PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft collecting emails

helliewm
May 30th, 2007, 02:18 PM
In the UK Microsoft and the British Library are collecting people's emails.

www.emailbritain.co.uk

I am serious.

I wonder what the consent issues if someone sends your email to the collection without your consent?

Helen

LaRoza
May 30th, 2007, 02:22 PM
I don't think consent issues will be an issue unless there is an reasonable expectation of privacy regarding the content, like business transactions.

It seems like a rather not-so-bright idea, I imagine it will end up becoming a giant spam collector.

super breadfish
May 30th, 2007, 03:45 PM
But it's voluntary isn't it? The website is asking people to forward emails to their address, they aren't just going through emails without consent. It even says you have to have permission from any third parties mentioned in the email before you can send it to them.

starcraft.man
May 30th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Is MS clueless(alternatively, insane or high on green stuff)? What kind of absurd thing is this? Why would anyone want to have their emails in a public database for all to read or see at a later date? Why would emails be a good record of the times anyway? This just seems ridiculous IMO, must be from the same type of people that conceived the anti piracy measure Windows Genuine Advantage, a complete oxymoron.

MellonCollie
May 30th, 2007, 04:04 PM
But it's voluntary isn't it?

Yes. (but people will use any old excuse to bash Microsoft)

mills
May 30th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Is MS clueless(alternatively, insane or high on green stuff)? What kind of absurd thing is this? Why would anyone want to have their emails in a public database for all to read or see at a later date? Why would emails be a good record of the times anyway? This just seems ridiculous IMO, must be from the same type of people that conceived the anti piracy measure Windows Genuine Advantage, a complete oxymoron.

its just a bit of fun so that in 50 years time we can look back and reminisce, "oh yeah, i remember that LOL thing everyone used back then". much the same way our grandparents supposedly do with postcards from 50 years ago, "oh yeah, I remeber that morse code thing we use to use back then". just a harmless archive to go with all the letters and postcards.
and i think its more to do with the British library than MS

starcraft.man
May 30th, 2007, 07:09 PM
its just a bit of fun so that in 50 years time we can look back and reminisce, "oh yeah, i remember that LOL thing everyone used back then". much the same way our grandparents supposedly do with postcards from 50 years ago, "oh yeah, I remeber that morse code thing we use to use back then". just a harmless archive to go with all the letters and postcards.

Hmmm, maybe they should do the good ol' fashioned time capsule in the ground if thats what their aiming for... besides I think putting a chest in the ground is more fun IMO :D. Emails are so easy to make and send now...

Oh and, I don't know if I'd ever say something MS did was harmless...... even if their not in charge, maybe I'm a paranoid ol' Protoss Zealot though, eh? :p

doobit
May 30th, 2007, 07:11 PM

I still use Morse code as a form of relaxation.
I agree it's a dying language though.