PDA

View Full Version : My Ubuntu/Dell has SHIPPED!

gotonpo
May 29th, 2007, 11:41 PM
.. and living in Austin, it's scheduled to arrive tomorrow! I'm excited!

I've been an Ubuntu user since Hoary. Before that, I primarily used OS X. Before that, a Windows user that struggled with a Linux install every 6 months or so for about 10 years. Only Ubuntu kept me happy enough to stay.

I'm proud of Dell for their recent move.. so I decided to put my money (credit) where my mouth is.

I'm upgrading from a 1.0ghz Pentium III, 512mb RAM, lowly GeForce 4 and a 17" CRT... to a whopping:

Core 2 Duo (2.13ghz per core), 2gb RAM, GeForce 7300LE (which I'll upgrade when Gutsy arrives) & a 20" widescreen LCD. All for $769 + tax. (Take advantage of that $350 off coupon if it's still available!)

What a difference! I haven't had a *new* computer since I was about 14. Everything since has been a hand-me-down, hack-job, mish-mash, junker pile.

Being in Austin, I may be one of the first to get one of these Dells... so I'll happily report my findings. My co-worker/neighbor purchased one of the laptops the day they were announced, so it is a good time.

Thank you Ubuntu, Thank you Dell!

H.E. Pennypacker
May 29th, 2007, 11:43 PM
New computers are sooooooooo sweet. Congrats! But unfortunately, they begin to look old after a while. Let us know how things turn out.

PS: This thread will probably be merged with another one.

DJ Wings
May 29th, 2007, 11:51 PM
I ordered an uncustomized E1505N (with recycling kit and 2 trees) yesterday, so it should ship in three or so days, right?

Rhuac
May 30th, 2007, 01:10 AM
I'm the coworker/neighbor and here's what I ordered:

Inspiron E1505 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T5300 (2MB Cache/1.73GHz/533MHz FSB)
LCD Panel 15.4 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen WXGA+ Display with TrueLife™
Memory 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm
Video Card Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Hard Drive 120GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
Operating System Ubuntu Edition version 7.04
CD ROM/DVD ROM 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
Sound Options Integrated Audio
Wireless Networking Cards Intel PRO/Wireless 3945a/g
Primary Battery 53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Subtotal: $854.00
Shipping and Handling: $19.99
Shipping Discount: -$19.99
Tax Total: $70.45
Total: $924.45

I'm pretty excited too. About 6 months ago I decided I would upgrade to Ubuntu before I downgraded to Vista. So I've been an Ubuntu user on my desktop for a few months now. I've been wanting to get a laptop for just about that long too but was holding out for this move from Dell.

jiminycricket
May 30th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Pleeeeease post a review when you receive it. I can't order from where I live, but I'm trying to decide on whether to wait for Dellbuntu to come to Canada or go with System76.

Rhuac
May 30th, 2007, 01:21 AM
Sure thing. Like Gotonpo said, we live in Austin and I wouldn't be surprised if we had them tomorrow.

celsofaf
May 30th, 2007, 01:21 AM
Core 2 Duo (2.13ghz per core), 2gb RAM, GeForce 7300LE (which I'll upgrade when Gutsy arrives) & a 20" widescreen LCD. All for $769 + tax.

It drives me mad when I see how cheap are those prices, and how it's all very expensive and unaffordable here.

](*,)

DJ Wings
May 30th, 2007, 02:00 AM
Your setup looks all right...
I'll post a review, but it might be a while before I can use it. Check my blog (link in sig) until it gets there (expect about a month).

FuturePilot
May 30th, 2007, 03:56 AM
I'm the coworker/neighbor and here's what I ordered:

Inspiron E1505 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T5300 (2MB Cache/1.73GHz/533MHz FSB)
LCD Panel 15.4 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen WXGA+ Display with TrueLife™
Memory 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm
Video Card Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Hard Drive 120GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
Operating System Ubuntu Edition version 7.04
CD ROM/DVD ROM 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
Sound Options Integrated Audio
Wireless Networking Cards Intel PRO/Wireless 3945a/g
Primary Battery 53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Subtotal: $854.00
Shipping and Handling: $19.99
Shipping Discount: -$19.99
Tax Total: $70.45
Total: $924.45

I'm pretty excited too. About 6 months ago I decided I would upgrade to Ubuntu before I downgraded to Vista. So I've been an Ubuntu user on my desktop for a few months now. I've been wanting to get a laptop for just about that long too but was holding out for this move from Dell.

Congrats! Just curious, will that run Compiz or Beryl ok?

ButteBlues
May 30th, 2007, 04:33 AM
Congrats! Just curious, will that run Compiz or Beryl ok?
It won't run all the effects like water, but it'll run most of them perfectly swell.

FuturePilot
May 30th, 2007, 04:38 AM
It won't run all the effects like water, but it'll run most of them perfectly swell.

Cool. I can live without the water. I just want my drop shadows and wobbly windows:D

Crafty Kisses
May 30th, 2007, 06:02 AM
.. and living in Austin, it's scheduled to arrive tomorrow! I'm excited!

I've been an Ubuntu user since Hoary. Before that, I primarily used OS X. Before that, a Windows user that struggled with a Linux install every 6 months or so for about 10 years. Only Ubuntu kept me happy enough to stay.

I'm proud of Dell for their recent move.. so I decided to put my money (credit) where my mouth is.

I'm upgrading from a 1.0ghz Pentium III, 512mb RAM, lowly GeForce 4 and a 17" CRT... to a whopping:

Core 2 Duo (2.13ghz per core), 2gb RAM, GeForce 7300LE (which I'll upgrade when Gutsy arrives) & a 20" widescreen LCD. All for $769 + tax. (Take advantage of that $350 off coupon if it's still available!)

What a difference! I haven't had a *new* computer since I was about 14. Everything since has been a hand-me-down, hack-job, mish-mash, junker pile.

Being in Austin, I may be one of the first to get one of these Dells... so I'll happily report my findings. My co-worker/neighbor purchased one of the laptops the day they were announced, so it is a good time.

Thank you Ubuntu, Thank you Dell!
Congratulations.

j.miller565
May 30th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Congrats for getting new computer :)

ButteBlues
May 30th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Cool. I can live without the water. I just want my drop shadows and wobbly windows:D
Those'll run more than fine. ;)

Kingsley
May 30th, 2007, 06:41 AM
I'm almost regretting that I ordered a dv6000t :D. It's been 9 days and still isn't here.

Tux Aubrey
May 30th, 2007, 07:07 AM
The Op is generating excessive Bubble-Wrap Envy. He should post a video of the unpacking!

argie
May 30th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Holy jesus, < 800 USD for that system. WOW! Things are so expensive here. Damn that's good, congrats! Wish they sold those here at the same price.

jusmurph
May 30th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Nice.

Good to see people buying these Systems.

I prefure to build my own though ;)

misfitpierce
May 30th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Woooo yea

EdThaSlayer
May 30th, 2007, 12:37 PM
I'm so jealous...
it makes me want to hijack whatever truck is holding those laptops.

FFighter
May 30th, 2007, 12:57 PM
It drives me mad when I see how cheap are those prices, and how it's all very expensive and unaffordable here.

](*,)

Yep! It also makes me envy... seriously though, it's amazing how easy is to get a brand new bleeding-edge desktop/notebook out there (I mean, outside Brazil). It's quite an investment here and requires a lot of planning and savings unless you have lots of money (are rich). Anyway, congrats!

gotonpo
May 30th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Just to throw my childish giddiness back into this thread....

OMG! Fedex status: my apartment manager has signed for two packages! Can't wait to get home!

I have absolutely no problem with the pricing on these machines Dell is offering. I feel like I got a steal. If I had built my own machine, I would have picked premium parts for everything and spent twice as much (I'm anal). I'd also have to spend hours of research making sure every part was Linux friendly.

Dell can afford to give us good deals (and in my case, does the budget shopping for me.. I don't NEED a $200 power supply), they do the compatibility research for you, and if enough of us support this venture they could potentially put a lot of pressure on hardware manufacturers to release more open drivers.

It's nothing but a Good Thing. If you need a computer, consider giving Dell your support!

prizrak
May 30th, 2007, 08:55 PM

OMG! Fedex status: my apartment manager has signed for two packages! Can't wait to get home!

I have absolutely no problem with the pricing on these machines Dell is offering. I feel like I got a steal. If I had built my own machine, I would have picked premium parts for everything and spent twice as much (I'm anal). I'd also have to spend hours of research making sure every part was Linux friendly.

Dell can afford to give us good deals (and in my case, does the budget shopping for me.. I don't NEED a $200 power supply), they do the compatibility research for you, and if enough of us support this venture they could potentially put a lot of pressure on hardware manufacturers to release more open drivers.

It's nothing but a Good Thing. If you need a computer, consider giving Dell your support!

We better see a report by the end of tomorrow!!!! I'm giddy to find out how they are working too :)

sethdotcom
May 30th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Good for you friend tell us how it runs

aysiu
May 30th, 2007, 11:15 PM
This thread was about a user's excitement in getting a new Dell Ubuntu computer, but the thread got hijacked a bit, so I've moved the posts about comparative pricing to the Dell and Ubuntu pricing thread. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=454505)

hanzomon4
May 30th, 2007, 11:17 PM

My thoughts exactly...

C'mon folks, you can now tell family and friends to get a Gnu/linux Dell-buntu knowing that everything works. It's not hard to find working hardware for linux but now it's a no brainer for the less technically confident amongst us.

gotonpo
May 31st, 2007, 01:37 AM
Well.. I must post some disappointing news.

My computer arrived today. I opened it up to find a massive dent in the corner of the case. :( There were several other dented pieces of metal, the HD cage was held together by a tiny string of broken plastic and the USB card towards the front of the case had been mashed.

:( :( :( So very disappointed.

I called Dell, and despite having to sit on hold several times and speak with someone out of the country, they're taking care of me. They claimed they'd rush the order, and I got next day shipping without even having to ask.

The monitor arrived in a separate box and in good shape.. no dead pixels! So I'm keeping it.

I was hoping to be the first running an Ubuntu loaded Dell, but I didn't even bother to turn on this jacked up machine. :(

Anyone else get theirs yet?

My girlfriend is here w/ pizza & wine. Goodbye.

JetskiDude911
May 31st, 2007, 01:46 AM
This will be my first post here, haha, but anywho, I think it's cool that Dell is offering Ubuntu on a line of desktops. The specs look really nice on the machines. Unfortunatly, I won't be able to get one for a long time. I just bought a new iMac not too long ago, and my wife would kill me. I would love to get one though. My wife is still cursing the iMac (for me buying it, and the fact that it doesn't have Windows on, so she had no idea how to use it). But gratz! I hope you enjoy it. :D

maniacmusician
May 31st, 2007, 02:29 AM

My computer arrived today. I opened it up to find a massive dent in the corner of the case. :( There were several other dented pieces of metal, the HD cage was held together by a tiny string of broken plastic and the USB card towards the front of the case had been mashed.

I called Dell, and despite having to sit on hold several times and speak with someone out of the country, they're taking care of me. They claimed they'd rush the order, and I got next day shipping without even having to ask.

The monitor arrived in a separate box and in good shape.. no dead pixels! So I'm keeping it.

I was hoping to be the first running an Ubuntu loaded Dell, but I didn't even bother to turn on this jacked up machine. :(

bummer :( Hope the next one they ship turns out better...

aysiu
May 31st, 2007, 02:30 AM
That sucks.

Rhuac
May 31st, 2007, 05:27 AM
Sure thing. Like Gotonpo said, we live in Austin and I wouldn't be surprised if we had them tomorrow.

Turns out Dell ships their laptops out of Nashville? So instead of getting it today I should have it tomorrow?

5/30/2007 8:28 pm In transit. Waco Regional Hub, TX
5/29/2007 12:00 am Shipment Acknowledged Nashville, TN
5/29/2007 Picked Up by DHL.

On the up side, looks like I'll be getting my Dellbuntu before Gotonpo!

GSF1200S
May 31st, 2007, 06:07 AM
Congrats and THANK YOU. Always remember that you are a part of the 'movement.' If people keep buying, the corporate world will take notice.

Im kind of kicking myself for buying my Ibuypower HEL80 now, but in all fairness, I hadnt really seriously considered Linux when I got it. Then Linux became my dream of sorts, and bam here I am...

Its rewarding, and you are contributing to Linux's development :)

Chilli Bob
May 31st, 2007, 06:17 AM

DUDE!!! That sucks!!! I feel your pain.](*,)

Warpnow
May 31st, 2007, 06:26 AM
Dp you get to keep the broken one and the new one?

Spr0k3t
May 31st, 2007, 06:34 AM
I'm sorry to hear you got slapped by the Dell mantra. You may want to double check to see if you have any missing memory. I've known shipping companies have damaged goods in the past just so they can get their hands on something inside a computer.

Tux Aubrey
May 31st, 2007, 06:56 AM
My girlfriend is here w/ pizza & wine. Goodbye

We'll settle for detailed review of your evening.:p

luvdemheels
May 31st, 2007, 01:55 PM
Anyone else get their Dell yet??

prizrak
May 31st, 2007, 01:59 PM
Stupid shipping problems :( I'm sorry dude hope the replacement arrives soon. (Incidentally that is why I tend to use thick stainless steel cases).

Rhuac
June 1st, 2007, 05:16 AM
I got my laptop today woo!

Plugged it in, booted it up, and went through the 4 steps involving location/language/keyboard/user.

Everything was fine, installed Automatix2 and let the auto-updater install all the updates. Then I rebooted and I got a "Error 17: Unable to mount partition." I was at work and didn't have the time to mess with it so when I got it home I booted it up again and got the same error. I ended up fixing the problem my manually editing the grub line from
root (hd0,0)
to
root (hd0,2)
and then booting and then I went in to the /boot/grub/menu.lst and made the changes permanent.

I'm not an expert so I can't explain why this happened... something updated and messed with my grub menu.lst file? I don't know.

BUT the cool thing is I tried out the RESTORE TO FACTORY DEFAULT option and that's rather nice. I didn't have to insert the LiveCD or anything. The system reformatted and I let it sit while I went out for a bike ride. When I came back in it was sitting there waiting at the initial 4 steps when I first got it.

So I was miffed at first but eh, I fixed it, learned something new, and I'm happy again.

One more thing... Suspend actually works woo!

Kannisto
June 1st, 2007, 09:27 AM
I rebooted and I got a "Error 17: Unable to mount partition." I was at work and didn't have the time to mess with it so when I got it home I booted it up again and got the same error. I ended up fixing the problem my manually editing the grub line from
root (hd0,0)
to
root (hd0,2)
and then booting and then I went in to the /boot/grub/menu.lst and made the changes permanent.

I'm not an expert so I can't explain why this happened... something updated and messed with my grub menu.lst file? I don't know.

Check out
sudo fdisk -l there may be a restore partition and something else added in the production stage that they have not taken into account.

DC@DR
June 1st, 2007, 09:47 AM
I'm envying you guys, lucky Yankees :p. I'd love to see Dell start shipping Ubuntu preinstalled pcs world wide soon :-)

prizrak
June 1st, 2007, 02:24 PM
I'm envying you guys, lucky Yankees :p. I'd love to see Dell start shipping Ubuntu preinstalled pcs world wide soon :-)

Blame your government, the US tried to take over your country in the 60's but your government just wouldn't let them!
;)

ccfiel
June 1st, 2007, 05:05 PM
rhuac, what is your video card? hibernate and sleep also works? :)

DC@DR
June 1st, 2007, 05:10 PM
Blame your government, the US tried to take over your country in the 60's but your government just wouldn't let them!
;)
I do NOT want to start a flame war over politics here, so think twice before saying any bullsh*t nonsense!

prizrak
June 1st, 2007, 05:29 PM
I do NOT want to start a flame war over politics here, so think twice before saying any bullsh*t nonsense!

The smiley denotes a joke dude, chill ;)

Rhuac
June 3rd, 2007, 10:52 PM
rhuac, what is your video card? hibernate and sleep also works? :)

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950

Yep, works for me. Neat huh?

liquidfunk
June 3rd, 2007, 10:57 PM
Why does the UK get everything last?!:(

celsofaf
June 4th, 2007, 12:50 AM

It doesn't. Believe me.

DJ Wings
June 4th, 2007, 01:31 AM
They get Muse... :D

meng
June 4th, 2007, 01:37 AM
Well, they got to be at war with Germany first ... twice!

Tux Aubrey
June 4th, 2007, 02:41 AM
Originally Posted by liquidfunk
Why does the UK get everything last?!

Too many reasons to list right now. But it is basically an organised boycott by the rest of the world as punishment for past colonialism, the cuisine, the weather, Geoff Boycott, and the Spice Girls. Sorry.

CaveRat
June 4th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Very good specs for those systems at a decent price. Congrats to both of you on your purchases. Bummer state of affairs on the torn up desktop though. Never had a problem with Fedex myself.
As far as the foreign sales goes, give them time to test the waters. This is a whole new experience for Dell too. From the sounds of it, they have definitely found people who know what's what in the Linux world to get these systems up and running solid. If this adventure takes off and gives Dell Corporate good sales reports, I'm sure there will be opportunities for the foreign market. Be patient Buntu brothers and sisters and try to contact Dell to assure them of your desires to own one of your own Dell-Buntu computers. If enough people from foreign soil express their desires, world sales could maybe happen sooner than later.

prizrak
June 4th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Shut up! You guys get the Skyline (all of them V-Spec btw nothing below) and you've been getting Evo for years. Not to mention that the UK is the only one with the 400BHP Evo that can keep up with Lambo's and such in the twisties.