PDA

View Full Version : A book about Mono

granite230
July 1st, 2005, 06:25 PM
I have a question about Mono. I just installed Mono-1.1.8.1 on my Ubuntu system and I would like to learn how to program C# with it, and ofcourse also: how does Mono work? What's possible with Mono and what isn't.

So I spotted this (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0596007922/ref=pd_sxp_f/002-0167689-1930446?v=glance&s=books) book and I was wondering if any of you read this book? Was it helpful?

I noticed this book covers version 1.0. That's an older version. Does it matter?

I'm asking because I might purchase this book but I'm not sure yet. I need to learn it good and fast so I need something complete. Not a thousand tutorials from a thousand sites (ofcourse these sites are welcome, but I also need something complete).

I also need to learn C# and I don't know which book to read first. The best thing would be for me to learn C# from the ground up using Mono instead of Visual Studio.
So if anyone knows a very good book on how to learn C#, I'd like to hear it from you!

granite230
July 3rd, 2005, 02:15 PM
So I just ordered the book... it's amazing that it's possible for me to order it in the Netherlands... I found many interesting books on amazon.com but when I try to order them here, they cant deliver it... very frustrating.

Mr. Electric Wizard
July 3rd, 2005, 02:38 PM
Definately let us know how it turns out...
I am very interested in doing Vb.net with mono!

fierarul
July 7th, 2005, 12:29 PM
I have a question about Mono. I just installed Mono-1.1.8.1 on my Ubuntu system and I would like to learn how to program C# with it, and ofcourse also: how does Mono work? What's possible with Mono and what isn't.

So I spotted this (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0596007922/ref=pd_sxp_f/002-0167689-1930446?v=glance&s=books) book and I was wondering if any of you read this book? Was it helpful?

I noticed this book covers version 1.0. That's an older version. Does it matter?

I'm asking because I might purchase this book but I'm not sure yet. I need to learn it good and fast so I need something complete. Not a thousand tutorials from a thousand sites (ofcourse these sites are welcome, but I also need something complete).

I also need to learn C# and I don't know which book to read first. The best thing would be for me to learn C# from the ground up using Mono instead of Visual Studio.
So if anyone knows a very good book on how to learn C#, I'd like to hear it from you!
I guess you should mainly just program in C#. You'll only need help with the Gtk# since the winforms are a no-no.

Other than that I see no great reason the focus on mono. Since they want to bring .net to the *nix, they should also provide compatibility with the standards,etc.

It's like using a different java compiler: you just write plain Java and don't care about the compiler. If it's any good you won't even have to.