PDA

View Full Version : Is Dapper completely stable now?

FuturePilot
May 29th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I've noticed that there has only been one set of updates in like the last week. Before it seemed there used to be updates every couple of days or so. I thought there was something wrong with the Update Notifier, so I opened the Update Manager and manually checked for updates. Nothing. Just curious if maybe this means complete stability?

mips
May 29th, 2007, 05:23 PM
There will still be security updates. Updates are added as the need arises to do so.

aysiu
May 29th, 2007, 05:24 PM
How do you define "stable"?

starcraft.man
May 29th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I've noticed that there has only been one set of updates in like the last week. Before it seemed there used to be updates every couple of days or so. I thought there was something wrong with the Update Notifier, so I opened the Update Manager and manually checked for updates. Nothing. Just curious if maybe this means complete stability?

Sorry to crush your dreams, but IMO there is no such thing as software (OS or App) that is "completely stable" Murphy's law forbids such a thing (not to mention, a user will inevitably, in all likelihood make a mistake, I have). That said, I suppose dapper doesn't have the problems we have been having with Feisty (the tty problem for instance with new kernel), but I don't think its really that much more stable once installed completely (I have had my computer on uptime for 4 days for instance). You will continue to get updates after this week, the purpose of Dapper was to be a stable and long term supported solution (mostly for businesses I imagine).

So no, in the strict sense, I don't think anything is "completely stable". The updates are usually to patch security flaws and other bugs uncovered in the software, it doesn't strictly have to be something tied to dapper though.

FuturePilot
May 29th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Of course. I just noticed that there seems to be fewer now, so that would mean it's pretty stable. No?

FuturePilot
May 29th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Sorry to crush your dreams, but IMO there is no such thing as software (OS or App) that is "completely stable" Murphy's law forbids such a thing (not to mention, a user will inevitably, in all likelihood make a mistake, I have). That said, I suppose dapper doesn't have the problems we have been having with Feisty (the tty problem for instance with new kernel), but I don't think its really that much more stable once installed completely. You will continue to get updates after this week, the purpose of Dapper was to be a stable and long term supported solution (mostly for businesses I imagine).

So no, in the strict sense, I don't think anything is "completely stable".
:lolflag: Yes Murphy's Law. I realize that there is no piece of software of OS that is 100% stable, but Dapper has seemed rock solid to me. Except for suspend, but I don't use that anyway.

I define stable as no bugs such as programs crashing when you do a certain thing. There were a few issues in Feisty that were driving me insane.

aysiu
May 29th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Of course. I just noticed that there seems to be fewer now, so that would mean it's pretty stable. No?
Well, if that's how you're defining completely stable, then, yes, but so would Edgy and Feisty and all the other Ubuntu releases.

Ubuntu releases tend to get few to zero updates after release day.

starcraft.man
May 29th, 2007, 05:29 PM

Less updates really only means that the devs/coders haven't found or sent out updates. Take Windows for example, just because (hypothetical example, I know there are almost no months of no updates) person A has no updates in month of March, doesn't mean that Windows has magically become more stable/secure than it was before. Just means that they are either working on writing/testing new fixes, or haven't found new bugs/are looking.