PDA

View Full Version : what installs faster for you

atlfalcons866
May 29th, 2007, 09:26 PM
it took me 3 hours for windows xp to be fully ready install all the programs and updates.
With ubuntu it took 90 Minutes

meng
May 29th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Ubuntu: 60 minutes (fully updated, this was Edgy mind you).
Windows: 24 hours (multiple rounds of updates over 1 day, although the computer was not on continuously)

Hex_Mandos
May 29th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Ubuntu is much faster to install and tweak to meet my needs than XP+drivers+Office+Firefox+AV+Antispyware+IM clients+CD Burning software

happy-and-lost
May 29th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Ubuntu... about 45 minutes with Tweaks, all required software etc etc etc. Mind, that is with most of my config in the /home partition anyway...

Windows? 3 hours last time, just to get a basic system with SP2, anitvirus and Antispyware set up.

FuturePilot
May 29th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Ubuntu by far is the fastest. I can have a complete up to date install with all the extras that I want in about an hour to an hour and a half. Windows takes me up to a week to get everything back to the way I had it.

ceelo
May 29th, 2007, 09:58 PM
The package manager makes it incredibly easy to get all your software updated and installed fast. Being that you can pretty much download and install everything you need with one command, it makes things very convenient. But all things considered, Windows is not a very long setup process either (for me anyway). The updates are a bit annoying though, especially those times when I choose to "restart later" and then it eventually decides to restart on it's own.

My most unpleasant OS installation process had to be Fedora Core 6. Several times the updater would freeze and crash, and when it was working properly, it would download incredibly slow. It's probably the biggest thing that drew me away.

bobbybobington
May 29th, 2007, 10:07 PM
windows took an hour at least, whereas the actual install of feisty took about 20 min. Ubuntu is definitely faster

starcraft.man
May 29th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I agree, Ubuntu installs faster (assuming no error with live CD like the tty control problem, and long as user knows exactly what doing with both installs). It also updates faster and can be customized and put to use with less reboots and less time wasted. Doesn't seem like much of a competition to me. I've certainly reformatted and reinstalled windows enough times over my years to know it takes a while...

insane_alien
May 29th, 2007, 10:44 PM
ubuntu 60 mins from the start of the download. includes the home made script to get to how i like it.

Windows 98: 1h 53min (the timer on the installer said 45 minutes though. i trust my clock synchronised with an atomic clock every hour)

XP: 3h to the dot. this is without driver installation and troubleshooting to give it a fighting chance.

juxtaposed
May 29th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Windows XP was just over 15 minutes with a XP SP1 untouched CD, and 13 minutes with my own minimal version (in vmware even). It takes maybe another 10 minutes or so to install drivers. I don't install anti virus or anti spyware or anything like that.

Ubuntu and Debian I think were somewhere around an hour maybe, maybe a little more or less. I didn't time it. openSuSE was longer then that.

I still like linux better though :) I bet a linux distro from 5 years ago would install pretty fast too.

runningwithscissors
May 30th, 2007, 05:08 AM
It takes me about a half-hour to get a base Gentoo install.

If I were to create binary packages of all the stuff I install, I'd have a system with a GUI and common apps installed in an hour.

Crafty Kisses
May 30th, 2007, 06:02 AM
it took me 3 hours for windows xp to be fully ready install all the programs and updates.
With ubuntu it took 90 Minutes

Ubuntu by FAR, Windows always takes so long to install. The funny thing to is Ubuntu has more features than Windows and it still doesn't take ALL that long to install.