PDA

View Full Version : Bash linux and ubuntu why don't ya? *grumble*

malfist
May 30th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Has anyone read this: http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=420&page=1?
Let me quote it's title: "Five crucial things the Linux community doesn’t understand about the average computer user"

On page 3 of the blog he attacks ubuntu for it's updating process, way to complecated:

"Ubuntu is nice, it’s solid, it’s fast and it’s robust (so far anyway), but it’s also way too geeky in spots. Don’t get me wrong, overall Ubuntu is nice, friendly and convivial. But there are dark corners that absolutely reek of Linux geekdom cliquiness that average users aren’t going to feel at home in (I don’t feel at home there). Ubuntu updates are one such area where you need a high level of know-how to understand what’s going on.What the Ubuntu dev team need to do is find, I don’t know, 100 people who aren’t Linux geeks and stick them in front of the OS. Use these people to get feedback on different aspects of the OS. As soon as users start to look confused, scared or go bug-eyed then something needs tweaking. If your average home user is going to look at Ubuntu as an alternative to Windows or Mac, all these geeky corners have to be smoothed out."

Yes, it is so confusing to click update, type in your password (if you're an admin) and let it run. I mean, on windows it's soooo much easier, you have to buy a new copy of the software, unistall the old, reinstall the new. Let's hope you don't need to update much, that can get expensive and time consuming. As for updating the OS to a new version too; windows is so much easier too. Figure out which version you want, buy it, install it, activate it, keep up with keys and serial numbers, and pray it works. Man, I wish ubuntu could make it that easy.

Malfist

mlentink
May 30th, 2007, 08:28 PM
I hear ya bro"!

kevinlyfellow
May 30th, 2007, 08:30 PM
and a replay to that

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/87416/index.html

Adamant1988
May 30th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Has anyone read this: http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=420&page=1?
Let me quote it's title: "Five crucial things the Linux community doesn’t understand about the average computer user"

On page 3 of the blog he attacks ubuntu for it's updating process, way to complecated:

"Ubuntu is nice, it’s solid, it’s fast and it’s robust (so far anyway), but it’s also way too geeky in spots. Don’t get me wrong, overall Ubuntu is nice, friendly and convivial. But there are dark corners that absolutely reek of Linux geekdom cliquiness that average users aren’t going to feel at home in (I don’t feel at home there). Ubuntu updates are one such area where you need a high level of know-how to understand what’s going on.What the Ubuntu dev team need to do is find, I don’t know, 100 people who aren’t Linux geeks and stick them in front of the OS. Use these people to get feedback on different aspects of the OS. As soon as users start to look confused, scared or go bug-eyed then something needs tweaking. If your average home user is going to look at Ubuntu as an alternative to Windows or Mac, all these geeky corners have to be smoothed out."

Yes, it is so confusing to click update, type in your password (if you're an admin) and let it run. I mean, on windows it's soooo much easier, you have to buy a new copy of the software, unistall the old, reinstall the new. Let's hope you don't need to update much, that can get expensive and time consuming. As for updating the OS to a new version too; windows is so much easier too. Figure out which version you want, buy it, install it, activate it, keep up with keys and serial numbers, and pray it works. Man, I wish ubuntu could make it that easy.

Malfist

I'm sorry but this is incredibly ignorant of you to say. Firstly, in Ubuntu applications become a part of the system, they're integrated, and thusly are updated the same way the system would be. In Windows, applications are kept separate from the system, so each application must be updated individually. So when you say you're updating windows, what do you mean? The example you give is updating software, while I think the appropriate comparison here is updating the system. In Windows XP updating the system is painless, but most of the process is hidden, you're not seeing what's updated most times.

Your entire opinion on this is blatantly biased and lacks any kind of objectivity. Firstly, updating any OS to a new version is a risky venture, be it Windows or Ubuntu. Now, in Windows you need to remember that versions of the OS are years apart and (usually) are a massive step forward in terms of functionality. So you'll buy the update (or a clean install, which I personally prefer) install it, and key in the serial number ((which is also the same as activating it) and be on your way once it finishes.

By the way, I don't think I've ever paid for an application upgrade on Windows since most of my software was open-source or freeware (AIM, Windows Live Messenger) etc.

smoker
May 30th, 2007, 08:33 PM
he,s obviously a windows dinosaur who's been living in a bubble for the last couple of years, people like him will stick to windows till microsoft go out of business, then, no doubt, he'll reminesce about the 'good old days!' the rest of the world meanwhile, will be moving on to better and freer computing.

aysiu
May 30th, 2007, 08:34 PM
It's been discussed extensively here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2695929#post2695929).