PDA

View Full Version : Install Fest - Advertising

aboutblank
May 30th, 2007, 05:44 AM
THIS POST WILL BE UPDATED WITH THE GENERAL CONSENSUS.

Asterisks are points from the Wiki

*when and where the install fest will be held. A map and simple directions will help.

Obviously, this only needs to be on posters not in the library

10375 Little Patuxent Parkway
(Little Patuxent Parkway & South Entrance Road)
Columbia, MD 21044
410-313-7800

*that if they wish to install Ubuntu they should bring every part of their computer system: monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, USB devices, power strip. Support people will need all the components to make sure everything is functioning properly.

I would suggest that we tell people they only need their towers, but the more they bring the easier it will be for them later. (Printer isn't listed, but I think that could be more of a problem than Keyboard,mouse,speakers, etc.) - John

I agree. Nearly all keyboards/mice work automagically when plugged in. More unique devices like printers, scanners, etc should be brought in if they want help setting them up. Also, we'll need a pair of speakers to just test the audio for them - Craig

*that they may want to bring blank CD-R media to trade for copies of Ubuntu on CD-R

I don't think this is needed. I think we can supply everyone with 1 free copy. - John

I think it depends on how many Chuck can get from Canonical. - Craig

*minimum system requirements - some people will want to install Linux on very old/slow systems in an attempt to make them usable. This is OK, but there are limitations. You may want to include minimum system requirements in your install fest advertisement so that people do not show up with an old machine, hoping to turn it into a power-house but leave disappointed.

From https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements
Desktop - Minimum

*300 MHz x86 processor
*64 MB of system memory (RAM)
*At least 2 GB of disk space (for full installation and swap space)
*VGA graphics card capable of 640x480 resolution
*CD-ROM drive

If your system has less than 192 MB of system memory, use the Alternate Installation CD.

I think we should have fairly high requirements. Something within the last 7 years with at least 256MB of Ram. - John

Here are some places to consider advertising:
local computer user Web sites
local news media
local computer retail stores
pennysaver

phr0ze
May 30th, 2007, 01:08 PM
THIS POST WILL BE UPDATED WITH THE GENERAL CONSENSUS.

Asterisks are points from the Wiki

*when and where the install fest will be held. A map and simple directions will help.

Obviously, this only needs to be on posters not in the library

10375 Little Patuxent Parkway
(Little Patuxent Parkway & South Entrance Road)
Columbia, MD 21044
410-313-7800

*that if they wish to install Ubuntu they should bring every part of their computer system: monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, USB devices, power strip. Support people will need all the components to make sure everything is functioning properly.

I would suggest that we tell people they only need their towers, but the more they bring the easier it will be for them later. (Printer isn't listed, but I think that could be more of a problem than Keyboard,mouse,speakers, etc.) - John

I agree. Nearly all keyboards/mice work automagically when plugged in. More unique devices like printers, scanners, etc should be brought in if they want help setting them up. Also, we'll need a pair of speakers to just test the audio for them - Craig

I can bring a small set of powered speakers meant for MP3 players.

*that they may want to bring blank CD-R media to trade for copies of Ubuntu on CD-R

I don't think this is needed. I think we can supply everyone with 1 free copy. - John

I think it depends on how many Chuck can get from Canonical. - Craig

I will supply whatever Chuck can't get for at least 1 per person. They won't be as pretty, but neither will their own CD-Rs.

*minimum system requirements - some people will want to install Linux on very old/slow systems in an attempt to make them usable. This is OK, but there are limitations. You may want to include minimum system requirements in your install fest advertisement so that people do not show up with an old machine, hoping to turn it into a power-house but leave disappointed.

From https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements
Desktop - Minimum

*300 MHz x86 processor
*64 MB of system memory (RAM)
*At least 2 GB of disk space (for full installation and swap space)
*VGA graphics card capable of 640x480 resolution
*CD-ROM drive

If your system has less than 192 MB of system memory, use the Alternate Installation CD.

I think we should have fairly high requirements. Something within the last 7 years with at least 256MB of Ram. - John

Here are some places to consider advertising:
local computer user Web sites
local news media
local computer retail stores
pennysaver

ChuckFrain
May 30th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Just a real quick note on the CD's. I did get a box of Ubuntu Fiesty CDs from Cannonical. I think there's ~50 in the box. Any other flavors will require CD's to be burned. I have a spindle of 100 to donate to the cause, and tradeins would be welcome but not required.

What would be neat is if someone has access to some CD labels and a color printer to make the disks look a little better.

aboutblank
May 30th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I did get a box of Ubuntu Fiesty CDs from Cannonical. I think there's ~50 in the box. Any other flavors will require CD's to be burned.

I assume that they are the Fiesty desktop flavor? The boxes imageserver we run for PCs w/o a CD-rom can run using the alternate ISO, so we don't need to have more than 5(?) of those burned. 5 server install discs would be good too.

phr0ze
May 31st, 2007, 02:05 AM
I have color laser which I could use if they make the labels for laser. However most CDRs have logos and lines on them, I wonder how bad it would look