PM
hack the wow servers and hold them hostage until they agree to make a linux port!

Don't know if terrorism is the way to go, but if Blizzarrd decides to port Starcraft to GNU/Linux it would be a huge lift but not enough really. More companies that makes Win/OSX games have to make GNU/Linux games for it to take off.

I'm hopeful but not expecting anything to be honest.

armalite
May 31st, 2007, 12:50 PM
2) Open source installer. This one is quite possible, and probably the 'most likely' to happen if Blizzard were to provide a native Linux version.

3) Open-source nothing, just make the game available for Linux users.

In reality, what I would expect to happen would be number 2) because it's the least work for Blizzard, and they don't really have to support anything 'for Linux'. I would prefer number 1, but ultimately it's Blizzard's choice.

Same here: I really think that a complete open sourced Blizzard game is out of reach at this time.

Nevertheless, since Starcraft 2 is in development we should act now to let the history change, we should not wait when the game is released. Every online petition against Blizzard to release a Linux WoW client was unsuccessful, and this game is 2+ years old.

I think that a community petition won't get far. I think that high talks between Ubuntu representatives and Blizzard to let explain to Blizzard the pros to release a Linux game or installer is needed, followed by a poll hosted at Blizzard website where they ask some questions to users like: "would you like to buy Starcraft 2 Linux version?" or "which distribution do you want to play Starcraft 2 on?" or something like the poll that Dell hosted before launching PCs with Ubuntu.

a12ctic
May 31st, 2007, 01:21 PM
It would take a minimal amount of effort for blizzard to port their games, word of warcraft there were WORKING linux clients, I don't see why they can't just embrace the linux community and port their games. They already have mac ports, its not that much extra work....

timpino
May 31st, 2007, 03:31 PM
It would take a minimal amount of effort for blizzard to port their games, word of warcraft there were WORKING linux clients, I don't see why they can't just embrace the linux community and port their games. They already have mac ports, its not that much extra work....

It's not that much extra work to make _a_ linux client but to make one that works on all different flavours of linux will probably be a bit of work...

The reason many game companies state is their reason for not making linux clients is that they can not anticipate how the systems are built up and therefore would have a hard time to give techincal support.

Granted they already have mac clients for their games so there is probably no problem to make _a_ linux port.

Tomosaur
May 31st, 2007, 04:29 PM
That 'we don't know which distribution you're using' excuse really irritates me. A distribution is just a collection of software. All Linux distributions are essentially the same at the core. Provided your kernel is not overly modified, or is not totally out of date, then there are no real problems. It's akin to saying 'you need Windows 98 or later to play this game'. All developers need to do is tell us which kernel version the game is supposed to run on, and let us know the dependencies required. This is in no way as big of a problem as developers like to make out. Their real beef, I can't help but feel, is that they don't want to package their software in a .deb or .rpm, which is understandable since, although package management helps resolve dependencies, it is also a pain to manage from the developer's point of view. This is why an open-source installer would be the best solution, because they can just provide the unpackaged data (obviously, they can stick it in a tarball or something for ease of distribution) and we can let the installer sort everything out for us.

DX 00
May 31st, 2007, 04:39 PM
... an open-source installer would be the best solution, because they can just provide the unpackaged data (obviously, they can stick it in a tarball or something for ease of distribution) and we can let the installer sort everything out for us.

It would be very cool to start seeing more games available to the Linux Community in this form.

newbie2
May 31st, 2007, 04:49 PM
I think that a community petition won't get far.
tried that...turned out that blizzard is not interested

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=462409&postcount=63

#-o