PDA

View Full Version : So what is it; Trash, Deleted Items or Wastebasket?

happy-and-lost
May 29th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Ok, I've seen a fair few inconsistencies in several areas of Ubuntu, but most are in Beta versions and ironed out by the time the final release is published.

I've noticed, however, that either Gnome or Feisty devs can't make up their minds as to what to call the folder all unwanted files go before being sent to data heaven...

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=33763&stc=1&d=1180471369

So what should this folder be called? Trash, Deleted Items or Wastebasket?

starcraft.man
May 29th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Trash. Short and gets right to the point. Wastebasket is a long word and Deleted Items is two. I just like words short, simple and right to the point (even if some of my posts tend to be rather on the long side and drawn out).

Maybe someone should code a silly little program that lets you title the Trash bin to be whatever a person likes (I dunno how hard or easy that would be, just a thought) :p.

dbbolton
May 29th, 2007, 09:58 PM
i like to call it "Refuse Receptacle"

icechen1
May 29th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Trash,small work and simple.
By the way,what theme you use,it is soooo good.

yabbadabbadont
May 29th, 2007, 10:00 PM
"what is it"

The first thing I disable on every OS/Desktop environment that provides it. The use of it leads to sloppy thinking and mistakes. If you aren't sure that you want to delete something, or think that you might want it back later, then don't delete it in the first place.

/end of rant

:D

Edit: Oh, just for an on-topic comment, it is "The Bit-Bucket" ;)

ceelo
May 29th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Trash is good. I usually hide it anyway so it doesn't matter to me. I just Shift+Del when I want to get rid of files. No second-guessing. :p

stmiller
May 29th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Missing option:

Waste Management Services

;)

starcraft.man
May 29th, 2007, 10:12 PM
"what is it"

The first thing I disable on every OS/Desktop environment that provides it. The use of it leads to sloppy thinking and mistakes. If you aren't sure that you want to delete something, or think that you might want it back later, then don't delete it in the first place.

/end of rant

:D

Edit: Oh, just for an on-topic comment, it is "The Bit-Bucket" ;)

LOL! I like that name, but it still rides second to Trash, can't beat simplicity IMO.

init1
May 29th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Personally, I don't use graphical file managers. I think "Deleted Files" is the most accurate, but I would prefer to just delete them.

yabbadabbadont
May 29th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I think "Deleted Files" is the most accurate

But they aren't deleted (yet), just moved... ;)

juxtaposed
May 29th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Trash.

Paul820
May 29th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I don't really use mine, i just enable the delete choice in the context menu. I call it the bin.

blackspyder
May 29th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Trash

H.E. Pennypacker
May 29th, 2007, 11:41 PM
What are you running? Gusty Gibbon? I am trying to figure out what makes your desktop look so good. It is obviously not the default Ubuntu theme, but it probably is not Feisty either.

TheRingmaster
May 30th, 2007, 12:38 AM
How about "Deletable Items". I am proud of that one.

aysiu
May 30th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Rubbish bin?

BuffaloX
May 30th, 2007, 01:07 AM
I voted other.
I don't like the words waste, trash or garbage.
and they are not actually deleted, just moved.

I would prefer "Removed items", "removed files" or "file bin"

Maybe you can come up with something better.

kevinlyfellow
May 30th, 2007, 01:18 AM
How about "Recycle Bin" ;-)

Trash is fine, it works, everyone knows what it is.

visionaire
May 30th, 2007, 01:41 AM
i use shift+del key, so never used that thing:D

macogw
May 30th, 2007, 06:30 AM
What are you running? Gusty Gibbon? I am trying to figure out what makes your desktop look so good. It is obviously not the default Ubuntu theme, but it probably is not Feisty either.

It's just Beryl with an semi-transparent .png image set for the panel backgrounds and, I think the Emerald "Wombat Black" theme (I prefer the "Scaled Black Mod" Looks like there's a GTK theme too maybe (the diagonals).

I delete the bottom panel, so I don't use that applet. I usually rm files I don't want instead of using the mouse at all, too. But I'd call it Trash.

kevinlyfellow
May 30th, 2007, 07:54 AM
I've noticed, however, that either Gnome or Feisty devs can't make up their minds as to what to call the folder all unwanted files go before being sent to data heaven...

So what should this folder be called? Trash, Deleted Items or Wastebasket?

Everything seems to be consistent on mine. I don't know why yours is different

Spr0k3t
May 30th, 2007, 09:44 AM
I've used the following in the past... even before moving back to Linux:

"Windows Workspace"
"Yet to be deleted items"
"My Computer" - had fun with that one
"My Documents" - even better!
"Uninstall Sony Rootkit"
"Super Secret Secured Source Selected for Scrub"
"DelBin" and "Dell Bin"
"13"

And the last of them all... "My Favorites"

Granted, some of them were not used on my systems, more for gags than anything else. However, I prefer "Trash" over most other options. Send to trash, sure, but you still have to empty it if you don't want to see it again.

JC_510
May 30th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Is it really that hard for the user to change the name of 'the trash' to whatever they personally prefer?

I'd see it called 'Rubbish', but thats just because i'm from the UK, and we don't use 'trash' over here.

happy-and-lost
May 30th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Trash,small work and simple.
By the way,what theme you use,it is soooo good.

A bit off topic, but I use Compiz (Smoother than Beryl on my ATi x300) with most of the Feisty presets, the Murrine Metacity (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Murrine+Metacity?content=57999) and MurrinaGraphiteGentle (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/MurrinaGraphiteGentle?content=48237), Tango Icons (Some Gnome ones for folder Icons) and the stripy panel made from stripes from one of my favourite sties for generating awesome GIMP patterns, The Stripe Generator (http://www.stripegenerator.com/).

sysdrum
May 30th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Dump
..... because that is where it all goes in the end

happy-and-lost
May 30th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Everything seems to be consistent on mine. I don't know why yours is different

Now you mention it, it may be the en_GB language pack.

Maybe this is a bug which needs to be reported to the "translators"?

peterbrewer
May 30th, 2007, 01:38 PM
'Folder of Crap' or even 'Crap Folder'

Never mind...

red_Marvin
May 30th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Bit Recycler.
Or how about limbo or purgatory - the files are gone but haven't disappeared from this world yet. ^_^

Shazaam
May 30th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Trash.

O/T when I added my wife as a separate user account it changed from "Trash" to "Wastebasket" for both accounts. Hmmm.........

matthinckley
May 30th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Let's call it the Items you tried to delete but are still taking up valuable space on your hard disk until you empty me folder

justifier
May 30th, 2007, 04:04 PM
As its for stuff that will eventually end up in the bin and you want to save the space how about:

"under the bed"

?

Sunflower1970
May 30th, 2007, 04:08 PM
I like Trash. Short, to the point.

But, amusingly, one of the Trash bin icons I use for it is actually a recycle bin...