PDA

View Full Version : mail box full of weird emails

scrooge_74
May 29th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Just to share on something which just happened to me, maybe someone else had this same occurrence.

I manage my business mail through Yahoo Business, I have setup the admin email account to catch emails which have been written wrong. It does happens from time to time.

Well today I had about 4,000 emails that came in the last 24 hours from servers bouncing back all sort of fake addresses that finish with my company url. For me it was just a matter of deleting things through Yahoo web mail and emptying the spam folder, but I imagine someone is having a heck of a day.

I am thinking of making changes to the admin box so this does not happen again, but then I may lose the one or two emails a month that someone misspells.

tgm4883
May 29th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Unfortunetly that happens. We had that same problem and had to make the same conclusion, so now we bounce emails that have no mailbox. The good thing is that if a real person is sending the email, they will see it bounced and correct the problem.

scrooge_74
May 29th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Never thought of it that way, I will make the changes right away.

DJ Wings
May 29th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Gmail has awesome spam filtering...

Somenoob
May 29th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Gmail has awesome spam filtering...

But gmail can't block addresses

scrooge_74
May 29th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Well yahoo filtered about 90% of the garbage (still there was 600 or so emails left in the inbox)

After posting, there were about 200 emails in the spam folder and about 25 in the inbox, so I have now disable the catch all box.