PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu in La Presse

kiddo
May 30th, 2007, 04:01 PM
It seems Ubuntu is doing very, very well :)

I scanned this page (it is in French) from La Presse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Presse_%28Canada%29) this morning. Ubuntu is getting good publicity from one of the biggest francophone newspaper in North America (201 000 daily prints in 2005). How's that, for world domination? ;)

I'm a bit lazy to translate this. Roughly, it's covering the rising fame of Ubuntu, the recent offering by Dell, the origins of Ubuntu, the Montreal tech support center, etc. There is also an online version (http://technaute.lapresseaffaires.com/nouvelles/texte_complet.php?id=81,12399,0,052007,1356997.htm l&ref=nouvelles) available.

starcraft.man
May 30th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Hmmm, interesting... they did get a few things wrong. Thunderbird isn't installed by default, Evolution is... and I don't particularly like the way they referred to the GNU Image Manipulation Program (yup, I still not using abbreviation :p) as a (inferred cheap) clone of PS...

Other than that, it was a decent article. I guess a few mistakes are to be expected. Hopefully there are other Allophones/Francophones that can appreciate the article :D.

Oh and thanks for pointing it out Kiddo, I don't often get to have a look over the French papers.

Hygelac
May 30th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks for posting this!

Compucore
May 30th, 2007, 05:06 PM
That is good to know. Great work in finding it there. I do pick up once in a while lapresse when I go in to work by metro. The small errrs like thunderbird or evolution of which one is the default is minimal. Hey may of wanted to say evolution and was thinking of thunderbord since he may have installed it on a testing machine. Its good to see that ubuntu is coming out even up here in Quebec Canada. I've been trying to get one of the people who writes for The Gazette to do the same. For the English speaking population of Quebec.

Compucore

starcraft.man
May 30th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I've been trying to get one of the people who writes for The Gazette to do the same. For the English speaking population of Quebec.

Compucore

Ya, I read the Gazette all the time and haven't really ever heard em talk about Linux/Ubuntu much in the tech articles... maybe I should send em a note too.

Oh and, I'm glad to see there are Quebecer's here on the forum :D.

Compucore
June 1st, 2007, 06:38 PM
I've already done that. I know for sure that there are two people tha write for the Gazaette one is during the week and the other for the weekend for the tech toys. I have made an offer to show them and bring in a CD of the latest release like Feisty fauwn and show them what it looks like and let both of them have a copy of that version. I'll let you know. So far one is interested in it and the other never really tried it out. Since he used mainly windows. Yjey are both suppose to give me a call back or email for that. The wo freelance writee that deal with tech stuff on the market don't know that much of ubuntu. Unil I mentioned it to them. I'll write back to both to see where they are at with it. Maybe there will be a write up on it soon.

Compucore

Ya, I read the Gazette all the time and haven't really ever heard em talk about Linux/Ubuntu much in the tech articles... maybe I should send em a note too.

Oh and, I'm glad to see there are Quebecer's here on the forum :D.