PDA

View Full Version : "Longhorn Reloaded"; What Vista was supposed to be?

maniacmusician
May 29th, 2007, 08:39 PM
http://crunchgear.com/2007/05/29/longhorn-lives/

http://longhorn-reloaded.org/index.php

What do you think?

floke
May 29th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Longhorn reloaded - DON'T CLICK ON THE WIKI - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

maniacmusician
May 29th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Longhorn reloaded - DON'T CLICK ON THE WIKI - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
...hmm?

edit: ugh, he's right. Don't click on the wiki link.

So the project is a joke then?

floke
May 29th, 2007, 08:44 PM
ManiacMusician - I can't post the link I get here - but I will PM it you now.
You really should remove the link until you see it.

floke
May 29th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Just saw the edit - so you feel sick as well??

Swab
I don;t get it. How can 1 coder revive longhorn?

Was WinFS included in the 2004 release or is this the revival project's implementation? Seems like it's just a theme on top of an old alpha release.

Lucifiel
Why? What's within the wiki link?

Edit: Oh EWWWWWW... think it was some spammer who tried to make the wiki look bad.

Swab
May 29th, 2007, 08:46 PM
What's the deal with the wiki?

starcraft.man
May 29th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Why? What's within the wiki link?

I'm equally curious, since you posted not click it. I assume there is a very good reason. Whats so bad about the link and whats going on?

teejay17
May 29th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Yeah, I'm curious too: what's in the wiki link?
I don't feel like clicking on it though, especially if it's gross. I'm at work.

maniacmusician
May 29th, 2007, 08:49 PM
I'm equally curious, since you posted not click it. I assume there is a very good reason. Whats so bad about the link and whats going on?
just a disgusting picture. Nothing interesting.

floke
May 29th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Just don't click it.
And Maniac - please remove the link dude, there could be kids around!

** EDIT ** Sorry, just noticed you've removed it. Nice one.

maniacmusician
May 29th, 2007, 08:50 PM
well the longhorn-reloaded site is okay, just don't click on their "Wiki" link. It contains potentialyl offensive, NSFW material.

Lucifiel
May 29th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Yeah well, someone already edited the wiki. So, the link shouldn't display.

And gross... that place is just the cesspit of the Internet.

starcraft.man
May 29th, 2007, 08:56 PM

Bleh, world is full of immature people (not just wikis).... I thought it was something a wee bit more mailcious, oh well. So much for Vista :p.

maniacmusician
May 29th, 2007, 08:56 PM

yeah, the offensive material was removed, so I've restored the link. Safe to use now.

Back on topic; What do you guys think about it? I'm downloading the .iso so I can run it in vbox and see if it doesn't suck.

Swab
May 29th, 2007, 08:57 PM
yeah, the offensive material was removed, so I've restored the link. Safe to use now.

Back on topic; What do you guys think about it? I'm downloading the .iso so I can run it in vbox and see if it doesn't suck.

I don't see how these guys can really release anything new. It's not like hey have access to the source.

maniacmusician
May 29th, 2007, 09:09 PM
I don't see how these guys can really release anything new. It's not like hey have access to the source.
http://www.joejoe.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=3858

They still dont have access to the code itself, but I guess depending on how good the team is, they may be able to turn it into something. I'm just curious about it, not hopeful.

starcraft.man
May 29th, 2007, 09:10 PM
I am equally sceptical like Swab. I don't think they coded in all the features that were omitted from Vista or did anything different. I guess its just a cracked version? You can tell us, I'm not installing Vista, I don't really want it :).

H.E. Pennypacker
May 29th, 2007, 09:16 PM

Not that you want to, but you can still view the spam page. It contained a picture of a guy's behind (very close up picture of some guy's anus). Absolutely disgusting.

Go to the history tab to check it out.

juxtaposed
May 29th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Looks interesting...

SonicSteve
May 30th, 2007, 12:24 AM
I don't understand how this could possibly be revived. It belongs to Microsoft and they abandoned it. It's still theirs though.

maniacmusician
May 30th, 2007, 12:33 AM
I don't understand how this could possibly be revived. It belongs to Microsoft and they abandoned it. It's still theirs though.
http://www.joejoe.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=3858

teejay17
May 30th, 2007, 12:53 AM
What would be the point of using this software? Does it have any conceivable advantage? Would it even be compatible with anything?
Another important point to consider: would it be considered Open Source?

afljafa
May 30th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Lol - sounds like some of you lot where goatsed - gross hey.

maniacmusician
May 30th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Lol - sounds like some of you lot where goatsed - gross hey.
lol, figures that it would happen on a microsoft related site.

I downloaded the .iso but didn't feel like going through the hassle of trying it. I'll set it up in a VM tonight and see how it is.

SonicSteve
May 30th, 2007, 03:06 PM
I'm not sure I see the point of Longhorn reloaded. Microsoft doesn't even consider MS-DOS abandonware. If you really push them on it they will tell you that you need a proper license even after all these years. I wanted to install it on a bunch of computers a while ago, they said no! I was doing it for Ministry/Charity and they still said no. It didn't create much good will in my books towards them.
So if they did that with DOS there is no chance that longhorn reloaded will ever even get up to bat!

super breadfish
May 30th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Why would you need to run Longhorn, regardless of the legality? It's an unfinished and abandoned OS. Most software and hardware is probably unsupported, and it will never be improved. It's not like say, Blender, where the source code was acquired and development can be continued. Or am I missing something here?

sysdrum
May 30th, 2007, 06:36 PM
who knows you won't know till it is to late some times

maniacmusician
May 31st, 2007, 01:25 AM
Well I'm assuming that the team that has restarted development of this OS is planning on actually finishing it. I don't know how they're going to do it or if they will do it at all, but that's the plan.

Honestly, I'm not expecting much, since it's still just Windows, but I am a little curious to see what they can do. This is an M1 release, and they say that M2 will really reflect the work they're putting into it.

swker
May 31st, 2007, 03:07 AM
does anyone have an ISO link not torrent and is this safe to download where we wont get microsoft slaping lawsuits on eveyone

maniacmusician
May 31st, 2007, 03:23 AM
does anyone have an ISO link not torrent and is this safe to download where we wont get microsoft slaping lawsuits on eveyone
until mictosoft explicitly states that they want the project shut down, it'll be okay.

and no, there's only the torrent download. It's actually pretty fast...

starcraft.man
May 31st, 2007, 03:42 AM
You know...... I don't really see what all the fuss is about.... we're Linux users no?

swker
May 31st, 2007, 04:08 AM
i might download it then, how is the program compatibility? i heard it can only run a few programs

maniacmusician
May 31st, 2007, 04:29 AM
You know...... I don't really see what all the fuss is about.... we're Linux users no?
No fuss? Just curious. I don't see what the big deal about it is. I think it's kind of interesting that a team of normal people is picking up an abandoned OS and is seeing what they can make of it. The work here may be closed source and originally from microsoft, but it's being done in more of an open source spirit.

I'm just interested in seeing what, if anything, these people can do.

starcraft.man
May 31st, 2007, 04:49 AM
No fuss? Just curious. I don't see what the big deal about it is. I think it's kind of interesting that a team of normal people is picking up an abandoned OS and is seeing what they can make of it. The work here may be closed source and originally from microsoft, but it's being done in more of an open source spirit.

I'm just interested in seeing what, if anything, these people can do.

Well have fun looking at it then, I'll be sceptical until MS sues them or threatens to blow them up or something, then I know their doing something real that makes them insecure/threatened (like their Linux FUD) :p.

maniacmusician
May 31st, 2007, 05:07 AM
Well have fun looking at it then, I'll be sceptical until MS sues them or threatens to blow them up or something, then I know their doing something real that makes them insecure/threatened (like their Linux FUD) :p.
haha I did take a look at it. It's not particularly interesting yet.

The only thing that I liked about it was the login graphics. there was some slick animation going on, which was nice. Other than that...[yawn]...

human
May 31st, 2007, 05:31 AM
I installed the newest version alongside Ubuntu on its own partition. Install failed with a BSoD the first time, but the second time it was fine. However, when I actually got into the OS, some of the registry patches failed and I still can't get them to work. For an alpha, I say it's pretty nice.

EdThaSlayer
May 31st, 2007, 05:44 AM
Damn, I missed that nasty wiki link. Those Longhorn guys cleaned it up. :(

afljafa
May 31st, 2007, 06:38 AM
Damn, I missed that nasty wiki link. Those Longhorn guys cleaned it up. :(

Well - if it was goatse - you`d be getting an eyeful of the inside of some guys rectum. Trust me - you aint missing anything.

EdThaSlayer
May 31st, 2007, 01:00 PM
Well - if it was goatse - you`d be getting an eyeful of the inside of some guys rectum. Trust me - you aint missing anything.

Oh, ok, I see, thanks for telling me this. Glad I didn't go there!! :p

mozetti
May 31st, 2007, 01:14 PM
Wow, so this is really a "legit" project -- meaning, it really is a working OS based off a Longhorn developer release? Might have to check it out just to see what they've done with it.

swker
May 31st, 2007, 09:08 PM
kk im going to try to download it now but this is my first time with bittorret, i tried azureus hopefully ill be able to do it right

swker
June 1st, 2007, 03:40 AM
well maybe im not gona download it now
http://www.joejoe.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=8513

shijirou
June 1st, 2007, 03:53 AM
Microsoft might be knocking on their door when this thing catches the attention of some people. How'd they acquire the whole code of that in the first place?

kamaboko
June 1st, 2007, 03:54 AM
This was posted on the developer site yesterday:

Dear Members and developers,

It is with sad news that I have to inform you that today due to a cesit and decist letter we recived from microsoft we are no longer able to provide you with a download link to longhorn reloaded. It deeply saddens me that although microsoft have known about this project for many months they only issued us with this notice a few days after we started to distribute the iso via torrents and ftp server.

From now on any links posted or any requests asking for a download link to LHR the post will be deleted and the thread closed.

I am just as sorry as you guys are about this, but we got to think about the community as a whole first.

Many regards,

cr1t1cal.

maniacmusician
June 1st, 2007, 04:04 AM
This was posted on the developer site yesterday:

Dear Members and developers,

It is with sad news that I have to inform you that today due to a cesit and decist letter we recived from microsoft we are no longer able to provide you with a download link to longhorn reloaded. It deeply saddens me that although microsoft have known about this project for many months they only issued us with this notice a few days after we started to distribute the iso via torrents and ftp server.

From now on any links posted or any requests asking for a download link to LHR the post will be deleted and the thread closed.

I am just as sorry as you guys are about this, but we got to think about the community as a whole first.

Many regards,

cr1t1cal.
haha, was just waiting for that to happen :D a bit amusing that the joejoe.org dev's thought that it wouldn't. there's no way microsoft would let them continue with it.

init1
June 1st, 2007, 04:09 AM
I don't see any wiki links. Was it removed?

Quillz
June 1st, 2007, 04:55 AM
I'm quite sure this is illegal and will be shut down by Microsoft soon.

the_darkside_986
June 1st, 2007, 06:30 AM
This is either a joke or they have no idea what they are doing. They should just go help with ReactOS since they are in need of developers. I would like to help but I know nothing of OS design and my knowledge of intel assembly language is weak.

falkTX
April 2nd, 2008, 04:31 PM
Longhorn Reloaded is dead (or at least they say so);
I just don't understand why Micro$oft abandon it since it look almost perfect...
Cause I don't like Vista (It really socks),
Maybe they are still developing it but hidden from world (i wish...)