PDA

View Full Version : Palm Folio anyone ?

mips
May 30th, 2007, 11:04 PM
http://www.palm.com/us/products/mobilecompanion/foleo/
http://www.slashgear.com/slashgear-photos-palms-folio-companion-device-305500.php

ynnhoj
June 1st, 2007, 03:33 AM
it looks like a nifty little thing, but ultimately i'm not sure that it would be very useful. i figure that if you're prepared to spend ~$500 on a foleo, you might as well spend a bit more and get a small laptop.

kamaboko
June 1st, 2007, 03:40 AM
A big flop for Palm.

maniacmusician
June 1st, 2007, 04:06 AM
Yeah, I was surprised when I heard about this. What a huge waste. Why would anyone spend $500 on that atrocity? for a couple of hundred dollars above that, you get a laptop that's many times as powerful. It's a ridiculous idea. This is sad, since Palm was just starting to use Linux, too, and now they'll lose a lot of money in this investment.

I'll be surprised if they sell 20,000 units....and I'll feel very sorry for those 20,000 people that bought it.

reclusivemonkey
June 1st, 2007, 12:36 PM
With a keener price point, it would be quite an attractive prospect for me. Small form factor, very lightweight, solid state, good battery life and "instant on". I didn't look too closely at it, but if you had a fully functioning shell under there it would be great.

mips
June 1st, 2007, 01:06 PM
With a keener price point, it would be quite an attractive prospect for me. Small form factor, very lightweight, solid state, good battery life and "instant on". I didn't look too closely at it, but if you had a fully functioning shell under there it would be great.

A Flybook might be a better option.

reclusivemonkey
June 1st, 2007, 01:17 PM
A Flybook might be a better option.

Thanks for the heads up. I had a quick look on Google product search though and they seem more expensive than a regular laptop!

mips
June 1st, 2007, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I had a quick look on Google product search though and they seem more expensive than a regular laptop!

True but you do get a fully working computer that is ultra mobile with VERY good connectivity options and touch panel.

I had a look and the prices compare to other ultra portables like the lifebook etc.

McLogic
June 1st, 2007, 10:44 PM
True but you do get a fully working computer that is ultra mobile with VERY good connectivity options and touch panel.

I had a look and the prices compare to other ultra portables like the lifebook etc.

If the Folio is compared to an ultra-portable it is cheap, but limited. If it is compared to a laptop, it is more portable but less useful. If it runs the Geode LX800 like the OLPC, then it should lhave some support.

I'm looking for a mobile IM/Email/PIM computer that is cheap and has a long battery life. This may be it, but I think that this misses the mark. I think that if the price could match the Nokia N800 it would be a big seller ($400 US).

RelativelyQuantum
June 1st, 2007, 10:50 PM
Personally, I'm psyched! This is exactly what I have been waiting for in terms of size and features, and I'm sure that within the first week people will have learned how to install Linux onto it. A solid-state device of this design is a godsend in my eyes. Has anyone heard about hard drive/ram specs, or does it use continual-access flash memory?

ynnhoj
June 1st, 2007, 11:19 PM
i was having a tough time finding the foleo's technical specs last night. i didn't look very hard, but i would've thought that they would be easy to find on palm's site. :?

mips
June 1st, 2007, 11:49 PM
i was having a tough time finding the foleo's technical specs last night. i didn't look very hard, but i would've thought that they would be easy to find on palm's site. :?

I had the same problem. Not that easy to find the exact specs as to its inner workings.

orengolan
July 10th, 2007, 09:54 AM
is it possible to install applications on the folio?
what about overriding the default OS with Ubuntu or any other Linux distro?