PDA

View Full Version : Quick questions on Running Windows inside Linux

Supergoo
May 29th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Hey guys just a few quick questions if you would indulge me please, here is the story in a nut shell, I at one time had all M$ products gone, but had to go back to use M$ for a bit and now have Windows Vista ( Crap Vista) , anyway I have completed what I had to do, and want to get back to Linux again, but since I am still learning I need some advice to see if something is possible. I want to be able to run WindowsXp or Vista inside Ubuntu in something like VMWare, the reason is the following, if I have to use a windows App (Not Games) I can boot into Linux fire up the needed M$ OS do what I need and get it done, I do not want to go through this M$ crap again, also just a side note I have a Zune the wife bought and it would be nice to be able to sync music to it, ( I am waiting for Linux for this Machine):p

A few reasons I want to get back to Linux if you will bare with me -

My system is a 3.33Ghz Celeron, 2 Gig Ram , X1900 Ati card, it ran like a bat out of hell under linux but under Vista it runs so-so, I know this is not the most top of the line system , but it should have alittle life left in it, I am not ready to drop another 1200 bucks on a machine right now.

I have a intel based Mac and I do not want to pay the the high cost of replacing it when I can buy good hardware at a fraction of the cost and have it run better, and faster, (Building a Linux Box)

The most important reason is I HATE not being able to customize my machine the way I want, because some suit At M$ or Apple decided not to allow it, I also do not like being subject to the whims of other people telling me that I must jump through this hoop and that hoop and they might allow me to use their OS.

One last thing , if I can not use the Ipod or Zune in Linux I am willing to let them go, can you suggest a good MP3 player that works well under linux, would be nice to use .ogg if possible. Thanks

Again thanks for your time
Supergoo

I so want to have Beryl Running:)

erwinquita
May 29th, 2007, 08:12 AM
You can check and try wine. Here's a how-to to get started

How to install wine (http://www.ibatayo.com/rails/categories/5/posts/11)

How to install dreamweaver (http://www.ibatayo.com/rails/categories/5/posts/12)

Hope this helps ;)

mips
May 29th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Uuse VMWare server, it's free and more versatile than vmware player.

I dunno about Vista but XP will install in vmware without hassles.

AndyCooll
May 29th, 2007, 12:53 PM
As the previous poster says you can install XP (at the very least) in VMware Server ...or VirtualBox for that matter, and it runs fine. I used it to play a game I couldn't get running in Linux at the time.

If it's just a couple of apps, you might want to look into seeing if you can get them running directly in Linux using Wine.

In terms of players, Cowon's are a good place to start. There are a number of threads on these boards with people asking the same question.

:cool:

moredhel
May 29th, 2007, 01:01 PM
You can use ipods in linux very easily, I use gtkpod for videos and amarok for audio. infact, it's better than using itunes xD

I'm not sure about zunes though.

Oh and I've got a 5.5 gen/6 gen (whichever you refer to it as ) 30gb, so the latest _does_ work :)

feverfresh
May 30th, 2007, 04:44 PM
I like floola for updating my iPod. It is a different concept, but the bonus is, you can add songs from any computer running floola- Windows, Mac or Linux.

Podcast support is a little tricky and ogg, as you are aware, is not supported on the iPod.

juxtaposed
May 30th, 2007, 11:50 PM
and ogg, as you are aware, is not supported on the iPod.

I'm pretty sure rockbox plays vorbis on ipods.

reacocard
May 31st, 2007, 12:58 AM
I'm pretty sure rockbox plays vorbis on ipods.

...and flac, wma, and a half-dozen more beyond the ipod norm as well. Only downside of Rockbox is it gets worse battery life.

Tomosaur
May 31st, 2007, 01:19 AM
My system is a 3.33Ghz Celeron, 2 Gig Ram , X1900 Ati card, it ran like a bat out of hell under linux but under Vista it runs so-so, I know this is not the most top of the line system , but it should have alittle life left in it, I am not ready to drop another 1200 bucks on a machine right now.

Are you kidding me? This is a beast of a machine! I haven't tried Vista, but if it can only run 'so-so' on your hardware, then my own would probably explode.

For reference, my own specs:
Pentium 2.6Ghz (two of em)
512MB Ram
Nvidia GF FX5200 128mb

Ubuntu runs great on it, Windows XP runs pretty good, but I rarely use it except for when I absolutely have to. XP boots as if it is running in treacle. Ubuntu flies constantly.

The Noble
May 31st, 2007, 01:28 AM
Amarok supports ipods out of the box, so that is no problem (as long as it is audio). Try http://appdb.winehq.org/ to see if wine supports the program you want to work. If it doesn't, try virtualbox or vmware.

maniacmusician
May 31st, 2007, 01:46 AM
You can absolutely install Windows inside Linux using a virtual machine. I recommend VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/ ). It works quite well for this.

the iPod will probably work under Linux, but I recommend buying something else anyways :p. Hot products right now are the Creative Zen mp3 players (there's variaous models). Cowon makes some good mp3 players as well, that work well with Linux. I would read various reviews before you make any decisions.