PDA

View Full Version : Idea for Ubuntu Dev Team?

lsalminen
May 30th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Ubuntu is nice, itís solid, itís fast and itís robust (so far anyway), but itís also way too geeky in spots. Donít get me wrong, overall Ubuntu is nice, friendly and convivial. But there are dark corners that absolutely reek of Linux geekdom cliquiness that average users arenít going to feel at home in (I donít feel at home there). Ubuntu updates are one such area where you need a high level of know-how to understand whatís going on.What the Ubuntu dev team need to do is find, I donít know, 100 people who arenít Linux geeks and stick them in front of the OS. Use these people to get feedback on different aspects of the OS. As soon as users start to look confused, scared or go bug-eyed then something needs tweaking. If your average home user is going to look at Ubuntu as an alternative to Windows or Mac, all these geeky corners have to be smoothed out.

- Adrian Kingsley-Hughes; ZDNet Blogs

I was reading a blog post of his from last week, and it is really true. I think the Ubuntu Gutsy team or future releases need a team of these kind of people for feedback, because just about everyone here knows "something" about Windows or Linux. We need old people who just know how to click and read email. With some work on user funcionality, Ubuntu will be the OS of choice.

I know there are the ambassadors on this forums, but we should try to reach out beyond this forum, and try to get other types of people to try Ubuntu, and get feedback.

starcraft.man
May 30th, 2007, 09:49 PM
- Adrian Kingsley-Hughes; ZDNet Blogs

I was reading a blog post of his from last week, and it is really true. I think the Ubuntu Gutsy team or future releases need a team of these kind of people for feedback, because just about everyone here knows "something" about Windows or Linux. We need old people who just know how to click and read email. With some work on user funcionality, Ubuntu will be the OS of choice.

I know there are the ambassadors on this forums, but we should try to reach out beyond this forum, and try to get other types of people to try Ubuntu, and get feedback.

Uh, we have a forum for suggestions/discussion regarding Gutsy, it is here. (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=238)

I don't see how that could be improved upon... seems simple enough to me to post suggestions.

As for reaching out beyond the forum, how do you propose we do that? There are lots of people who simply run away or ignore you at mention of linux, and there is a large portion of people "out there" who go out of their way to misinform the average user about linux. Balmer, I am looking at you and your FUD! I myself try to tell people about it, but you can't "make" people use Ubuntu... some are just happy with what they have.

Not to mention zdnet.... bleh >.>

Bottom line though, no matter how simple and streamlined Ubuntu becomes, its doubtful it'll ever be as easy (at least to the average user's mind) as Windows for the simple fact that those people are used to Windows and likely expect a windows clone, which Ubuntu is not nor does aim to be.

Hobbsee
May 31st, 2007, 07:02 AM
Feedback is only any good if you have people actually doing something with the feedback.

If you're going and looking for more people, I'd suggest you find some who are interested in coding some of this stuff, and getting it into ubuntu, and other popular linux distros.