PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with the "Designed for Windows" Stickers?

JNowka
May 30th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Well I searched the forums to see if anyone has started a poll to see what happens to all those "Designed for Windows" stickers that most computers come with when bought pre-built. Please post what you do if you choose other.

Ill vote first!

I personally Rip the sucker off!

FuturePilot
May 30th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Make a nice fire with it and replace it with a nice shiny Powered by Ubuntu sticker:D

bukwirm
May 30th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Leave it on untill it wears off - it's pretty close to that point now.

ThinkBuntu
May 30th, 2007, 08:58 PM
I bought my ThinkPad T41 used about four months ago. I recall pulling out my utility knife and scraping the sticker off cleanly at a stoplight, and tossing it out my window en route to my apartment. Georgia Avenue, you are now designed for Windows!

starcraft.man
May 30th, 2007, 09:03 PM
LOL, I rip em off (if its on).

On a related note: Those Vista Capable and Vista Premium Capabale stickers were a joke when they were selling computers to be upgraded to Vista. Some people upgraded to Vista and realized their low end hardware is only good for two things, booting and closing with Aero on (which defeats point IMO) :p. Shame on MS/OEMs for using such an underhanded practice...

We need to make a giant bonfire with these stickers :D.

JNowka
May 30th, 2007, 09:12 PM
We need to make a giant bonfire with these stickers :grin:.

This would be a very interesting. Can you imagine the Headlines? Ubuntu Burns Windows!

starcraft.man
May 30th, 2007, 09:19 PM
This would be a very interesting. Can you imagine the Headlines? Ubuntu Burns Windows!

ROFL! We need to make it so big that aliens passing by can see it :D. Maybe then they can abduct Gates (and keep him) and put our world out of its misery :p.

Bachstelze
May 30th, 2007, 09:21 PM
My laptop has only the Intel and the Nvidia stickers left, all the others are gone :p I left the AMD one on my server too, and I added a "Powered by OpenBSD" one

mostwanted
May 30th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I removed every sticker from my laptop. No reason for having them on, as I don't find any of them aesthetically pleasing.

use a name
May 30th, 2007, 09:45 PM
I'll laugh at it, but at the same time I know I have a way too powerful machine. :)

Ebuntor
May 30th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I ripped it off when I switched to Ubuntu. I used it in a ritual sacrifice to the operating system gods, asking them to make my transition as easy as possible. After that I installed Ubuntu. (not that I really needed the help, I just enjoyed burning it) :p

Now all the pc's and laptops in my home proudly wear one of Jenda's beautiful Ubuntu stickers (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=344600&highlight=stickers). :)

All I need now is a "Windows XP incompatible, Vista impossible" sticker ;)

CityofAsh
May 30th, 2007, 09:53 PM
I build my own. So i have never seen that sticker before! hehe

orb9220
May 30th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Replace them with these.
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=480837425&size=o for orig. size.

juxtaposed
May 30th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Replace them with these.
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=480837425&size=o for orig. size.

I'd have to tape that on or something :P

Anyway, for now I leave it on.

ryanVickers
May 30th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Leave it on untill it wears off - it's pretty close to that point now.

Yeah, I've had mine for almost a week and this is happening :) they're probably printed by microsoft.

Just kidding, but my computer was custom, so I dont have one horray!

kevinlyfellow
May 30th, 2007, 11:43 PM
I put my windows stickers in the back. The front is for the Ubuntu stickers.

Oh, and everyone here knows about the free ubuntu stickers right?
http://system76.com/index.php/cPath/53_64?osCsid=ae0dc5ba2185982f24291bdd7e3a46bf

a12ctic
May 31st, 2007, 12:11 AM
I build my own rigs, so they never get that evil sticker, at school I usualy take them off or draw something on them.

starcraft.man
May 31st, 2007, 12:14 AM
I put my windows stickers in the back. The front is for the Ubuntu stickers.

Oh, and everyone here knows about the free ubuntu stickers right?
http://system76.com/index.php/cPath/53_64?osCsid=ae0dc5ba2185982f24291bdd7e3a46bf

Awesome, I will post for em tomorrow , I should visit system76 more often :).

ep2011
May 31st, 2007, 12:20 AM
I ordered the stickers from System 76 - http://system76.com/index.php/cPath/53_64?osCsid=ae0dc5ba2185982f24291bdd7e3a46bf

I received them in about a week. I added the Ubuntu sticker next to my Intel sticker which is above my Windows Sticker (I find no reason to remove it).

Just if anyone was wondering, the Stickers from System 76 are very nice looking and made. And all you need to do is send a self-addressed envelope!

Kingsley
May 31st, 2007, 12:24 AM
I leave the sticker on. It's so beautiful and shiny. I wouldn't mind using an Ubuntu sticker as a replacement though.

hillbilly
May 31st, 2007, 12:32 AM
Mine is a dual boot and I leave the sticker on ! It doesnt bother me and windows does work for me, ubuntu just works better !!

jimrz
May 31st, 2007, 02:06 AM
I leave it on AND place my "powered by ubuntu linux" sticker right there next to it.

kinda like like the message that that implies. ;)

ceelo
May 31st, 2007, 03:14 AM
LOL, I hardly ever look at my tower (these old Dell cases are not very pretty), I've forgotten about it to be honest. :p

71CH
May 31st, 2007, 04:20 AM
if you gently scratch the surface of the sticker you're left with a sticker with a nice glossy mirror finish. not that it's useful but better than leaving a sticky mark.

yabbadabbadont
May 31st, 2007, 04:47 AM
I never buy a computer, only components.... ;)

GSF1200S
May 31st, 2007, 06:21 AM
I like it on there.. It just shows the flexible nature of Linux.

Every time I see "Designed for Windows XP, Windows Vista Capable" I smile as I see the penguin OS loading :)

Bigbluecat
May 31st, 2007, 07:47 AM
Carefully remove them and stick them back on whatever rubbish bin, wastebasket or toilet bowl you desire - just for that fleeting warm fuzzy feeling inside.

PS. Prize to the first person that sticks one on a toilet in MS headquarters

Noah0504
May 31st, 2007, 08:04 AM
I'm always afraid that they won't come off cleanly -- especially the "Designed for Windows XP" stickers Compaq slaps to their notebooks. So, I just leave them on. It's not big deal. I have a nice Ubuntu sticker on the front lid that people actually see. :)

Sceptical
May 31st, 2007, 10:00 AM
Peel it off, find a Mac, stick it on ;)

mangar
May 31st, 2007, 10:28 AM
I remove all the stickers from all of my equipment. I think that those stickers are ugly, and serve no purpose
after they done their marketing part.

I also really hate it when the car mechanic puts a sticker of his garage on my car's bumper. arrgh!!

fepa
May 31st, 2007, 12:45 PM
I RIP IT OFF IMMEDIATELY!! :D

I've been using Ubuntu for a few days now, I'm more impressed every day!
Can't believe that I haven't tried out Linux sooner.. :D:D

GrueTamer
May 31st, 2007, 12:50 PM
I rip it off, and then I shred it. It took two minutes (http://youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno) :)

araz
May 31st, 2007, 01:01 PM
Hi,

I ripped it off at the store before i get the computer home (@home I cleaned the remains).

I tried to do it in my girlfriends laptop and it took more and more time but then finally i achieved it=D>

;)

lyceum
May 31st, 2007, 01:43 PM
I put a "Powered by Ubuntu" sticker right next to it. May have been built for Windows, but powered by Ubuntu :)

LaRoza
May 31st, 2007, 02:02 PM
I keep all stickers that come on the computer on the computer.

bobbocanfly
May 31st, 2007, 06:57 PM
One word. Fire.

jgrabham
May 31st, 2007, 07:05 PM
Mybe we should do what theyre doing with the AOL disks you get sent, save them up till you have several million, then dump them on the HQs front door!

JNowka
May 31st, 2007, 07:41 PM
PS. Prize to the first person that sticks one on a toilet in MS headquarters

No Prize goes to the first person to put a "Powered by Ubuntu" Sticker on Mr. Gates Work Computer, and takes a picture of it!

Pugwash
May 31st, 2007, 07:42 PM
I bought my ThinkPad T41 used about four months ago. I recall pulling out my utility knife and scraping the sticker off cleanly at a stoplight, and tossing it out my window en route to my apartment. Georgia Avenue, you are now designed for Windows!

LOL!:D

Quillz
May 31st, 2007, 08:31 PM
I leave it on, don't do anything with it.

red_Marvin
June 1st, 2007, 12:40 AM
Freezer tape and permanent pen ;)

init1
June 1st, 2007, 12:57 AM
I leave it on even though I no longer have windows

jaem
September 24th, 2007, 07:05 AM
I took it off and replaced it with this (http://www.sfu.ca/~jgm3/tuxsticker.png):

I made that during a rather boring comp-sci class - we were doing intro to C++, and since I've been doing programming in various languages since grade 6, I think there was a grand total of three sentences I had to pay attention to that class ;). That said, it's a good class. (just in case my prof's reading this...)

It was done in Inkscape, and made to resemble the MS sticker as much as possible.

Here's my blog post (http://bricksnbytes.blogspot.com/2007/09/just-say-no-to-microsoft-with-your.html) about it, including links to the SVG and PDF files.

jaem
September 24th, 2007, 07:18 AM
I'm always afraid that they won't come off cleanly -- especially the "Designed for Windows XP" stickers Compaq slaps to their notebooks. So, I just leave them on.
The one on my HP Compaq nc6120 came off beautifully, as did the one on my now- (and pretty much since I got it-) defunct HP Omnibook XE3L GF. It left a mark, but not what I'd call residue. The guy at RadioShack/The Source By Circuit City said a little bit of vinegar should get it off. You should be able to get a stronger concentration than your standard household vinegar somewhere, but I can't remember what it's used for, so I couldn't tell you where.

NikoC
September 24th, 2007, 07:23 AM
It's not the just the windows sticker I ripped off, I pretty much did the same with all other 'advertisements' (nvidia, intel, ...) on my lappy!

synthaxx
September 24th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I relocated it to the top of the CD shredder.

Seemed a fitting place for it ;)

holihue
September 24th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Will it blend?

DeadSuperHero
September 24th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I take the sticker off, and then I try to put it on my toilet. That's what pure crap is designed for anyways.

jaem
September 26th, 2007, 03:08 AM
...Something's wrong with the permissions on my university hosting account - use the blog link in my above post to see the picture, and I'll try to work out the problem so that I can get the SVG and PDF accessible too.

sorry...

LowSky
September 26th, 2007, 03:27 AM
No stickers are on my box... I love the clean look of brushed aluminum.

macogw
September 26th, 2007, 03:35 AM
Defenestrate!

sstusick
September 26th, 2007, 03:48 AM
I just ripped that sticker off! Going to replace it with a Powered By Ubuntu sticker when I get them.

jr.gotti
September 26th, 2007, 04:34 AM
I rip it off and put it on my trashcan, i can't think of anything else better designed for windows. =]